Chess not Checkers..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Lu_

Sicc OG
Jun 14, 2005
3 minute game is more about who has the fastest internetconnection rather then who's the better chess player. It does prevent cheating with a chess computer on the side though...
Not quite. You can still have a quality game with such a limited time. It's pattern recognition, opening repertoire, endgame technique etc that help cut down on wasting time needlessly. Connection can play a role over a phone, but over a computer I haven't had an issue even if the opposing player was lagging hard.

What about the grand master games at the top level?
Yea, the time controls that I aforementioned is what you'll typically see from a GM playing online. Look at Hikaru's games for instance. Bullet god and blitz player. Sometimes I'm in awe watching his 1min games because you'll be hard pressed to find some obvious blunders, not to mention how quickly he puts the opponent in time trouble what seemingly seems just a faster player wins game.

Jun 21, 2016
Yea, the time controls that I aforementioned is what you'll typically see from a GM playing online. Look at Hikaru's games for instance. Bullet god and blitz player. Sometimes I'm in awe watching his 1min games because you'll be hard pressed to find some obvious blunders, not to mention how quickly he puts the opponent in time trouble what seemingly seems just a faster player wins game.
What about the days of Fischer, Alehkine, Kasparov, Karpov etc?

Jun 21, 2006
Not quite. You can still have a quality game with such a limited time. It's pattern recognition, opening repertoire, endgame technique etc that help cut down on wasting time needlessly. Connection can play a role over a phone, but over a computer I haven't had an issue even if the opposing player was lagging hard.
Yea, i can imagine you dont have an issue when your oponent is lagging hard. Well, to each its own i suppose. I used to play 15 minute games online.

Lu_

Sicc OG
Jun 14, 2005
Well I doubt they played 1 min games. That shit is retarded.

What about Svetozar Gligorić, he is one of my favourites.
Back in those days clocks weren't as advanced as they are nowadays, hence they played like 10sec per move indefinitely lol. Most of those games weren't even recorded with good reason as classical time control was the only serious way to play chess.

Yea man, the late Gligoric was a legend in the game, but he was even a better person. I loved this quote of his: "I was born a few decades too early, otherwise I would be a millionaire"

Jun 21, 2016
Back in those days clocks weren't as advanced as they are nowadays, hence they played like 10sec per move indefinitely lol. Most of those games weren't even recorded with good reason as classical time control was the only serious way to play chess.

Yea man, the late Gligoric was a legend in the game, but he was even a better person. I loved this quote of his: "I was born a few decades too early, otherwise I would be a millionaire"
My point is they played normal chess which is 20 mins + not this retarded turbo 1 minute chess of today