CcytzO's " How to make beats wit FL Studio" THREAD!!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 15, 2005
If you look at my patterns now you might notice i added some hits to the snares on 2 and 4......also notice how i placed the 3 bassdrum hits next to each other on pattern 4....if you play the loop exactly the way i made it youll hear the bassdrum "roll" when it gets to these hits on pattern 4....this is the reason i make my beats in double time cuz if you laid hits on the pattern sequencer like this while in normal time it wouldnt achieve the same "rolling" effect.....

Mar 15, 2005
ill start by goin to pattern 5 n the pattern sequencer and adding a VST Instrument......so ill go to the top of the screen and go to CHANNELS (note: whenever you put a sound on the PS it is referred to as a "channel" whether its jus a .wav sampke or a vst instrument)

Mar 15, 2005
youll notice i have a shitload of VST's you more than likely dont have on your system so im a keep it simple and picc one most of you should have on yours the BOO BASS

so ill go to

CHANNELS > ADD ONE > Boo Bass

Mar 15, 2005
ill go into more details later on about the channel settings for plugins and sample and such, but for now were jus gonna lay a bassline to the drum loop.....

REMEMBER TO BE SURE YOU ARE ON PATTERN 5!!!!

There are a few ways you can add a bassline....you could add hits on the pattern sequencer the same way you added hits for the drums but i wouldnt suggest it.....if you right clicc on the BooBass channel youll see it says "Piano Roll" or you can go to the piano roll by hitting the PR button at the top

Mar 15, 2005
i do all my basslines/melodies in the piano roll.....one way is to draw out the notes with your mouse or you can play live from the typing keyboard, or the best way is if you have a midi keyboard attached.....i play and record from the typing or midi keyboard....then i edit wit the mouse afterwards......to make sure your set to play from your typing kb you have to make sure the corrosponding button is activated:

Mar 15, 2005
Now theres two ways you can start recording live.....if the melody/bassline im adding should start at the very beggining wit the 1st downbeat then ill usually arm the "Wait for input to start playing" button .....if i dont need it to start right on time wit the 1st downbeat then ill arm the "Countdown for recording" button for a metronomed countdown before the beat starts playing (note: the metronome wont play during the record only for the countdown unless you have the metronome button armed)

Mar 15, 2005
Your notes wont always play bacc exactly how you played em.....it can all depend on your soundard and how fast your system is plus how much RAM you have ....you also have to adjust your buffer in the AUDIO settings...the lower the buffer the faster response youll get when you hit the keys......(this is also known as latency) regardless youll most likely have to learn how to use the quantize function and some notes youll jus have to move manually wit the mouse to get on the right beat......ill go into these techniques later and keep it basic for now......

Mar 15, 2005
now when i go and look at the PLAYLIST i can see it changed the way pattern 5 appears.....its now stretched for the whole 4 bars becuase it contains info on the paino roll for 4 bars.....i could have played jus one bar and it would have stayed the same.....or 2 bars and it would be half its size.....if the info in the piano roll goes for more than 4 bars then the pattern will also stretch out longer than the 4 and the playlist will play past the drumloop and this will throw it all off so you have to make sure that you dont play for more than the 4 and that no notes strecth beyong the end of the 4th bar......

Mar 15, 2005
YOU COULD NOW ADD MORE CHANNELS OF VST'S OR .WAV FILES OR KEEP MESSING WITH WHAT YOU GOT TO PERFECT IT.....IF YOUR GONNA ADD A NEW MELODY/BASSLINE THEN DO IT ON THE NEXT PATTERN....PATTERN 6

IM A LEAVE YALL WIT THIS FOR NOW.....

STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT PART LATER ON.....IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ON SOMETHIN GO AHEAD AND LEAVE COMMENTS HERE AND ILL GET TO THEM ASAP.....

Apr 26, 2006
Good info man. I notice a lot of people double up the tempo like that. I'm just used to doing my beats the traditional way at normal tempo.

When I make beats with FL Studio, what I personally like to do is make the majority of the beat including the percussion, piano, bassline,etc... all in the same pattern, PAT1. Then after, I use the "Cut & Paste" method and separate each element to their own individual patterns. So usually the percussion elements in the first couple of Patterns and then the rest of the elements are separated. Then re-construct it in the playlist to form a song.

Mar 15, 2005
discuss650 said:
i got the akai mpd24.. how can i use it with FL studio 7?

sorry but ive never used it before....from what i see its a controller that looks similar to an mpc....the pads look like they would be good for makin your drums sound more natural as im guessin they have velocity sensitivity which FL can record along with the notes.....id suggest findin a forum or site that deals wit the mpd24 and maybe youll find some others who use it wit FL Studio.....

Mar 15, 2005
BOOBOO619 said:
Good info man. I notice a lot of people double up the tempo like that. I'm just used to doing my beats the traditional way at normal tempo.

When I make beats with FL Studio, what I personally like to do is make the majority of the beat including the percussion, piano, bassline,etc... all in the same pattern, PAT1. Then after, I use the "Cut & Paste" method and separate each element to their own individual patterns. So usually the percussion elements in the first couple of Patterns and then the rest of the elements are separated. Then re-construct it in the playlist to form a song.
yeah like i said there isnt any one way to do it right....i dont even really do it the way im showin peeps anymore....but its how i use to do it and a lil less complicated to explain then my newest methods.....

Alot of how i organize my beats has to do wit the final product i want....i actually tracc out most of my beats on Cubase now so i really can do it all on one pattern and assign each channel to an fx mixer channel and split the traccs when i export and not even use the playlist at all but i want to show folks how to lay it out in the playlist so they can have a full length beat without it gettin too complicated....

ill try to get the next part up tommorow.....