Checking in with Yukmouth! (new interview)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 27, 2005
http://blog.swagspot.org/?p=235

JULES: Hey Yuk, thanks for doing this, let’s get into it! Your last album was Million Dollar Mouthpiece. It took a long time for that CD to be released, how come?

YUKMOUTH: I was having problems with the record label. They weren’t paying me for my independent projects, so I wasn’t dropping the next album until they got my paper right.. It doesn’t take me three years to make an album, I make albums in one day. The three years was waiting for the label to pay me!

JULES: Don’t get mad, but I don’t think it did as well as many people expected. (From the point of an A&R). Do you think that was because of the state of the West Coast, the state of music sales in general, or the fault of your label (Rap-A-Lot)?

YUKMOUTH: I say all of the above, but the main reason is because the label didn’t promote the album. They just threw it out there, because they didn’t want me to go out with a bang. That was my last album on Rap-A-Lot. If the album would have blown up, I would have got a big deal after I left their label. It was basically alot of hating on my next moves.. Nobody knew the album was out! No ads, no video, no single! It still came in at #47 on the ‘Billboard Top 200′ the first week it dropped, so I’m good! That’s why I left Rap-A-Lot, because they don’t promote their projects!

JULES: Do you still get cheques from ‘I Got 5 On It’?

YUKMOUTH: Yeah! ‘5 On It’ still paying the bills, for real!

JULES: Lol, that was a big song in your career. Rap-A-Lot just released their ‘Greatest Hits’ compilation, it has every notable artist from the label except you. What’s up with that?

YUKMOUTH: They hating on me because I left the label, and I’m from the West Coast! The whole label was from down South, except me.. The office hated me, the rappers were jealous of me, and the management was mad I wasn’t being managed by them. Add that up, and you
can see why I wasn’t on the compilation!

JULES: What is the status of Smoke-A-Lot Records?

YUKMOUTH: I’m about to ink my distribution deal, but I’m keeping that on the low until the ink dries. Know that wherever I go, I’m flooding the market with crack!

JULES: What does the Smoke-A-Lot dragon stand for? Where did you get the idea for that logo?

YUKMOUTH: The dragon stands for Smoke-A-Lot Records. The dragon is shaped in an “S”. The fire coming out of his mouth is shaped in an “A”. The “S” stands for Smoke and the “A” stands for Alot. I came up with the dragon logo, because as a kid, I was into Bruce Lee movies and Kung Fu. I always wanted a dragon as my logo.

JULES: Can you give us updates on some of the groups you’re in.. Is an official Regime album coming? Did Spice 1 really join the Thug Lordz?

YUKMOUTH: The next thing dropping on Smoke-A-Lot is my new album. After that, the Thug Lordz, then The Regime Presents: United Ghettos of America (U.G.A.) Volume 3 will be dropping soon. Spice isn’t in the group, but he’s down with us!

JULES: I thought you had another solo in the works! Do you have a time-frame where you want to release that?

YUKMOUTH: I’m dropping the new album January or February ‘09. That’s the CD. I will probably drop it to Digital the month before it hits the streets, with bonus tracks. The physical has 18 songs, and the Digital will have 24 songs.

JULES: Have you titled the album yet?

YUKMOUTH: Yup! The album is called ‘The West Coast Don’.

JULES: Who are you collaborating with to create the music for this project?

YUKMOUTH: I got beats from Dame Grease, P-Killer Trackz, Traxamillion.. I got features from Ray-J, T-Pain, Lil Flip, C-Bo, The Regime, Bumpy J, Mistah F.A.B., Turf Talk, Dru Down, and many more! Had to hit you with “many more” because I’m still getting features and working on the album!

JULES: That’s all I have for you, any last words for the readers?

YUKMOUTH: Hit me up at www.SmokeALotRecords.com for the latest on the new album, tracklisting, and drop dates!

Aug 24, 2006
is the smokealot.com address wrong or is the site just down? anyhow, cant wait for the early next year cuz maybe we get a yuks and jacks albums? maybe.. lol

Mar 19, 2006
why would rap alot promote somebody who they know isnt gonna do units,
they would put more money in promoting him than they would make, you think j prince and raplot are foools come on now, moneys money and yuk just isnt up there with the big boys anymore

Jan 31, 2008
^^hes was one the top sellers....with no promo...and their best artist is z-ro and look how they promote him...
Cosign And In The BAY YUKMOUTH & MESSY MARV Have Been Two Of The Most Consistent As Far As Selling Records I Remember Reading Somewhere That Them And A few Others from the BAY Sold 60,000+ everytime they dropped

So YUK is far from hitting rock bottom, Its A damn Shame that R-A-L did YUK Like That but thats why Him, TRAE, & DEVIN Left