build a computer

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Silas

Sicc OG
May 4, 2005
i have been messing around recording with my laptop for the past year, but i need to step my game up and get a new machine...

help me build a computer strictly for music....

i need to be able to run a pile of vst's
i record through an external soundcard...
i dont need to run any video games or shit like that.

how much am i looking at spending to get a rock solid music making machine?

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
i build computers for jug. get at me on pm

u need at least 2 GB Ram, large HD, and also an External HD would be reccomended or just another internal, Dual core Processor at least, and all the other basic shit that comes with a computer mainly you just need ram, speed, and space.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
a step by step thread would be sweet though, i've thought of building my own but was always scared id miss out on some key element and it wouldnt work. nowadays you can buy a beast of a computer for 700-1000 bucks though

May 4, 2005
these are the pieces im most unsure about

motherboard = $52 :Biostar P4M900MICRO775 mATX LGA775 DDR2 VIA P4M900 1PCI-E16 2PCI SATA Video Sound LAN Motherboard

heatsink = $26 :Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PWM AM2 S754 S939 S940 900-2200RPM 40CFM 4PIN Heatsink Fan

power supply = $51 : Cool Power 500W ATX Power Supply W/140MM LED Blue FAN, Temp CONTROL, Black Mirror Coating

am i going to get any bottlenecks with these pieces?... are those fans going to be quite enough for recording?

Feb 2, 2006
these are the pieces im most unsure about

motherboard = $52 :Biostar P4M900MICRO775 mATX LGA775 DDR2 VIA P4M900 1PCI-E16 2PCI SATA Video Sound LAN Motherboard

heatsink = $26 :Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PWM AM2 S754 S939 S940 900-2200RPM 40CFM 4PIN Heatsink Fan

power supply = $51 : Cool Power 500W ATX Power Supply W/140MM LED Blue FAN, Temp CONTROL, Black Mirror Coating

am i going to get any bottlenecks with these pieces?... are those fans going to be quite enough for recording?
look at some ads for "fry's Electronics" thats where I go usually they got a jug on a processor/motherboard combination so you don't have to worry about it. the only thing is the motherboard they bundle is usually a 50 dollar motherboard like the one u buying. I'm using one right now though and my pro tools runs coo and i be on the internet. make sure u got that dual core intel processor or that quad processor. make sure your board aint for amd and u by intel processor. on the day after christmas i made about 300 off shit over there.

Jul 12, 2002
Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I actually just built one last week. Here's what all I got:

Barebone Kit:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3645858&CatId=2405

Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

Then I'm just salvaging the rest of the parts from my old computer like the keyboard, mouse, dvd-r drives, wireless card, etc. Oh ya I also copped a 160 gig HD for the OS and a 640 gig for everything else.
That's clean! ^ Props.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
i got all my shit from here for my studio computer

zipzoomfly.com

^^^motherboard, soundcards, everything they got for a good price

Apr 26, 2006
I actually just built one last week. Here's what all I got:

Barebone Kit:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3645858&CatId=2405

Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

Then I'm just salvaging the rest of the parts from my old computer like the keyboard, mouse, dvd-r drives, wireless card, etc. Oh ya I also copped a 160 gig HD for the OS and a 640 gig for everything else.

That shit looks pretty nice. For $499, ain't bad at all.

I'm thinking about building one as well. I was going to get a laptop, but I think I now would rather build a solid desktop.

Can you run Windows XP Pro on that comp? I ain't ready and really don't want to make the switch to Vista yet. Vista sucks for audio, from what I hear.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
That shit looks pretty nice. For $499, ain't bad at all.

I'm thinking about building one as well. I was going to get a laptop, but I think I now would rather build a solid desktop.

Can you run Windows XP Pro on that comp? I ain't ready and really don't want to make the switch to Vista yet. Vista sucks for audio, from what I hear.
Of course. You can pretty much run anything you want. Vista is a bitch! Stay far far away from it.

Apr 26, 2006
Which version of XP Pro do you guys recommend, 32bit or 64bit? I would think the 32bit version would be the most stable and have the most compatibility.

Is XP Pro even neccessary? Ain't XP Home the same ish, without all the networking features? Or is there something within the code of the OS that makes it faster and smoother than the Home edition?

Feb 2, 2006
Fuck building a computer, get a computer that comes with a warranty. The pc that I build a couple of years back, blew up within a month. I spent more than a 1500 on it, I regreted it so much. but you might get lucky tho

Heres the one I have,
http://www.magicmicro.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1957

I run a lot of stuff on it with no problems
yeah but the thing about building your own shit you buy all the parts so you know what your getting. when you buy a pre-made computer they trying to make the most money off of it so they give you the shitty brands to save money (dell, gateway - try to ask them about the parts they use)- i see on that site u can choose what you want but u can find each part much cheaper than they sellin it for.

and theres a lot of shit that can go wrong with building your own true - u gotta take precautionary measures like going into the "bios" and setting something that says if the processor gets too hot the system will automatically shut down so your computer dont blow - test it out and make sure its all working theres a lot of shit in the bios you need to enable/disable.

what probobly happened is you fucked up installing something and didnt think about something like this and your shit overheated. you gotta be real careful when u assemble shit like making sure theres no static electricity on you cuz you can fry any electronic part just by touching it. when u put the processor in theres hella pins if u bend even 1 pin then the whole thing goes to shit. i got people to show me how to do it but if i didn't i could see myself frying some shit too.

Feb 2, 2006
^about a day or two gotta test it out and make sure everything is working and stable. and the price all depends on what your looking for

a playa price tho. if i really did it for a living i would advertise i think i will when i get some money to invest