Bosko, I got some Q's about the talk box

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 12, 2002
Sup Bosko? I was wondering if you could help me to better understand the talk box. As I understand, it is a small microphone like tube that you stick in your mouth, and the mic thingy is hooked into a keyboard. You talk into it, and modify the pitch by hitting keys on the keyboard. Do you know of any sites that explain the talk box or any sites that sell them? And if there's anything else I should know please include it. Thanks!

Peace,
Colin

Aug 12, 2002
The talkbox works slightly different than you think...
You hook the output of your keyboard into the input of the talkbox, which sends the sound up the tube and into your mouth. You then use your mouth to shape the sound (you don't really make any sound with your voice). Then you record what comes out of your mouth with a mic. You can get a helis talkbox at americanmusical.com, or a banshee talkbox at musiciansfriend.com.

-=bumpus=-

B

Bosko

He is pretty much on point with everything that he said. The only thing that you need to know, is that you need to practice alot to get it right, and you need the right sound for it to be correct. It takes alot of work to get the talkbox sounding good. You also should be somewhat skilled with the keyboard to play the sounds right.

B

Bosko

That's exactly what I mean. The talkbox is just like any other instrument, that takes alot of practice to master. If you are willing to put the time into it, you could get it right.

Apr 25, 2002
I want to stress something Bosko mentioned. I don't think people realize how important it is that you be a real player. As in keyboard player. I don't mean just pecking at the keys, I'm talking about actually being able to get behind a keyboard and get down. That makes all the difference in the world.

It *IS* just like any other instrument. You need to practice your control (how you say the words), your coordination (timing between what you say and how the keys are played), and then be a skilled enough keyboardist to play something that does the talkbox justice and isn't completely boring. There's nothing worse than people prematurely putting the talkbox all over stuff. Just wait until you're ready for that man.

B

Bosko

@ Sick Wid It

Thanks for adding to that info. Cats need to know that the talkbox is not an overnite skill. You hit it right on the button.

@ Burnetti
It's more about the sound that you use, more so then the keyboard. You have to find the right sound, and then you will have to edit the sound to get it sounding right. It is alot of work to get it right.