Cintron targets UFC titlist!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 7, 2005

Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he doesn't want to battle a UFC champion. No problem. IBF World Welterweight Champion and former high school/college wrestling star Kermit Cintron would like to accept the challenge from UFC President Dana White, it was announced today by Main Events CEO Kathy Duva. Cintron, who will be defending his IBF crown against mandatory challenger Walter Matthysse on July 14 in Atlantic City, NJ, would like to battle the UFC champion following his June IBF title defense. "I want the fight," said Cintron. "I can wrestle. I can box. I can beat those UFC fighters at their own game. Tell Mr. White to make me an offer and I'll take on his guy after I fight Matthysse on July 14." Cintron (27-1, 25 KO's) captured the vacant IBF crown on October 28, 2006, when he destroyed Mark Suarez in six rounds (TKO 6). The 27-year-old Reading, PA resident by way of Carolinas, Puerto Rico once finished 10th at the NJCAA Wrestling Championships. As a senior in high school he was offered full wrestling scholarships to Wisconsin University and Ohio State University. The Cintron-Matthysse bout will serve as the co-feature to the Arturo Gatti-Alfonso Gomez contest. Main Events is promoting the July 14 evening of boxing, in association with The Tournament of Contenders, LLC and Caesars Atlantic City.

Source: www.fightnews.com

Feb 12, 2006
www.chibangin.com
gomez from the contender seas 1? you guys think gatti will mop his ass or wha? any of the other fighters done anything since then like manfredo or sergio cant remember his last name.. this dude wants to fight who shawn sherk? or the ufc welterweight champion? ive never saw this guy fight so i dunno how bad he is but 27 wins 25 by KO means he is pretty sick lol maybe he would beat the ufc guy?

Feb 12, 2004
He stands a way better chance than Mayweather. Pretty good Wrestling background but I doubt it happens. Mayweather is where it was at(big mouth/publicity/money/best p4p).

Dec 9, 2005
Cintron can definitely bang, but he needs to train for a while, those leg kicks are no joke, and a boxer's wide stance leaves him wide open for 'em.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
young_tine said:
I Dont think he could hang with wrestling skills like Matt Hughes would kick his ass. his wrestlling is superior and I bet Hughes would tap him out.

Hughes also fights at 170 where Cintron is around 145-7. This fight won't happen because Cintron/Sherk fight wouldn't sell. As big and as dope as I think it would be doesn't matter because from a business standpoint it's not worth it to pay Cintron the kind of money they're willing to pay Mayweather (or even half that) to fight Sherk.