Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 23, 2006
Valuev is overrated.I remember a while back I think it was valuev first fight in the u.s.a Im not sure who it was against I think it was monte barret some cat that loss his mom to cancer . That fight was a FREAK SHOW! I think monte won it was on h.b.o

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Valuev is overrated.I remember a while back I think it was valuev first fight in the u.s.a Im not sure who it was against I think it was monte barret some cat that loss his mom to cancer . That fight was a FREAK SHOW! I think monte won it was on h.b.o
Barrett got that ass spanked by Valuev but got a gift decision against Holyfield. Valuev is absolutely terrible but he'll still probably beat David Haye.

Jul 24, 2005
Joe Calzaghe: "Froch Beats Dirrell, But Kessler The Best"

By Mark Vester

They may have traded plenty of insults in the media over the years, but that still hasn't stopped Joe Calzaghe from picking WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch to beat undefeated Andre Dirrell on Saturday night. Calzaghe still views him as a vulnerable fighter with a bad defense. He doesn't give him a big shot to beat WBA champ Mikkel Kessler. He feels Kessler is by far the best fighter in the Super Six tournament.

"The best thing for British boxing would be a Carl Froch win, I am sick of him talking about me and don’t want to put him down anymore, he’s got a lot of heart, is a big-hitter and deserves great credit for his career," Calzaghe told South Wales Argus.

"He’s very vulnerable as he doesn’t really defend too much, but I expect him to beat Andre Dirrell on Saturday and to go fairly well in this. I wish him the best of luck, but if a year of inactivity hasn’t affected Mikkel Kessler too badly, he’s head and shoulders the best fighter in the tournament. I don’t fancy Froch’s chances if he faces Kessler, but I wish him well anyway

Jul 24, 2005
Amir Khan: Belt Around His Waist, Eyes On Greater Prizes

By Jake Donovan

To the average fighter, winning a major title means the pinnacle of his career. If nothing else pans out beyond that, he can always go home saying he once reigned as champion.

Amir Khan realized his goal of obtaining major alphabet hardware with a convincing points win over Andriy Kotelnik this past July. While it served as the biggest moment of his career to that point, he’ll be damned if it’s all he ever accomplishes during his stay in the pro ranks.

“I always have ambitions,” said Khan (21-1, 15KO), now four years into his pro career, but just 22 years young. “My goal was to win the world championship – I managed that. My next goal is to become the best in the light welterweight division. These are the challenges I need to achieve that goal.”

The first challenge on tap comes in the form of a December 5 title defense in Newcastle, England. Awaiting him will be undefeated mandatory challenger, Dmitriy Salita (30-0-1, 15KO) of Brooklyn, New York by way of Odessa, Ukraine.

At first glance, the fight is viewed as Salita traveling into hostile territory and Khan boasting home court advantage. The geographical assumption is downplayed when noted by British media that it will be Khan’s first fight in the Northeastern English town of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, approximately 2 ½ hours from his Bolton, Lancashire hometown.

The travel equivalent in the United States would be Salita going from his Brooklyn home to, say Atlantic City. But all regions aren’t created equal, and while Khan may be a star in his hometown, the trek to Newcastle is believed to be instrumental in furthering his UK appeal.

“A lot of fighters have been to Newcastle to fight, most notably Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe,” points out Frank Warren, who used to promote the aforementioned superstars and currently guides Khan’s career. “Amir has yet to travel to that part of the (country). It’s part of building his appeal, having him fight all around the country.

“Amir is a success story’ the best way to build on that success is to rally behind our fighters.”

Khan received no greater rally of support from his countryman than when he served as the nation’s lone representative during the 2004 Summer Olympics.

Just 17 years old, Khan served as the little engine that could, advancing all the way to the Finals. He was ultimately forced to settle for Olympic Silver after coming up short against Cuba’s Mario Kindelan, whom also defeated the Brit months earlier.

Afterward came the promise of capturing Gold in the 2008 Games. Instead, Khan decided to end his amateur career on a high note of a different kind, upending Kindelan in what would serve as his final amateur fight, in 2005 before turning pro later that summer.

Five years after having served as Britain’s youngest Olympian in three decades, he went on to become the third youngest champion in the nation’s history with his win over Kotelnik.

Onto the next goal – running things in the light welterweight division.

Looming now is the temptation to overlook the December fight and eye bigger game in a division traditionally loaded with talent, but where its superstars and leaders aren’t always willing to face the rest of the field.

For a fighter like Khan, marketable yet perceived to be vulnerable, there exists pots of gold in the form of fighters such as former champion Ricky Hatton, recently defeated Juan Manuel Marquez or even lineal champion Manny Pacquiao should he decide to return to 140.

If none of the aforementioned superstars opt to look his way, there still exists plenty of options for Khan to leave his impression on the division. The wait won’t be long; one week following his defense against Salita, another title fight takes place between unbeaten American light welterweights Tim Bradley and Lamont Peterson.

The focus remains on Salita - for now, though presumably through fight night. Should he emerge successful, Khan has every intention of giving Bradley-Peterson a good look.

“We want to fight the best in the division,” insists Khan, who only recently moved up to 140 after having spent most of his career five pounds south. “Lamont Peterson is a tough challenger, and Tim Bradley is a great fighter. The light welterweight division is a tough division. I want to be its next superstar.”

First there’s the pesky matter of getting past Salita, unbeaten but also untested to date.

There aren’t many who give the Brooklyn-based Ukrainian much of a shot to score the upset, so a different angle is sought in order to arouse interest in the fight. Though born and raised in England, Khan is of Pakastani descent and a practicing Muslim; Salita is an Orthodox Jew.

While those in search of revving up a race or religion war will play up the pairing, Khan doesn’t pay it any mind.

“The religious thing is what we do in our private time. When it comes to fighting, I just walk to the ring and do what I have to do. We can’t bring religion into this.

“This is a fight between two great boxers, and the best man that night shall win.”

Translation: expect Khan to only focus on Dmitriy Salita, the undefeated challenger.

“I know my opponents are coming to beat me. It only makes me train that much harder. Dmitriy is my number-one mandatory challenger. I’m working on the mistakes I’ve made in previous fights and working to get better and better.”

No bigger mistake was made than the belief that he couldn’t get got. It was a lesson he had to learn the hard way, when then-unbeaten Colombian lightweight Breidis Prescott blitzed through him in less than a minute last September.

Many in the media jumped at the opportunity to kick him while he was down, insisting the knockout loss to be months in the making after having been dropped in previous fights and also of the belief that he’d never come anywhere close to living up to the hype.

Among the critics, was Khan himself, though obviously nowhere near as dismissive as those who didn’t believe he possessed the wherewithal to regroup and move onward.

Rather than dwelling on the disastrous showing, Khan took the night for what every loss should truly serve as – a learning experience.

“What happened with me in my first defeat… I learned more in that fight than in any other,” insists Khan. “When I was defeated, I looked at the entire structure of my boxing career and decided to make changes. It was a blessing in disguise.”

He’s since won three straight, though the most notable change along the way has been in weight. When the opportunity arose to face Kotelnik, Khan and his team decided it was no longer worth the effort to shrink down his 5’10” frame to the lightweight limit.

It proved to be the difference in training just to make weight, and actually focus on training for a fight. In what was supposed to be the toughest test of his career, Khan easily turned away the challenge of Kotelnik, who had long ago proven to be nobody’s pushover.

The win was Khan’s third straight following the Prescott debacle, with the Salita fight marking his fourth bout in 364 days. Not only is he all the way back, but already ahead of the curve – and by his own insistence, with the best still yet to come.

“I believe myself to be at 8o% (of his career potential). I don’t think I’ll hit my peak until I’m 23 or 24 years old.”

It could be bad news for Salita, since the fight comes three days shy of Khan’s 23rd birthday. Though beyond expectations by age, there’s also the matter of the massive upgrade Khan enjoys in his corner, which he believes will only help him further realize the next goal on his checklist – light welterweight supremacy.

“I’m with one of the best trainers in the world in Freddie Roach and will only get better

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather Should Get The Most Money, Says Schaefer

By Mark Vester

According to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, Floyd Mayweather Jr. should be the one to get the bulk of the money in a potential fight with Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto or whoever else. Schaefer told BoxingScene.com’s Bill Emes that Mayweather showed his ability to generate money with the recent pay-per-view buyrate of 1 million homes for his fight with Juan Manuel Marquez in September.

“Floyd Mayweather is not afraid of fighting anyone. At the same time, if he's the one who is generating most of the money - why shouldn't he be treated as such. Oscar was the one who generated most of the money. Oscar, in every one of his fights, got the bulk of the money so why shouldn't Mayweather do the same. I don't understand. There shouldn’t be no double standards,” Schaefer said.

All is not lost. Schaefer said there could be a compromise if the November 14 bout between Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto happens to generate a buyrate that is equal to 1 million homes, or higher. But if the event is not at the same buy level of Mayweather-Marquez, then Schaefer sees no reason for a split of 50-50 on the money [with the winner of Pacquiao-Cotto].

“If Pacquiao and Cotto sell the same amount of homes or more [as Mayweather], then we will have some things to discuss. But if Pacquiao and Cotto is going to sell 600,000 homes or whatever, then why should it be 50-50? Why? Because some boxing fans think it should be? Or maybe not even fans, because some media thinks it should be? It doesn't work like that. I think eventually that fight is going to happen. When it happens, it happens, but let it happen naturally,” Schaefer said.

Jul 24, 2005
Jamie Moore: "Ryan Rhodes Can’t Break My Will"

By Terence Dooley

Salford’s Jamie Moore allowed BoxingScene.com exclusive access to his final hard day of training ahead of his showdown with Sheffield’s Ryan Rhodes. Rhodes challenges for Moore’s European light-middleweight title at the Bolton Arena next Friday night. The contest is a make-or-break showdown between two of Europe’s top 154lb boxers and it should give the winner a nice ratings boost – the contest is also a WBC world title eliminator.

However, Moore is still coming to terms with the news that Julio Cesar Chavez Junior has been elevated to #1 in the latest WBC rankings. Jamie put questions about the Rhodes fight to one side for a moment to discuss the Chavez situation.

“It sends out the wrong message,” said Moore, currently ranked at #3 by the WBC. “The WBC said that Chavez is ranked so highly based on his popularity and ticket sales. What does that mean for fighters who have worked their way through the rankings over the past few years?”

“It means that you can put in all that work only to see someone else jump the queue,” he continued. “I’ve got nothing against Chavez but I do think that he should have earned the position on merit and not just on his name or popularity.

“I’ve got a feeling that the fuss made over Chavez’s ranking might see the winner of my fight made mandatory or, if they are still pandering to Chavez, they might put me in with him as a final eliminator. If he pulls out of a fight with me, and I think he would, they’ll make a fight between me and Kermit Cintron [#2] – who is talking about going back down to welter. Though I still think that I’ve got a good chance of being made mandatory if I win this Rhodes fight. We’ll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

“Maybe I should start crying over it and to get somewhere by acting like a prima Donna. They’ll probably do something daft like making Chavez mandatory and putting me into an interim fight. At least I’d fight Cintron if that came about, in America if possible. Chavez has not beaten anyone of stature. He is improving but not to the point where he should be made number one contender.

“I’m stuck as I’m not ranked with any other organization. I always made it clear that I wanted to fight for the WBC title. I’ve worked hard to get a ranking and am there on merit. I grew up watching the likes of Mike Tyson and Nigel Benn, they always held the WBC so I wanted that title, and I still do.

“[WBC title holder] Sergio Martinez is good but I know for a fact that I’d give him nightmares. He wouldn’t like the pressure. Cintron is one of those fights where you might not know that you’ve lost until you wake up! But look at who Cintron’s recent fights. Antonio Margarito overwhelmed him with pressure. I’d bring that pressure and the southpaw stance that Martinez brought when he drew with Cintron.”

“I know that I will perform at the higher levels,” stressed Moore. “I’d be razor sharp and those natural sensors would be switched on. I’ve always said that I’ve got more chance of losing out of complacency than someone being better than me. I perform better when there is danger.”

We cannot talk about what Moore worked on in today’s session, for obvious reasons, but we can reveal that the fighter is primed ahead of the Rhodes showdown. Most people are told to avoid the dangers of the main road; Moore, however, is heading into a fight with a still-dangerous Rhodes.

“I’m glad that all the hard work is done now,” said Moore. “I just want to get in there and fight. Oliver told me not to push it past the point where I’m ready. He could feel that it was all there today: the sharpness, the freshness and the fitness. I’ll have a day off and sharpen up on the pads for the rest of the week. I’m close to the weight and I’m buzzing. Two-months of hard work has gone into the bank. Rhodes was British champion when I turned pro so it is a nice little story as well.”

Indeed, Rhodes has had a stirring Indian summer: blasting aside Gary Woolcombe for the British belt, successfully defending the belt against Jamie Coyle and then out-boxing Vuma for the WBC International title. Moore, though, believes that Ryan will be unable to last the course in their fight; consequently, he believes that Ryan will have to go for broke.

“I don’t think he will try to out-box me, for the simple reason that he won’t be able to stay away for twelve rounds. I think they are going to gamble on knocking me out. They’ll be trying to make me walk onto a big shot in the early rounds. I’m ready for that,” declared Moore.

“Everyone knows what Ryan does, and he does it well, but I’ve got an answer for everything he will bring. My pace is probably twice as high as his. I’ll have two more shots in answer to every one of his.

“Ryan dictates fights by being awkward. I force my style on people. I won’t give him the room to think and breathe. I believe that my style is a nightmare for him so his only chance is to put me to sleep.”

Both men knew that the British boxing public were salivating over the prospect of this contest so they put their heads together and made it happen, simple. “I know that Ryan wanted this fight,” revealed Moore.

“At his age and at this stage he needs a quick route to a world title fight. He’s ranked with the WBC [at #7] and it suited us both to make the fight. Christophe Canclaux was my mandatory for the European but he was messing us about – using us as insurance when trying to get a fight Martinez. So we asked the EBU for another voluntary knowing that Rhodes would want the fight. Canclaux was not forthcoming in discussions and the EBU accepted this fight as a voluntary defense.

“You’ve got to remember, as much as this is good for the British public and Ryan’s in with a puncher’s chance, I know 100% that I have the beating of him, and anybody in the world. When the fight was mentioned I jumped at it. It is a chance to build my reputation with the British fans and move up the world ratings.”

Indeed, the ease of the negotiations, coupled with the mutual respect shown by both, led to the assumption that the build-up to this contest would see two nice guys saying nice things about one another and ditching the trash talking that has become the norm. This assumption has played out in reality, although there was a bit of a blip when Rhodes failed to show for the presser last month. Moore, though, was quick to point out that there is no ill will on his behalf.

“I took the day of training, we get there and he didn’t turn up, so I was a bit pissed off at the time,” he said. “Then we found out why he didn’t turn up, his co-manager couldn’t make it, and I thought, ‘Never mind’. A big thing was made out of it for the publicity but there was no bad blood. It is done now and in the past. I know he’ll definitely turn up on the night, no doubt.

“I bumped into Ryan when I was getting my shorts sorted and we had a laugh about it. We’re going to get to fight each other anyway so we could either row about it or be men and shake hands over it. I’m not mithered either way as long as the fight happens so we shook on it. It was nothing.”

Jamie also took a philosophical approach to those who think he will be exposed in this fight, telling me that boxing is driven by differing opinions. “Everyone is entitled to an opinion,” explained Moore.

“People prefer different styles of fighting. The people who prefer Ryan’s style of fighting have a picture in their head of how his style will defeat my style. It is all down to your preference and opinion. People may think he will beat me but I know that I’ll beat him – no matter what he throws at me. I think I’ve got the answers in this fight.”

Moore has been the come-forward aggressor in recent contests, the European title wins over Michele Piccirillo and Roman Dzuman (third and second round stoppage wins) especially, but he can box; he showed his defensive skills in 2007 when defusing the current European middleweight titlist Matthew Macklin over ten pitiless rounds. The recent KO wins may have caused people to forget that Moore can use his head when the occasion fits.

“Exactly,” he affirmed. “I was able to be aggressive in recent fights. There is no other way to look at it. I’m a pressure fighter, that is my forte, and I’m going to apply that style of fighting. I’ve got other aspects to fall back on in times of need – but I’ve not had those times of need in recent fights. I’ve got everything in my locker when push comes to shove. I just need someone good to help me bring it all out.

“I’ve gone into big fights that I’ve been expected to win and made things harder than they had to be. For this one, I know the risks and have trained and dedicated myself to winning this fight.

“Piccirillo fought well against Vernon Forrest a year before he lost to me and I always knew that I could do a job like that. I’ve always had injuries and motivational factors but I went into that one without either problem. I proved that I can perform on a big stage. When the stages get bigger my performances will improve.

“I’ve been sharp and kept my strengths going. The busier the better for me but I’ve not been able to show that in recent years. I’ve been able to push-on this year. This fight is the one that will push me into a world title fight. If I lose this one the world title won’t happen – so I’ve left nothing to chance. Ryan is in trouble on fight night.”

Rhodes’ boxing ability is married to a decent amount of power; the Sheffield southpaw often catches his opponents when they are unawares or moving in. Moore knows that he will have to be on his toes.

“Ryan is a natural puncher, a good counter puncher, so I’ve got to watch out as he’ll try to walk me onto his shots,” revealed Moore. “I am hard to counter because I don’t lead off from long-range. If he catches me clean he’ll hurt me but my being hurt does not necessarily mean that he’ll win the fight, as I’ve shown in the past that I can come back strong after being hurt.

“How many fights has Ryan turned in his career? None. I can’t think of one instance of him doing this. He only wins fights once he gets in front, he doesn’t come from behind to win fights. I don’t think he has that mental fortitude to come through crises and win a fight. I’ve done that, ten-fold in some fights.

“I fought a massive, strong guy who fought at an overwhelming pace in Macklin but came through to win that fight. I’ve also gone into fights lacking motivation and made things hard on myself in those fights but I still won and dug deep to come through. No one can break my will.

“Scott Dixon was the last person to properly beat me [a fifth-round reverse in 2001] in my mind [Writer’s note: Moore dismisses the back-to-back losses he suffered in 2004; a DQ and injury TKO to Michael Jones and Ossie Duran respectively]. Dixon exposed my weight and fitness problems, not my will or boxing ability. I was winning the fight before the end came. Rhodes has not faced those types of problems and come through them to win a fight.

“What Ryan has learned is how to go the distance without getting knocked out. He did this against Gary Lockett and Otis Grant. Ryan can cope with problems in a fight but he has never learned how to turn a fight around and get the win.”

Ryan’s fans point to Rhodes’ impeccable form at light-middleweight – his four defeats came when campaigning at middleweight. Moore believes that this statistic is erroneous; he also believes that it will become history come fight night.

“People say he’s never lost at light-middle but he’s not taking on a light-middle,” claimed Moore. “I’m probably bigger than the middleweights he’s fought and come fight night I’ll be closer to light-heavy in terms of strength and size. He’ll see this on the night and think, ‘What the fucking hell am I dealing with?’

“I just hope that the people who picked Ryan on Boxrec and the forums don’t turn around and say he was old. If I totally destroy him then don’t say he was shot. If you look at his career he ain’t that much older than me [Writer’s note: Ryan is 32-years-old, Moore is 30] and hasn’t taken a lot of punishment, he hasn’t been in the hard fights that I’ve had, so no excuses! There are no signs of him being shot. Ryan has never been battered. Gary Lockett did a good job on him but finished the fight looking worse around the face than Ryan was. Ryan hasn’t been through the mill.”

Moore went through the mill in that grueling fight with Matthew Macklin in 2006. The two men are good friends and Moore feels that Matthew’s recent form has put that win into perspective.

“I think so,” said Moore when asked if Matthew’s recent form had given him a boost. “He’s come on great in the last nine-months. Obviously, the move up to middleweight suited him. I don’t agree with people who think the weight affected the result of our fight. If he was weight-drained he wouldn’t have fought ten-rounds at that weight. I think there is a difference between being drained and absolutely killing yourself to make the weight. It hurt me to make the weight and I don’t think it took away too much from him on the night. I do think he did right to move up and I’m absolutely over the moon for him.

“If the rematch comes we’d both take it. We’ve spoken about it; we are friends but said we’d take it if the money is good. I’d move up in weight out of necessity to make that fight happen.”

For the moment, though, Moore is happy at light-middleweight, where his natural size and strength can come to the fore. Indeed, this strength has been increased by weightlifting sessions with nutrition and conditioning guru Kerry Kayes; critics, Rhodes amongst them, believe that Moore has looked slow in his recent fights. Moore shook his head when asked if the weights could prove to be counterproductive.

“Not at all,” he insisted. “I’ve seen that Ryan thinks they have made me slower, that isn’t the case as I feel more explosive to be honest. I have slowed down in one way but that is out of choice. [Trainer] Oliver [Harrison] told me to slow down and not to rush my work. I was snatching at shots before and not getting maximum power into them. Oliver has made me take my time. My punches might be slightly slower but they are twice as hard and that showed in my last two outings. Ryan will find out that I’m not slow and he’ll also find that I’m too strong for him.

Moore added a rejoinder: “As long as I do the weight right how can I be too big or muscular? If that was the case I wouldn’t be able to make the weight.”

Finally, Oliver Harrison has always believed in Moore; his quiet belief that his charge will one day hold the WBC title has never wavered. Jamie told us that Oliver is a calming influence on him.

“Oliver has had an unbelievable impact on my career,” he confirmed. “He is probably the most influential person in my career. He turned things around after the Scott Dixon defeat. I was really down but Oliver persuaded me to carry on boxing. Oliver is the calm side to my aggressive nature. We are the perfect combination and meet somewhere in-between. That is the key to my style – I’m aggressive but I’m also calm. That comes from Oliver and I thank him for that.”

Harrison proved his worth during Moore’s white-hot rubbermatch with Michael Jones. The Liverpudlian had floored Moore twice in round three; Harrison soaked his fighter down at the round’s end before calmly, and with genuine concern, telling his boxer that he was putting himself, and his corner team, through the mill.

“Yeah,” laughed Moore. “Oliver said, ‘Don’t you dare do that again’. That is him giving me a bollocking!” It worked. Moore won the fight by halting Jones in the sixth round.

Moore and Harrison both hope, and believe, that the fight with Rhodes will not require such intensive corner work. However, Ryan’s pedigree and desire could leave their hopes in ruins. Either way, it should be an entertaining night, and fight, but the real fun will begin when the winner travels to Korea to push his claims at the WBC convention only to find that the organization is too busy championing Chavez Junior to pay any heed

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather vs Alvarez in Mexico? Schaefer Says Maybe

By Mark Vester

We know the main players to land Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2010. The list includes Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto and Shane Mosley. During a recent interview with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, he advised BoxingScene.com's Bill Emes that undefeated welterweight prospect Saul Alvarez (29-0, 22KOs) of Mexico is a dark horse to land a potential fight with Mayweather in 2010.

Alvarez, 19, is a popular fighter in Mexico and he has power but he is not even close to ready for a fight with Mayweather. Maybe in a few years. Schaefer told BoxingScene that a Mayweather-Alvarez fight would a huge event if they made it in Mexico.

"There is a young fighter, 19-years-old. All of Mexico is talking about him. And he is filling up 10,000 people in venues in Mexico. He is fighting at 147; he's undefeated. He's a red head, a red head Mexican. They call him "Canelo," cinnamon head - Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. He would like nothing better than to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr," Schaefer told BoxingScene.

"You put Saul Alvarez in with Floyd Mayweather and you put it in Aztec Stadium - you sell 100,000 tickets. The guy [Alvarez] on his own sells 10 to 20,000 tickets. Floyd Mayweather is a big event fighter.

Jul 24, 2005
Trainer George Peterson - "Kelly Pavlik Will Be Paul Williams' Biggest Fight. And His

Exclusive Interview by James Slater - Now that the eagerly anticipated Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams middleweight title fight is back on, fans everywhere are once again debating who will win on December 5th. Although he is naturally bound to be biased, George Peterson feels the man having his hand raised at The Boardwalk Hall will be his fighter Paul Williams, 37-1(27).

The trainer of the 6'1" southpaw who has already collected world titles at welterweight and light-middleweight very kindly gave me the following interview earlier today. Here is what George had to say in answer to my questions:

James Slater: I know this must be a busy time for you, George. But these interviews go down great with the fans who read Eastside Boxing. Can I ask you first, were you relieved when the Williams-Pavlik fight was announced as being back on?

George Peterson: Yes, because it had been pending for so long, and it was time to address it. You know, you're either going to do the fight or you're not - so why prolong it? People really want to see this fight, so it makes no sense not to give them what they want. These guys [pro fighters] are in the entertainment business, at the end of the day; that's what it's all about..

You see, the thing is, Paul came along at the wrong time. Back in the days of Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran, those guys didn't ever care who they fought; they just fought! Today, the so-called top guys only fight guys they know they can beat. But that's not Paul - he'll go up and down to get the fights he wants, as he's proven in the past a number of times. Paul can still make welterweight - his weight yesterday was 155 and a-half. So he can still make 147 no problem. But who would he get to fight him at welterweight? We've tried that before and nobody wanted to know. Let me ask you, when these so-called top guys win, when do you ever hear them call out Paul Williams? It never happens. You mention Paul and they'll tell you quick, "No."

J.S: Most people would say this fight with Kelly Pavlik is Paul's biggest fight to date - even though he's faced some top-notch guys like Antonio Margarito and Winky Wright. Do you agree?

G.P: I think this is his biggest fight, but also his easiest fight.

J.S: Wow. A lot of fans would ask you why you would make such a bold statement. Is it simply based on styles? You feel Paul's style will deal with Pavlik easily?

G.P: It's based on styles, yes. But at the same time, I don't see all that much from Kelly Pavlik. They say he's this great puncher who has stopped all these fighters, but - he couldn't KO [Marco Antonio] Rubio. He couldn't KO a 44-year-old man [Bernard Hopkins]. Rubio quit against Pavlik. I'm not convinced about Pavlik being this huge puncher. A better question is, can Pavlik take Paul's power? Paul has stopped 27 guys himself. Can Pavlik handle Paul's punches?

J.S: I was going to ask you if you think this is Paul's most dangerous fight yet, but you obviously don't think so, George!

G.P: No way. He's been in with guys who can punch before, and guys who really can hit - like Walter Matthysse. He was 25-0(24) at the time, and Paul will tell you today, that's the hardest he's ever been hit. But he weathered that storm. These people who tell you Pavlik will punch too hard, they have to worry about if he can take Paul's punching power, that's what they've got to be concerned about.

J.S: It's interesting that you mentioned the great era of Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran. Does Paul look up to those guys? Do they inspire him?

G.P: Well, he has the same approach as those guys. He has the same gumption, the same mentality. You know, Paul can't understand why other fighters aren't the same as him, with the same approach as he has. That's the problem; all these guys today, they are business men instead of fighters. They will never face fighters other than ones they know they can beat. That's why I sometimes tell Paul to box in fights, and not to go for the KO we all know he can get - because why KO guys when nobody will fight him now as it is? Who today wants to fight Paul?

J.S: Can I ask you what weight you plan Paul to enter the ring at come fight night on December 5th?

G.P: We will try for 157. Paul can't get any higher.

J.S: And will Paul be strong and just as fast at that weight? I know he's fought at middleweight before.

G.P: No doubt about it, he will be strong and he will be fast. This will be another fight like the Winky Wright fight.

J.S: By that do you mean you think the fight will go the distance?

G.P: No, Paul will get him out of there. He'll step to him and sit down on his punches.

J.S: So you mean the Pavlik fight will be one-sided, as was the Wright fight?

G.P: Whatever Pavlik tries, he won't have enough to deal with Paul Williams. Paul has too many different ways of fighting. Pavlik won't be able to cope.

J.S: What do you say to those people who say if Pavlik can get inside and make it his fight and push Paul back, like he did against Jermain Taylor, he will win?

G.P: No way. Jermain Taylor can't fight every minute of every round like Paul can, and he can't throw more punches in the 11th and 12th rounds than he does in the early rounds like Paul can. That's a big difference. And you're right to bring that up; Paul can fight on the inside very well. So if that's what they're looking for [ winning the battle on inside] they'll have a tough night!

J.S: Do you feel that if Paul wins this fight, and if he especially does so in a dominant and dramatic way, that he will be up in the stratosphere, so to speak? Will Paul become the big star he wants to be?

G.P: Well, do you think it's time, James?

J.S: I do, yes.

G.P: The thing is, there will be no excuses after Paul beats Pavlik. Nobody will be able to say the guy had bronchitis or that he was too old. There will be nothing anybody can say after Paul wins this fight.

J.S: It's been great speaking with you, George. For my final question, assuming he does win in December, will Paul stay at 160, or will he move back down?

G.P: He'll do whatever it takes to get the fights; just like he's doing now. The man has to eat, right? The man has to get fights. See, there are pound-for-pound fighters right now who are ranked higher than Paul, that won't go anywhere near him. I don't think that's right. Do you?

J.S: Well, I want tot thank you for the interview, George. Best wishes for the big fight on December 5th.

G.P: Okay, thank you, James.

Jul 24, 2005
Daivd Haye vs Nikolai Valuev: Another David And Goliath Or Can Goliath Win This Time

By Paul McCreath - On Saturday November 7 in Nuremberg Germany Nicolai Valuev will put his WBA heavyweight title belt on the line against former WBA, WBC and WBO cruiserweight champion David Haye. Most fans will not be all that interested in the discredited WBA belt nor will they be expecting a barnburner of a fight. Still this is an interesting match because the winner will be in the position to challenge one of the Klitschko brothers later next year in what could be a very big money fight if we get a decisive winner in this one. It is an important fight for the heavyweight division. Let us take a look at some of the factors that could help decide who wins this upcoming bout.

Age-David Haye has a good edge here. He is 29 and in his prime. Valuev is 36 and may be nearing the end of a long career. He has not looked good in his most recent fights but you have to ask has he ever really looked good?

Experience - There is no comparison. Valuev had been a pro for about 9 years before Haye even started. He has had 51 pro fights to 23 for Haye. Nicolai has been involved in 10 bouts that were either world title fights or eliminators, all at heavyweight.. David has never met a top heavyweight and fought only twice for the cruiserweight titles. His lone experience at heavyweight is composed of two easy tune-up type fights against Monte Barrett and Tomasz Bonin. Both Valuev and Haye have only one loss.

Size and Strength - While I don't believe as some do that David Haye is too small to compete as an effective top heavyweight he is really up against a huge barrier in this case. David stands 6 foot 3 and weighs around 220. Valuev is over 7 feet and around 320 pounds. That will be a very difficult handicap to overcome.

Punching Power - It is generally accepted that Haye is the harder hitter of the two but the difference may be smaller than most people think. We don't really know how well David's power will carry up with the big guys. He had excellent power as a cruiser and took out Bonin and Barrett easily enough but knocking out a top rated fighter is quite another matter. We just don't know what will happen when Haye connects with a top gun. We do know that Valuev cannot stop highly rated fighters. They all go the distance, probably because Nicolai is too slow to catch them rather than a lack of power. He did show back in 2006 against Barrett that he has power when he can land it although he certainly does not punch his weight. I give the advantage in power to Haye.

Defense-David is not all that hard to hit .In spite of his skills and speed he has been knocked down more than once. This is not all due to a faulty chin. Valuev on the other hand is hard to hit mostly because he is so tall that he is hard to reach and he keeps his opponents out of range with his long jab. He takes a lot of punches on his arms. Advantage Valuev.

Technical Skills- David Haye has a big edge in this category. He is fast and a pretty sound boxer overall .Valuev has few skills beyond that long jab. Without his immense size he would be an ordinary club fighter. There is one troubling fact about Haye's skills. His high rating in this area is based primarily on what he accomlished at cruiser in title fights against Mormeck and Maccarinelli. Looking back now those wins don't look quite as good. Mormeck was aging and had shown serious stamina problems in two earlier bouts against O'Neil Bell and he has never fought again since the Haye fight. Maccarinelli has since been KOd twice by unproven fighters. While David was probably the best cruiser in the world at that time how good was that really?

Stamina- There were questions about David Haye's stamina early in his career but it appears now that it was more a case of inexperience and poor pacing. Valuev has very good stamina. With his size advantage he may wear Haye down in the later rounds.

Durability- There was early talk of a weak chin with David but again as stated above it was likely only inexperience or maybe weak defense. He should be fine but Valuev is like a rock. He has never been off his feet. His head has been compared to a Volkswagen. The advantage goes to the big guy here.

Motivation- Normally you would think that as the younger challenger Haye would be more motivated than the aging Valuev but Haye may have changed this usual scenario. His pre-fight antics that are often a bit over the top may have angered Valuev. You know what they say about waking a sleeping giant. Nicolai is usually thought of as a fairly gentle soul but he can be aroused. We have all heard the story of how he beat up a parking attendant who had a dispute with Valuev's wife. What will happen if he comes into the ring riled up? I think we can call this category even. They both want to win really badly. That big payday against one of the Klitschkos is motivation enough.

Venue- This could be very important. Valuev is a Russian but he fights most of the time in Germany where he is very popular. The fans will be behind him while Haye is the visitor who is none too popular in some circles. Remember too that when it is close the house fighter often gets the edge from the judges. This will be a big hurdle for Haye to overcome.

My Prediction - While both fighters have enough power to stop the other I think a KO either way is unlikely. Most Valuev fights are pretty much the same. They are dull and boring with little action other than Valuev's jab and his opponent hitting his arms. They normally go the distance and end in a close disputed decision with Valuev the winner. I see little reason to believe that this one will be any different. Although the bookies have Haye as a -200 favorite the last time I looked and they are usually right you have to consider Valuev a very live underdog. I am going to stick my neck out and predict a Valuev victory over 12 rounds by the usual disputed decision.

Jul 24, 2005
John “The Quietman” Ruiz Gives Back to South Boston

Interview & Photogallery by Trish Kilcullen & Peter Mark Heintzelman - He received a phone call from his brother, that the South Boston Boxing Club had been ransacked, and boxing gear stolen. Gear that coaches and trainers, Tommy Lee and Eddie Ruiz, use to train neighborhood youth, in the art of boxing.

After Ruiz heard the news, he called his manager/attorney, Tony Cardinale. They made a call to Ringside (ringside.com) and worked out a deal to purchase new boxing gloves, pads and accessories, at cost, and low and behold, the gym was re-open today, for the youth to once again lace up the gloves, learn the skills of pugilism, and best of all, to be given a safe haven from the sometimes tough streets of South Boston.

At today’s presentation, South Boston Boxing Club was once again alive, with the staff, trainers, the boxing press, and, most importantly, the young men and women who seek shelter from the storms of life, at the club..

But it was not the shiny new gloves and pads that made the difference today; it was the words of John Ruiz (43-8-1, 29 KO’s), that impressed the champs of tomorrow:

“I grew up in the projects,” said John Ruiz, who drove up from Connecticut with his wife, Maribel today, for the presentation. “I had the opportunity to get off the streets, and stay out of trouble, by coming to the gym. I was given the opportunities to develop my skills, which has lead me to a better life. Because of boxing, I have had the opportunity to travel around the world, to become a world champion, and to do things I would never have had the opportunity to do. When I heard about the break-in and theft of boxing gear from the club, I just knew I had to do something to restore to the area’s youth, the opportunity to continue to learn boxing, and a better way of life.”

Ruiz had flown from his home base of Las Vegas, to Connecticut, to address the American Association of Professional Ringside Physicians, and took the time to drive up the coast, to his old stomping grounds at South Boston, to recharge its youth. And they were all smiles, when they got to jump into the ring with the three time world boxing champion, as Ruiz’ publicist, Bob Trieger, passed out new gloves to the smiling youngsters, while media lights and camera flashes documented the day.

It was such a big event that even a “Southie” native and Boston mayoral candidate, Michael Flaherty, took time out from his busy law practice and city councilor responsibilities, to appear in support the efforts of Ruiz and the kids.

Just before the event took place, EastSideBoxing caught up with The Quiet Man, to get an interview about his current standing in the heavyweight division:

EastSideBoxing: John, reports are that you are scheduled to fight on November 7, 2009, in Nuremburg, Germany, against a yet- to-be-announced opponent. Are you fighting on the 7th?

Ruiz: Yea, that’s what they are talking about. I’m pretty sure we are, but then again, boxing is a crazy world, and not everything always comes true.

EastSideBoxing: As you know, the WBA world heavyweight title bout is also scheduled in Germany on November 7th, between Nikolay Valuev and David Haye. Who do you think will win, and why?

Ruiz: I don’t really know much about David Haye, other than that he’s pulled out of a couple fights. I’m hoping this fight goes through, but you know, he’s already pulled out twice, so who knows. But Haye is not winning by decision in Germany over Valuev. So, well, in Germany, I have to go with Valuev, because when I fought Valuev in Germany, and although I beat him, I came out in the loss column! So . . . .

EastSideBoxing: Is it automatic that you will fight the winner of Valuev and Haye, for the WBA heavyweight belt, and do you have a preference as to whom you would like to fight?

Ruiz: Well, right now, that’s what we’re working on. We’re making sure we sign a contract with these guys, and let them know, we’re going to fight the winner. If I had a preference between both of them, I would rather fight Haye than Valuev, because otherwise, I can’t get a win in Germany. (“You would have to knock him out twice to win!” pipes in a ring insider, standing behind Ruiz).

EastSideBoxing: John, seventeen years a professional boxer, and now 37 years old – so, what has boxing given to you and your family, and how much longer do you intend to keep fighting - - and why?

Ruiz: It’s done a lot for me in my life. That’s the main reason I’m here at the South Boston Boxing Gym. When I was in the amateurs, I got to see the world. I saw a different life than I had in the projects. And at the same time, I stayed out of trouble, and so on and so on. And through my life, I’m glad that I could give back, and I hope it does help. I’m glad I’m asked to give back, and I hope it helps, and keep the kids going to the gym, and definitely, the good thing about it is, that they are not out there doing anything negative.

EastSideBoxing: Your nickname, “The Quiet Man.” How did you get that name?

Ruiz: I was working with the US amateur team. And, someone came to see me, and didn’t know me, and asked who I was. And someone pointed to me, and said “the quiet guy.” So the quiet guy turned into “The Quiet Man.” So, the name stuck.

EastSideBoxing: John, I understand you are a guest speaker at Mohegan Sun Casino, in Uncasville, Connecticut in a couple days, before the American Association of Ringside Physicians. What are you going to share with them?

Ruiz: I’m speaking to them on Friday, at their convention. It’s something that I’m hoping to give them a view on helping out the boxers themselves, and how to keep them safe.

EastSideBoxing: What message would you like to send to the other contenders in the heavyweight division?

Jul 24, 2005
So, Could Samuel Peter Wind Up Getting Another Heavyweight Title Fight

by James Slater - It's strange how things work in boxing sometimes. Only moments after he'd opted to remain on his stool after the 8th-round of his quite poor WBC heavyweight title fight defence against the come-backing Vitali Klitschko, the career of Samuel Peter looked as good as over at top level. But, instead of fading away, Peter fought on - first losing another fight, to Eddie Chambers, and then dropping some weight and clubbing the overmatched duo that was Marcus McGee and Ronald Bellamy to inside the distance wins..

Losing some much needed poundage and keeping busy seems as though it may have served "The Nigerian Nightmare" well. For as all those fans who have read about the Alexander Povetkin situation will be aware, Peter is in the frame for a fight with the unbeaten Russian in an interim IBF title fight. The aforementioned "Fast" Eddie Chambers is first in line to face Povetkin (in a rematch) for the interim version of the title Wladimir Klitschko holds, but Chambers, being the mandatory for Wladimir with the WBO, may decide to pass on the rematch fight and wait for his earned shot at "Dr. Steel Hammer" instead - and who could blame him?

That would leave Peter as the next highest IBF ranked fighter for Povetkin to get it on with. Imagine then: Peter could be just a few months or less away from yet another heavyweight title fight! It will be interesting to see how the fans will react if Povetkin-Peter does indeed get made. No doubt a good number of people would condemn the way the man who gave up his WBC crown in such disgraceful fashion had been rewarded with another big pay day and a further shot at glory.

But, and it may sound a dumb question, could the big-hitting Nigerian perhaps upset the apple cart in a major way and actually defeat Povetkin? In his last fight, back in September, 29-year-old Peter weighed-in at a much more acceptable 239-pounds, some four pounds lower than in his fight before that. Has Peter regained a desire to train and keep his bulk down? Back when he was clearly out-pointing James Toney in their rematch fight, Peter was seen by many as the best, or certainly most powerful, big man in the sport. And had he signed to fight Povetkin later that year, Peter would likely have been the favourite to win. Is it at all be possible the powerful fighter with the 32-3(25) record has matured mentally, has yet to reach his peak and will go on to beat Povetkin in 2009 or 2010 instead?

Again, it may sound silly asking such a question; especially as the sour taste of his no-show display against Vitali Klitschko is still pretty fresh in the mind. But strange things happen in this sport, and maybe, just maybe, the undeserving Peter is about to get a shot at the interim IBF belt and win it. As good as Povetkin is, he's not unbeatable, is he? And a fully motivated and in shape Peter would always have a puncher's chance of derailing the former amateur standout.

Sure, Povetkin would be my pick to win if he did actually wind up facing Peter some time either later this year or early next, but what if Peter upset the odds? It would certainly stir things up at or near the top of the division, wouldn't it?

Another, even more crazy possibility, is one that says a victorious Peter could then wind up going back in with Wladimir Klitschko! As interim champ, Peter would have a chance of getting to fight again for the real thing. How on earth would the sport take to Klitschko-Peter II!?!

Jul 24, 2005
Haye vs Valuev: David Haye Says He Will Have To Adopt "New Skill Set" To Beat Nikolai

by James Slater - Can an old (well, not old; let's say fully matured) dog learn new tricks? Heavyweight contender and future WBA title challenger David Haye believes so, and he has been working on a totally new game-plan to his usual approach as he gets ready to square off with the huge Nikolai Valuev.

In the past, as he freely admits himself, saying it's part of the reason he is so exciting watch, Haye has not been the most elusive of targets. Holding his hands low and leaning forwards in past fights, "The Hayemaker" has left his chin exposed and has ran the risks that go along with fighting that way.. But no way will Haye do this on November 7th, when he tackles the 7'2" and approx 320-pound Valuev in Nuremberg, Germany.

In an interview with British newspaper The Sun, Haye has revealed how he will fight in a totally different way on November 7th. Haye also says he is expecting the best possible Valuev to be in the ring with him, but that being new and improved, he will have an answer to everything the man mountain does.

"Usually, I love to lean forward," Haye said whilst describing his normal fighting style. "[But] if I use my usual style he'll be catching me with uppercuts and I can't afford that to happen. I'm going to have to adapt, punch at an angle I've never done before and get used to punches coming down at me.

"It's a totally new skill set and that's what I've been grafting away at."

It goes without saying how any fighter, when going up against a foe who is so much taller and bigger, has to change tactics. But can Haye stick to a disciplined game-plan and avoid getting overanxious if and when he gets his man hurt? Remember, Haye has said he plans to KO Valuev, and if he does see the big man wobble, will he revert to his old, all guns blazing style in an effort to earn himself the highlight reel KO?

Haye is a natural puncher (although he of course has fine boxing skills) and keeping his raw power under strict control while paying close attention to defence for a full 12-rounds, in such a big and important, not to mention largely viewed fight, will surely be a big ask. And if Haye does let loose with the bombs and either tires as a result or leaves himself open, will this give the champion a chance to lower the boom himself?

Haye says he will be able to cope with whatever Valuev does in the ring.

"He'll try to come out there using those ramrod jabs, soften me up and throw his trademark right uppercut to get me out of there" Haye continued. "I'm expecting the best Valuev to turn up but I've got a solution to anything he throws at me. I'm looking at throwing some big punches as often as possible."

So, can Haye turn himself into a fighter who is capable of throwing hayemakers, while at the same time keeping his chin out of harm's way? November 7th's fight is looking pretty interesting

Feb 23, 2006
saul 'canelo'alvarez everybody in mexico is talking about the kid i guess hes preaty good.but i dont think he ready for a floyd mayweather fight. the canelo camp said they want andre berto sometime next year.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
saul 'canelo'alvarez everybody in mexico is talking about the kid i guess hes preaty good.but i dont think he ready for a floyd mayweather fight. the canelo camp said they want andre berto sometime next year.
The albino mexican is pretty good. I like watching him fight and it's actually a shame that he's promoted by Golden Boy and they didn't even throw him on a fucking Friday Night Fights (which they had more set dates than any promoter this past season.) If anyone wants to see him fight I might have some on my HD somewhere.