CcytzO's " How to make beats wit FL Studio" THREAD!!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 15, 2005
I see alot of questions about FL Studio in here at various times and from what i gather there are a lot of cats here who use it or at least try to use it so i decided to start this thread......im a go into some details so yall need to bare wit me while i load up the screenshots and explain some things....ill probably be doin this in parts as well cuz its gonna take a while to get it all nice n organized for you folks......

once im done explaining how i do it then i urge any of you other experianced users to share your techniques cuz there isnt any ONE way to make a beat in FL Studio but i believe my way is a good way especially if you want to tracc out beats for proffesional use......

HOPEFULLY MY THREAD DOESNT GET DELETED CUZ I HAVE HAD THAT PROBLEM IN THIS FORUM BEFORE!!!!
:cheeky:

I run FL Studio 6 but have been usin this method since FL 3.....not much has changed but some improvements have made things a lil easier.....

And on that note the lesson shall begin: :cool:

Mar 15, 2005
Part I: Gettin Started and Setup

1. Setting Up the Beat

one thing i do that may be different from most other FL users is i make the beat in "double time".....meaning i use double the tempo/bpm than normal but i stretch out the bars so that its really half of what the bpm counter says....ie: the bpm says 168 but its really only 84bpm......

to do this i 1st go to:

Options > Project General Settings

Mar 15, 2005
now i change the tempo accordingly ..... ill go wit 168 on this one so its really 84 in realtime(red circle) ..... this is where i also make sure the mode is set to song and not pattern (see yellow circle)

Mar 15, 2005
SAVE THE STARTUP!

at this point i would save the file as Startup or something of that nature so you can always return to this as a template for startin beats in the future and you aint got to set it all up again.....:siccness:

Mar 15, 2005
the easiest thing to start wit is the claps or snare cuz it will help you hear the tempo of the beat without using the metronome (i cant stand the sound of a metronome playin while i try to make a beat)

i start off simple wit 2 snares per bar:

Mar 15, 2005
i repeat this for patterns 3 and 4. this is makin a simple snare pattern that hits on the same time througuot the whole loop.....wit tweaking later on ill probably add a snare hit on pattern 2 or 4 to make it change up but ill keep it like this for now.....

Mar 15, 2005
and when you hit play you should have a clean 4 bar loop that hits the snares on the same time throughout the loop even when the loop starts over.....let it keep loopin around to make sure......if your beat sounds off at all then go bacc and make sure all the patterns have the same hits turned on.....

Mar 15, 2005
BASS/KICK DRUMS

from this point you could add anything you want....sometimes i jus go straight to a melody if i hear it in my head or a bassline....but to keep on point wit this tutorial im a go wit the bass drum next.....

note: i already have my drum sounds chosen but during any time you could swap sounds to your liking......

ill go bacc to PATTERN 1 and add a hit on the 1st bass drum beat pattern: