California Supreme Court Rules Workers Can Be Fired For Medical Pot Use

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 13, 2005
Landmark ruling,i know of quite a few cats in the bay area/east bay that hang on to their high paying jobs by a thread cause of a medical marijuana' excuse.quite a few people use this as a doctors note to get away with smoking weed legaly with lenient employers and supervisors.
This will have a ripple effect thru out the state on some level.
POSTED: 10:29 am PST January 24, 2008
UPDATED: 11:17 am PST January 24, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO -- Ragingwire, a small telecommunications company in Sacramento, has been joined in the Supreme Court by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority and the Western Electrical Contractors Association Inc., who said companies could lose federal contracts and grants if they allowed employees to smoke pot.Employers can fire workers found to have used medical marijuana that was legally prescribed, the California Supreme Court ruled Thursday in another setback for California in its increasingly rancorous clash with federal law over medical pot use.

The high court upheld a Sacramento telecommunications company's firing of a man who flunked a company-ordered drug test. Gary Ross held a medical marijuana card authorizing him to legally use marijuana to treat a back injury sustained while serving in the Air Force. The company, Ragingwire Inc., successfully argued it rightfully fired Ross because all marijuana use is illegal under federal law, which does not recognize the medical marijuana laws in California and 11 other states.

A 2005 U.S. Supreme Court decision declared that state medicinal marijuana laws don't protect users from prosecution. The Drug Enforcement Agency and other federal agencies have been actively shutting down major medical marijuana dispensaries throughout the state over the last two years and charging their operators with serious felony distributions charges. The company said it fired Ross because it feared it could be the target of a federal raid, among other reasons.
The conservative nonprofit Pacific Legal Foundation said in a friend-of-the court filing that employers could also be liable for damage done by high workers. Ross had argued that medical marijuana users should receive the same workplace protection from discipline that employees with valid painkiller prescriptions do. California voters legalized medicinal marijuana in 1996. The nonprofit marijuana advocacy group Americans for Safe Access, which is represented Ross, estimates that 300,000 Americans use medical marijuana.

The Oakland-based group said it has received hundreds of employee discrimination complaints in California since it first began tracking the issue in 2005. The American Medical Association advocates keeping marijuana classified as a tightly controlled and dangerous drug that should not be legalized until more research is done.

Nov 21, 2005
www.revver.com
damm thats fucked up...

what ever happened to freedom?

this country is getting worse than Nazi Germany...

but FUCK EM.. I work from home... so.. I drink beer.. blaze some weed..
and listen to music.. while I work.. and STILL get paid..

smoke weed everyday.. that's my motto

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
^that's a glass half full kind of view.......too bad that glass was drank by the supreme court then the glass was thrown against the wall and the remaining shards of glass were stomped by the security guards and then vaccumed up by the maids

Jun 15, 2004
fuck ,thats some bullshit...hopefully we get a good president that can change all of this..last summer i read that washington dc is started to do research on medical marijuana

Apr 25, 2002
i just heard this shit on an a.m. news station.. i'd never play the medical card anyway.. shit is so iffy right now.. i knew if someone tried to pull this shit they'd lose... but hey.. at least someone tried... right?.. now the rest of us can continue to buy piss cleaner.

Jun 15, 2005
A lot of the fuckers I know that medical marijuana cards got that shit for $150 and ain't shit wrong with them. Naw, lemme change that. ALL the motherfuckers I know with cards are fronting.

Not that I look down on them and want them to get pinched, but...

If you're gonna smoke so much weed that you wanna get a card, so's you can drive around and grow some or whatever, then you should NOT get a job where you get drug tested on the regular.

Seems like simple logic, to me.

Apr 25, 2002
well here's the thing.. i don't think you have to be diein' to smoke weed.. or have somethin' seriously wrong with you.. this shit shouldn't even be illegal.. but it seems like we'll never get past that.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
A lot of the fuckers I know that medical marijuana cards got that shit for $150 and ain't shit wrong with them. Naw, lemme change that. ALL the motherfuckers I know with cards are fronting.

Not that I look down on them and want them to get pinched, but...

If you're gonna smoke so much weed that you wanna get a card, so's you can drive around and grow some or whatever, then you should NOT get a job where you get drug tested on the regular.

Seems like simple logic, to me.
I got my shit so I can beat state cases and have access to numerous dealers (clubs)

I do have insomnia & joint problems, but I was already smoking before the card.....

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
just dont go to work looking like a stoner and you'll be straight, damn near everyone smokes weed on the under especially in california

Jun 15, 2005
I got my shit so I can beat state cases and have access to numerous dealers (clubs)

I do have insomnia & joint problems, but I was already smoking before the card.....
yeah holmes, I hope no one seriously thinks I got a problem with folks getting cards...wanted one myself, but I'm not sure if that information is public or not.

But anyways, my prob is more along the lines of how people think.

You gone get a card? Don't get a job where you get piss tested! It's simple.

I'm sure you don't have one of those jobs...am I right?