Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Ronnie Shields: “Once Erislandy Lara clears out 154 he’s going to have to go up to 160 to challenge the big boys”

Exclusive Interview by Geoffrey Ciani - I was recently afforded the opportunity to have a nice discussion with world class trainer Ronnie Shields, whose fighter Erislandy Lara scored an impressive victory last weekend against Freddy Hernandez. Shields spoke about Lara’s performance, and also shared his views on a potential eliminator bout between Lara and Vanes Martirosyan. Additionally he provided his opinion on the prospects of having an eight man tournament in the 154 pound weight class, and how he believes Lara would fare against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior. He also spoke about the upcoming heavyweight championship bout between Wladimir Klitschko and Tony Thompson, as well as the upcoming unification match between Nonito Donaire and Jeffrey Mathebula this Saturday. Here is what Ronnie Shields had to say:

GEOFFREY CIANI: Hello everyone. This is Geoffrey Ciani from East Side Boxing and I am joined by world class trainer Ronnie Shields. How’s everything going today, Ronnie?

RONNIE SHIELDS: Everything is doing great man! I had a great gym in today, so everything is looking up.

CIANI: Good! Good to hear. Now Ronnie, your fighter Erislandy Lara just beat Freddy Hernandez this past weekend. I’m wondering if you could tell the fans out there how you would evaluate his performance?

SHIELDS: Oh man! I give him a 10 because he did everything that I asked him to do. The thing that people really don’t understand is that we only had like three and a half weeks to train for this fight, because that’s when the fight was made. It was about three and a half weeks before the fight, so it didn’t give us a whole lot of time. But you know Freddy Hernandez came. He’s a good strong challenger and he put up a great fight, but Lara was just too much for him.

***CLICK PLAYER TO LISTEN TO RONNIE SHIELDS
(running time – 19:53)

CIANI: Now even though Lara won wide on my scorecard, it did appear that Hernandez made it so that it wasn’t easy the whole way through, and it was kind of a fight where Lara was actually deducted a point at one point in the seventh round for a headbutt. There was a lot of rough house tactics involved at points during the fight. What did you think of the nature of the fight with Freddy Hernandez?

SHIELDS: Well you know afterwards when I looked back at the fight, I heard Freddy Hernandez’s corner telling him to step on his foot, hit him on the back of the head, and all of that dirty stuff. I mean you know boxing doesn’t need that. I think the Commission should look at the tape and listen to what the corner is telling him to do all these dirty tactics, and possibly suspend his corner because boxing doesn’t need that. You know the guy was hitting him below the belt, he kept hitting Lara behind the head, he was hitting Lara with elbows, and he was doing all kinds of stuff to Lara. And you know it pissed him off at one point, but still, I just told him in the corner to keep boxing, to keep his head, and he was winning the fight easily to me. I just have to go by what I see. I just told him not to lose his head and to keep boxing the guy, and don’t worry about what the guy is doing. Don’t let the guy pull him into something that’s not warranted. So he did. He listened. He boxed really good and look, in the ninth and tenth round I mean he really he beat Hernandez up. He took the fight to him. He just let him know, “Look! I’m not a chump. I’m a guy that to beat me, you have to come in and you have to take it from me”. Lara just completely outclassed Freddy Hernandez.

CIANI: I myself was very impressed with Lara, and I thought his lead right hook was a true work of art the way he was delivering that. A lot of fans agree with me and they seem to have been very impressed with him. But then there are a lot of fans out there saying they don’t understand what the big deal is and they weren’t overly impressed. My question for you is, why do you think fans are so split on his performance in terms of how good it was?

SHIELDS: Well I mean I really don’t know why, but the thing about it is they got to ask themselves why don’t the big guys want to fight him? Why don’t the champions and everybody when it’s time to fight this kid, nobody wants to fight him? You know that’s the question that they have to ask. It’s not Erislandy Lara who’s holding back. It’s the fighters holding back from trying to fight him. The thing about it as far as the right hook is concerned, you know that’s something we’ve been working on the last month. I’ve been working on him leading off with the right hook, because you really haven’t seen that in his repertoire if you look at all of his fights. You know we were just trying to show Freddy Hernandez something different. Look! Lara is a world class fighter, and he’s the kind of guy he gets up for whoever is going to be in front of him. So the reason they probably aren’t impressed is because they haven’t really seen him fight the big names, besides Paul Williams. But you saw what he did to Paul Williams! That tells a whole lot right there. That’s why a lot of the guys that are champions don’t want to fight him, because they know it’s a difficult fight for them. He just showed you a flash of what he can do on last Saturday night. That was just a flash of what he could do against a top ten guy. But the reason these other guys don’t want to fight him is because they know he’s going to have time to prepare for all of the good guys, like Canelo Alvarez, or K-9 Bundrage, or James Kirkland. You know anybody who they put in front of him, it doesn’t make a difference. You know we are willing and able to fight anybody in the world! It doesn’t make a difference.

CIANI: Now Ronnie, some observers being critical of Lara are noting the fact that welterweight Andre Berto was able to stop Hernandez in one round. I’m just curious, what would you have to say to the fans out there who are making a big deal of that point?

SHIELDS: Well you know here’s the thing. Styles make fights, and the thing about was that people don’t realize that Freddy Hernandez, that was his last fight at welterweight also because he couldn’t make the weight. He drained himself trying to make 147 pounds. He was a weak guy going in against a natural 147 pounder in Berto. Berto caught him with a good shot and knocked him out. I mean it’s simply said. Anybody can get caught. Anybody can get knocked out. So if they’re looking at that still, why don’t the big guys come in and say, “You know this guy’s not a big puncher. Let’s fight him!” Still everybody is turning us down. So I think that speaks for itself. I mean if you look at the fight, he beat the crap out of Freddy Hernandez! I mean look! He beat him worse than Berto could ever think about beating him. Berto hit him with one good shot and knocked him out. That can happen to anybody at any given moment in this sport. It happens.

CIANI: Now the WBC just recently ordered a final eliminator bout between Lara and Vanes Martirosyan. I’m curious what your thoughts are on Vanes as a fighter, and what do you think about this matchup as an eliminator for Canelo Alvarez?

SHIELDS: Well I think Vanes is a really good fighter. You know I trained Vanes for a little over a year a few years ago. He’s a really good boxer, but the WBC ordered this fight about six months ago—well, it might not have been that long ago. Maybe it was about four months ago the WBC ordered this fight, and Vanes turned it down. He said unless he got a signed contract saying Canelo Alvarez will definitely fight the winner then he wasn’t going to fight Lara. Now I read today where he said that now he wants to fight Lara. If everybody is looking at that fight that he fought last week, and he did that on three and a half weeks notice, he’s going to have a lot of time to prepare for whoever is next. If it’s Vanes, hey! Let’s do it! We’ve been wanting to do this fight for a very long time now. So now if he’s saying he wants the fight, hey let’s do it! I mean all you got to do is sign your name on the line. That’s it. Sign your name on the dotted line and the fight will be done, but he’s going to find out why Erislandy Lara is the most avoided fighter in boxing right now.

CIANI: Let’s talk about Canelo Alvarez a little bit. His last fight was May 5 against Sugar Shane Mosley. What did you think of his performance that night?

SHIELDS: Well I didn’t think it was his best performance, but I think people still don’t realize that Shane Mosley was a very good fighter. He was a smart fighter. There was a lot of times when he was pulling away from shots, and I don’t think Canelo has ever seen a guy do that before—he was standing right in front of him and just pulling away from shots, but Shane just couldn’t pull the trigger on him. But I was impressed because despite all of the flaws that he has, he fought a good fight and I think he hurt Shane a couple of times but he just couldn’t finish him. You got to understand they offered Lara the fight against him also. Everybody is saying Canelo Alvarez wouldn’t want to fight Erislandy Lara, and I beg to differ. I think the fighter really wants to fight the best guys out there, whether it’s Lara, whether it’s Vanes, whether it’s Kirkland, whether it’s Angulo—I think Canelo really wants the fight, but I think it’s the management and I think it’s also his promoter. I think they just want to try to hold off and let this kid make as much money as he can, hoping that by the time he does fight one of those good guys out there, that he has enough confidence and enough skills to be able to compete with those guys. So I really don’t think it’s Canelo Alvarez. You know he’s a fighter man, and I had him go up against Kermit Cintron and he really impressed me a lot. I’m really impressed by him, but just like my guy Erislandy Lara feels that he’s the best guy. It’s a wait and see thing, but I am—I’m really, really impressed with Canelo Alvarez.

CIANI: Now in terms of his development and in terms of him improving as a young champion, are you seeing a lot of improvement in him yourself?

SHIELDS: Oh yes I am! I’m seeing a lot of improvement in Canelo. You know look, he is a strong kid, and he is a lot quicker and faster than people give him credit for. When I studied him for the Cintron fight, I really didn’t think he was that fast. On tape he looks real slow. He doesn’t look like he has much power. But when you see this kid live and in color, trust me, this kid can punch and he’s really fast! It really surprised me. You know look, this kid has forty-something fights already because he turned professional at a very young age. But he’s still in the learning process. He’s a champion who’s still learning how to keep the championship. And I understand that you can’t put him in there with all the best fighters right now. Really and truly I understand that, but at the same time, if he wasn’t ready to fight the best fighters in the world then he had no business fighting for the world title.

CIANI: Oscar De La Hoya recently mentioned that he would be in favor of an eight man tournament involving some of the bigger names at the 154 pound weight class. I’m curious, would you be in favor of such a tournament and would you be in favor of Lara being a participant in some type of tournament like this?

SHIELDS: Well you know I’ve thought about this. I really have thought about this, and I think it would be great for boxing only if the champions are involved. If the champions are not involved it doesn’t make sense to have a tournament when, what would you get out of the tournament? You know if you can do like the Super Six did, all of the champions got involved in it. So you have to involve the champions in order for a tournament to make sense, because when you come out of that tournament that means you have one champion, an undisputed champion like boxing is supposed to have—only one champion in the division. If you can get all of the champions involved in the division to fight in the tournament along with the contenders that would be involved in it, then I think you would come out with one champion. I think it would be great for boxing, because when people look at the 154 pound division, they say, “You know what? That’s the only division in boxing that has one champion”. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense.

CIANI: Just to get your perspective on where Lara is right now, if he was to get an unlikely opportunity against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior, what would you think of his chances?

SHIELDS: Oh man! I would think his chances are like 70-30, with 70 being for him and 30 being for Floyd just for the simple reason that look. Floyd is a great fighter, but Floyd is a great fighter fighting guys like a Miguel Cotto, who’s past his prime, and like a too small guy like Marquez who he beat. Now look, Floyd is a good fighter but this is a different competition with Erislandy Lara. We’re talking about a bigger guy who’s just a natural 154 pounder. There is no way in the world in my heart I know that Floyd can beat a guy like Erislandy Lara, just for the simple reason that Lara is so much smarter than everybody Floyd has ever fought in his career. When you have that, and plus he’s a bigger guy and a stronger guy, I don’t see how Floyd would be able to keep him off of him.

CIANI: Sticking with Floyd for a minute, you mentioned his last fight against Miguel Cotto. What did you think of that fight Ronnie, and were there any surprises for you in the way that fight played out?

SHIELDS: There weren’t any surprises for me. I thought Floyd did the right thing by fighting Miguel Cotto at 154 pounds. That’s to prove that he is one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. He did that, but I still thought Miguel was a little bit slow, you know too slow for Floyd. He put up a good fight. I think at the beginning Floyd just fought the wrong fight in the beginning by trying to lean on the ropes and not taking it to Miguel. But I think at the end with Miguel, you know he got so tired by the eighth round that Floyd just had his way with him. But I really have a lot of respect for Miguel Cotto because he fought all of the best guys in the world, and I respect a fighter like that.

CIANI: Changing things up here a little bit Ronnie, there are two upcoming fights this weekend I would like to get your opinion on. One of those fights is a heavyweight championship fight. It’s a rematch between Wladimir Klitschko and Tony Thompson, and I was wondering if you could give the fans out there your trainer’s perspective on that matchup?

SHIELDS: Well you know I think it’s a great fight. I mean I really do. I think Tony Thompson is one of the only guys at heavyweight who has a chance to beat either one of the Klitschkos. I saw the first fight. I don’t know what happened with Tony, but he just kind of faded out. But I think now he really knows what to expect, because it is a world title fight. I think the first time, you know he had been sparring with Klitschko before, so maybe he thought he got the best of him in sparring, but that is completely different when you put the smaller gloves on, no head gear, and you have a huge crowd. I think now Tony knows what’s in front of him, and I think it’s easier for Tony to prepare for Klitschko than Klitschko for him. So I’m going to go with the mild upset on this one, and I’m going to say Tony Thompson wins a very close decision.

CIANI: Now another big fight coming up this weekend, it’s a unification bout in the super bantamweight division between Nonito Donaire and Jeffrey Mathebula. I am wondering if you could give the fans out there your take on that one?

SHIELDS: Well I like Donaire in this one, just for the simple reason that this can punch with both hands. I mean he is a very smart fighter. I don’t think he’s the best fighter in that division, because I think Guillermo Rigondeaux is the best fighter in that division, but look, both of these guys are champions and it’s going to be a tough fight. But I think in the later rounds Donaire’s power is going to be a little bit too much, and I pick him by late TKO.

CIANI: Going back to Erislandy Lara, he’s 29 years old now. In your opinion Ronnie, what can fans expect from him over the course of the next three years?

SHIELDS: Well I think first of all, if Vanes is man enough to step up and sign the contract I think you’re going to see him put a real boxing lesson on Vanes Martirosyan, and that’s going to really scare the champions off, but sooner or later they’re going to have to step up and fight him. I think within the next two years you’re going to see this kid as middleweight champion of the world.

CIANI: So you think that he will develop and grow into a full-fledged middleweight within the next two years?

SHIELDS: Without a doubt! He has no problems at 154 pounds. He’s a natural 154 pounder right now, but I think after he cleans out the division at 154 there will be nothing left for him at 154, so he would have to go up to 160 to get the big fights. You got to understand something about this kid. This kid wants to challenge everybody. He’s not afraid to fight anybody. So sooner or later, once Erislandy Lara clears out 154 he’s going to have to go up to 160 to challenge the big boys.

CIANI: Ronnie, I have one final question for you. Is there anything else you would like to say to all of the boxing fans out there and all of the readers of East Side Boxing?

SHIELDS: Absolutely! I just want to say keep an eye out on Erislandy Lara because one day he’s going to clean out the 154 pound division, and once he goes up to middleweight I have another kid named Jermell “Iron Man” Charlo. This kid is going to come up and take over for Erislandy Lara once he goes up to middleweight. So be looking out for Jermell “Iron Man” Charlo.

CIANI: Ronnie, it was an absolute pleasure getting the opportunity to speak to you once again. I thank you for your time, and I wish you the best of luck going forward.

SHIELDS: Thank you very much, and you have a great day.

Jul 24, 2005
Khan: Garcia and his dad’s trash talking has motivated me to train harder
July 5th, 2012

By William Mackay: Amir Khan (26-2, 18 KO’s) says he’s picked up motivation to train harder after listening to the trash talking by WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (23-0, 14 KO’s) and his father Angel Garcia at the press conferences ahead of their July 14th fight in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Khan told the Dailystar.co.uk “He’s trying to get under my skin. He can say what he wants…Even his dad is doing it. It just motivated me to train harder…I think they know I’m the better fighter. They can’t beat me any other way.”

I think Khan needs to step back and realize that he just lost his last fight, so I think Garcia might possibly beat him. There’s nothing wrong with that. Even Khan’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya says that he sees the Khan-Garcia fight as a 50-50 fight that can go either way. By Khan saying that Garcia and his dad are only trash talking him because they feel they can’t win in the ring, I think Khan is misreading what they’re doing.

Some of it is promoting the fight, but most of it I feel is just Angel and Danny Garcia giving their honest opinion of what they think of Khan. Someone sticks a microphone in front of their face and ask them what they think of Khan, and this is what comes out. I’m sure if they asked them what they thought of world politics, you’d get a similar honest opinion.

All they’ve been saying all along is that they feel Khan is overrated and that he runs and slaps too much. I don’t see that as trash talking, but rather describing what they think of Khan’s fighting style. It’s like someone putting a blue picture in front of them asking them what color is the picture. They’re going to give an answer and unfortunately Khan doesn’t care for the answer that they’re giving about him. But if he really needs this to get extra motivation to train for the fight then that’s kind of sad, because he should have all the motivation he needs to win. After all, he just lost to Peterson and can’t afford another loss if he wants to stay relevant.

Jul 24, 2005
To my knowledge, Chavez [Jr.] never took any drug test” – Emanuel Steward

Over the weekend I made the trek from Las Vegas to the Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, California to cover the ShoBox: The New Generation tripleheader, headlined by IBF junior middleweight champion Cornelius Bundrage’s rematch with Cory Spinks as well as showcases from unbeaten featherweight Gary Russell Jr. and stylish Cuban southpaw Erislandy Lara.

All three contests were interesting in their own right, as Bundrage chopped down a reluctant Spinks in the seventh round while Lara outclassed a determined Freddy Hernandez and Russell Jr. plowed through overmatched Christopher Perez in three heats.

Having personally been fine-tuning Bundrage’s skills over the past few years, trainer Emanuel Steward would tell me after his fighter’s victory that he is only eyeing big fights and expressed interest in a meeting with WBC champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez.

And while it’s nice to know that Steward and Bundrage could be on the verge of some meaningful fights in the division, I actually am still taken back to a conversation I had with the respected Kronk trainer one day prior.

It was at the Spinks-Bundrage II weigh-in when Steward and I spoke about a variety of topics in the sport, one of them being the recent wave of performance-enhancing drugs in boxing, as the past few months have seen former champions Lamont Peterson, Andre Berto, and Antonio Tarver all fail some form of a pre-fight drug test.

Asked for his take on the situation, Steward quickly directed his suspicions towards WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., who defeated his fighter Andy Lee via 7th round TKO on June 16th in El Paso, Texas.

“I am very, very surprised and I am very concerned,” Steward admitted. “In my experience I just recently had with Andy Lee; to my knowledge Julio Cesar Chavez [Jr.] never really took any drug test. They me tell me he was going to take a test after the fight and at the last minute they had my nephew come in, ‘Oh, he’s going to take it now’ and here, he comes in the room with two other guys and they said he took the test so he doesn’t have to take nothing now.”

The Chavez-Lee fight was a lively affair full of plenty of toe to toe action. And while the contest was pretty even over the first half of the fight, Chavez would break through with a punishing seventh round, battering Lee along the ropes and forcing referee Laurence Cole to call a halt to the action.

Speaking to Steward following his defeat, Lee seemed dumbfounded at how physically strong Chavez was.

“As Andy said, ‘I’ve boxed with Wladimir Klitschko many times; for this fight I boxed with guys 180 pounds. His strength was going like he was almost a 500-pound man’. Based on that and some of the other things I am beginning to see, I realize that there may be something going on that I don’t know of,” Steward said.

Chavez Jr. trains under the tutelage of four-time trainer of the year Freddie Roach, known best for his work with eight-division champion Manny Pacquiao. While not implying anything directly, Steward seemed to direct his attention towards that particular camp as he continued to vent.

“I’m looking at this, and he’s having leg cramps and Manny Pacquiao having leg cramps; there’s too many strange things going on,” Steward explained. “I really do believe now that’s become a very serious issue in our sport that has to be seriously dealt with, because having advantages of hometowns and small rings, even partial officials, that’s one thing. But to have where a person’s human strength and endurance is doubling and tripling that of an opponent, that could be one of the most difficult and problematic problems in our sport in the next year or so.”

It should be noted that various outlets have reported that Top Rank and the Texas commission have both claimed Chavez did indeed test prior to the fight and his results came back negative.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
You still hurt that Manny lose?? lol the only cornball in the thread still whinning about losing. The score is still the same it was a day after the fight a DRAW. Cry me a river bitchboy and move on.
Pigface, you're the one still crying about it. I'm mentioning it to remind you that you were exposed.

It's so funny to see this lame talking so gangster over the internet. Heresy you are a dumb ass no one cares about your whinning ass. You have proven over and over again that you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. Stick to hyping up Manny that's the only thing your good at in the boxing thread. Now shut you homeless ass up..
Figface, I'd say this shit to you in person. You are the one thar has proven time and time again that you don't know what you're talking about. When people disagree with you, you call them gay and come with the crazy homo shit your dad is known for. You're trying to target me because you were exposed. Just relax man, we all know you're shitface, the guy who calls the fights down the middle, is a boxing historian, is far from a casual fan, etc.

And who is hyping up Manny? Where have you ever seen me hyping up Manny?

And the housing people just put me up in a nice condo and the home will be repaired in 3 more weeks. But my access is cool now, so I get to torture you some more you little shitdick.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
[
I get along with everyone in this forum. Sometimes I just don't agree with the majority opinion. Feel free to cuss me out all you want, it's not going to bother me or change my opinion, bro!

Mike Tyson is a good example, even though a lot of boxing fans seem to think that Tyson's skills had declined some. I hear they eat better in prison as compared to county jail.
Is Floyd getting the daily amount of calories? Yes. Is Floyd doing YEARS in PRISON? No, he is doing like 60 DAYS. If he is the ATHELETE like you say he is he will be able to recover from this.

Feb 3, 2006
Pigface, you're the one still crying about it. I'm mentioning it to remind you that you were exposed.

Figface, I'd say this shit to you in person. You are the one thar has proven time and time again that you don't know what you're talking about. When people disagree with you, you call them gay and come with the crazy homo shit your dad is known for. You're trying to target me because you were exposed. Just relax man, we all know you're shitface, the guy who calls the fights down the middle, is a boxing historian, is far from a casual fan, etc.

And who is hyping up Manny? Where have you ever seen me hyping up Manny?

And the housing people just put me up in a nice condo and the home will be repaired in 3 more weeks. But my access is cool now, so I get to torture you some more you little shitdick.
Shut your homeless ass up cornball and post about boxing not your boring ass life.

Steward Expects Bradley To Return as a Better Fighter

By Chris Robinson

On June 9th, 2012, trainer Emanuel Steward had a ringside view of the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley duel. Moonlighting as a color commentator for HBO, Steward saw a fight that he felt was largely controlled by Pacquiao and he seemed taken aback when two of the three 115-113 scorecards were read in Bradley’s favor, granting him the upset victory and the WBO welterweight title in the process.

There was much uproar immediately following the decision, with cries of ‘robbery’ coming from various boxing insiders who couldn’t fathom how two of the officials sided with Bradley. A few weeks removed from the bout, Steward was able to watch the fight again on replay and admits he saw a slightly different bout.

“I still felt that, in my mind, that Pacquiao won the fight,” Steward told me as we spoke at the Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, CA over the weekend. “But I’ve seen worse decisions. I felt the first couple of rounds probably would have been to Bradley; the fact that Manny was much stronger, much more dominant looking, but he only fought for thirty seconds of the last rounds.”

Steward feels that while Pacquiao painted the picture of a fighter in complete control, that Bradley actually had his share of moments in the twelve-round affair.

“The last few rounds could have gone either way, even when Manny had his explosions, Bradley met him punch for punch,” said Steward. “And even when Bradley was spinning, and ducking, and moving around, and maybe not looking as physically as strong, I still thought that he was able to hold up enough. I still thought that Pacquiao won it, but looking back through it again, I could see where it was possibly a closer fight.”
Bradley suffered a fractured left foot as well as a twisted right ankle in the fight and Steward feels that we will be seeing a better version of the Palm Springs, California native the next time he sets foot into a prize ring.

“I think Timothy Bradley is definitely going to be a better fighter,” said Steward.” The fact that he’s been fighting so infrequent, that was, what I would say, was an introduction to the elite level to the fighter who was considered by many to be the best in the world. And to go twelve good, completive rounds with him, I think he’ll grow from that. And hopefully, as soon as he heals up he’ll get back in action soon as possible.”

And if there was anything that Steward might tweak on Bradley, it would be the lack of brute force that he has on his blows.

“I think he needs to improve on his punching power a little bit too,” Steward said of Bradley, who has 12 stoppages in 29 victories. “He needs to focus on this area; not changing but having a little more pop in his punch.”

When asked about the future of undefeated superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr., who is currently serving a 90-day jail sentence in relation to a September 2010 domestic violence case, Steward sees no reason that the 35-year old can’t get back to his dominant ways after his release.

“I don’t think being in jail is going to affect him,” Steward claimed. “For the most part, the last five fights, he hasn’t been that active. This would be his normal time when he isn't fighting anyway. But Floyd will come back and be fine. And right now he’s, in terms of credibility, maybe at his highest point right now.”

Mayweather is coming off of an entertaining scrap with Miguel Cotto on May 5th in a fight that saw him have to dig down and use every one of the tricks in his bag in fending off the spirited challenge of his brazen Puerto Rican foe. The pay-per-view extravaganza generated an estimated 1.5 million buys and for the most part it played out how Steward envisioned it.

“The fight with Miguel Cotto went pretty much how I expected,” said Steward, who trained Cotto for a two-fight stint. “Miguel is back to his old style, fighting with his head too low and not utilizing his boxing ability nor his height. He was fighting as though he was 5’7 and Floyd utilized his skills, defense, and actually, if Floyd would have stepped it up a bit he could have stopped him in the last round. Floyd came through, I was very impressed.”

Heresy read the bold Steward re-watched the fight and changed his mind from a Manny blowout to a close fight. Did you expose Steward to?? LOL. You are just lame..

Feb 3, 2006
Was that a week ago dumb ass?? You're begging for my approval but I don't co-sign lames like you. When are you going to post about boxing and not your E-feelings that I hurt..

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Was that a week ago dumb ass?? You're begging for my approval but I don't co-sign lames like you. When are you going to post about boxing and not your E-feelings that I hurt..
The fact that you would even ask is telling, shitface! LOL@that was a week ago! Thats exactly my point dummy, it was a week ago yet YOU were looking for me when I don't really give a fuck about you or when you post! LOL@e-feelings. bigfail, I'm not worried about you man. The latest boxing news has already been posted or heyzel will post it as he or she gets it. Relax man. This isn't gonna help your "Heresy is a manny nut riding casual boxing fan" crusade so shut the fuck up.

LMAO B @B-One ing your approval. You're the guy who worries about who props who, now relax man.

Feb 3, 2006
The fact that you would even ask is telling, shitface! LOL@that was a week ago! Thats exactly my point dummy, it was a week ago yet YOU were looking for me when I don't really give a fuck about you or when you post! LOL@e-feelings. bigfail, I'm not worried about you man. The latest boxing news has already been posted or heyzel will post it as he or she gets it. Relax man. This isn't gonna help your "Heresy is a manny nut riding casual boxing fan" crusade so shut the fuck up.

LMAO B @B-One ing your approval. You're the guy who worries about who props who, now relax man.
lol. Not one post about boxing and you still whinning about your E-feelings. All of the boxing news posted in this thread and all you want to do is comment about Manny just like I always say about you. Now look who really go exposed?? Again you never post anything about boxing other then Manny nuthugging or Mayweather hating. Now do your dumb ass understand what I meant a week ago?? Now again I've exposed you as a Manny nuthugger now post some boxing news and stop showing your E-feelings.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Ricardo Mayorga has said on Nicaraguan TV that he is set to fight Canelo and is flying to the states to sign the contract on Tuesday....

What a joke if true!!!

And the WBC, who denied Austin Trout as a challenger, who are making Lara/Kirkland/Vanes fight 50 "title eliminator" fights to get a crack at Canelo...if they sanction this fight, what an absolute disgrace. How many title eliminator fights has Mayorga won again? Oh yeah, none. That's right Mayorga hasn't won a fight at 154 since 2005. lmao

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
lmao how can you be down with a mayorga fight? it's a joke of a fight especially when Lara/Trout/K9/Vanes/Molina are all available and all ranked in the top 10. I guess it's smart to fight an old washed up fighter when it comes to canelo but with other guys it's called protecting a fighter?

Jan 12, 2006
Exactly finally a Mexican fighter with some good management to protect that undefeated record. People aren't discrediting Mayweather or Pacroids legacy and they did the exact same thing. Pacquiao won fighter of the decade by getting protected. I'm tired of people wanting every Mexican fighter to fight anyone and everyone who calls them out or be a fighter with no defense that just pushes forward and makes the fight a war to please the crowd. Yea that made Morales, Barrera, and Marquez HOF's but at the same time i feel their careers fell short of Pacroids and Mayweathers career because they were mismanaged and not protected the way Manny and Floyd were protected. Canelo will be around for a long time, at a young age he's gained a lot of leverage that he should continue to use to his advantage. Fights should be on his terms for the exception of a mayweather match up.

Jan 12, 2006
Canelo needs to make the floyd fight happen, big pay day and a win-win situation for him imo. If he loses i think he will look great doing it, if that makes any sense. Look at cotto he lost to Mayweather but I didn't feel his stock really fell or took a hit. If canelo pulls an upset, well shit he solidifies that he is the real deal. The outcome of the Canelo vs Mayweather fight will determine who Canelo should start fighting next, if he loses bring on Kirkland, Ortiz, Lara, Vanes, K9, Molina, and Trout. If he wins bring on Chavez Jr, Martinez, Pac, Cotto, Bradley, and Marquez.