C. Ronaldo vs Leo Messi

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 17, 2005
i would say Dirk Kuyt would have to be up there too but i dont know if he really deserves it i just think he is a great player.

oh and FUCK DROGBA he is the biggest pussy ever

Apr 25, 2002
DROGBA

absolutely not. the guy has missed so many SITTERS this season it makes me cringe. he is good but only because he can physically dominate, if he didn't have that going for him, he would be a nobody. and he'll be enjoying a lengthy ban in european competiton for his behavior after the match on wednesday. Plus, he only played half the season.

KUYT

no way. the guy is too inconsistent and besides, there is TWO players on Liverpool who would be a better candidate for best active player (Gerrard and Torres)

Torres deserves more credit for how well he played in Euro 2008. Marco Di Vaio of Bologna has scored 21 goals in Serie A (something like 58% of his teams goals. Arshavin scored 7 for Zenit St. Petersburg and 6 for Arsenal so far, including 4 @ Liverpool, which IMO has been the best single performance of the season, in any league. Alessandro Del Piero had an amazing first half of the season (namely his performance against Real Madrid in Madrid for CL, he got a standing ovation @ the Bernabeu, one of the coolest things I've ever seen since following Juventus) but has fallen off since the new year. Ronaldo, no matter how much I don't like him, has scored 25 goals this season, which is a lot no matter how you look at it. I honestly think Man U would be fine without him (and Fergie should sell him before/if his stock ever lowers) but there is no doubt he a huge part of a team which is going to win EPL. Frank Lampard has done huge things for a Chelsea team that had a fairly successful season. Messi is the whole reason Barca will win La Liga this season.

Its a hard decision.

Sep 4, 2002
He's one of the better and more complete strikers in the world, but I wouldn't put him in the same list with guys who create the opportunities for goals instead of just finishing them. He's a savage though...

Yeah, massive goals and insane free kicks when he doesn't have to worry about playing defense, he's got Rooney and Tevez running all over the fucking plays recovering balls that HE should be, and all he worries about is when he has the ball.

Sorry pal, he's not a complete player and cannot carry a team. On Man U, he stands out. Watch a game when he plays for Portugal and see if he "dominates"...
is Portugal even gonna qualify for world cup?, last I herd they were on the outside looking in of their group

Apr 25, 2002
nominating steven ireland for player of the year is like nominating stephen jackson for MVP of the NBA. he's a good player in the little niche that he works in, but City is a horrible club and all the money in the world couldn't save them right now. you can't buy a team and hope they play well together, 8/10 times they won't

as for Portugal, here is their group standings:

Denmark 13 5 4 1 0 12 2
Hungary 13 6 4 1 1 8 2
Portugal 6 5 1 3 1 6 3
Sweden 6 4 1 3 0 2 1
Albania 6 7 1 3 3 3 6
Malta 1 7 0 1 6 0 17

lmao, they are tied with Sweden. I don't really follow WC qualifiers, I didn't realize they were doing so bad. How do these groups work? Do the top 2 qualify?

Sep 4, 2002
nominating steven ireland for player of the year is like nominating stephen jackson for MVP of the NBA. he's a good player in the little niche that he works in, but City is a horrible club and all the money in the world couldn't save them right now. you can't buy a team and hope they play well together, 8/10 times they won't

as for Portugal, here is their group standings:

Denmark 13 5 4 1 0 12 2
Hungary 13 6 4 1 1 8 2
Portugal 6 5 1 3 1 6 3
Sweden 6 4 1 3 0 2 1
Albania 6 7 1 3 3 3 6
Malta 1 7 0 1 6 0 17

lmao, they are tied with Sweden. I don't really follow WC qualifiers, I didn't realize they were doing so bad. How do these groups work? Do the top 2 qualify?
well I don't know if its different in Uefa quailifying works, but in concacaf the top 3 teams adavance then the 4th place team plays a playoff game against the 5th placed team from CONMEBEL(south america) for a birth into WC

Sep 4, 2002
ok I looked it up and heres what I got

Eight groups of six teams and one group of five will contest the European qualifying competition for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. The nine group-winners will qualify directly, while the eight best second-placed teams will contest home and away play-off matches for the remaining four places. In determining the best eight second-placed teams, the results against teams finishing last in the six-team groups will not be counted for consistency between the five- and six-team groups.[3]

Feb 17, 2005
Yeah i know Kuyt does not put up the same kind of stats as Torres or even Gerrard, but he is a hard worker and does a lot to set up other people on Liverpool. And he is always scoring in clutch situations. Like when Liverpool ended up getting eliminated by Chelsea in the 5-4 game or whatever the final score was he scored with a header right at the end to give Liverpool a chance. Of course Torres and Gerrard are probably more valuable but Kuyt is still a savage and he is going to improve whatever team he is on.

Apr 25, 2002
@grapes:

you might be eating those words on May 27th lol

stephen ireland in the same sentence as messi and ronaldo you are really showing your true colors in this thread hahhaha

Jan 9, 2009
nah i was jus givin ireland props..
no player from man city will ever been considered for player of the year..
thats impossible.

argentina = the biggest underachievers in football

trust me..Batistuta was my guy. i love argentina. my favorite international kit..
but they fail. a lot.