Blacks & Whites in the Midwest = Widest Gap of Any Two Racial Groups in the US

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
Ebony magazine's Lerone Bennett Jr. has written a history of Abraham Lincoln that calls for a reexamination of the racial attitudes of the 16th president of the United States. The `Great Emancipator,' argues the author, was actually a white supremacist.

Abraham Lincoln "was a racist who opposed equal rights for black people, who loved minstrel shows, who used the N-word, who wanted to deport all blacks," according to Lerone Bennett Jr., whose new book, Forced Into Glory: Abraham Lincoln's White Dream (Johnson Publishing Co., $35) examines Lincoln's record. "There has been a systematic attempt to keep the American public from knowing the real Lincoln and the depth of his commitment to white supremacy."

While the book may be shocking to readers accustomed to viewing the nation's 16th president as the "Great Emancipator," Bennett denounces that view as the "Massa Lincoln" myth. "We're dealing with a 135-year-old problem here," says Bennett, executive editor of Ebony magazine. "It's one of the most extraordinary efforts I know of to hide a whole man and a whole history, particularly when that man is one of the most celebrated men in American history."

Forced Into Glory is creating a stir inside and outside academia. The book is a "full-scale assault on Lincoln's reputation," wrote Eric Foner, a professor of history at Columbia University, in the Los Angeles Times. According to Time magazine columnist Jack E. White, Bennett's book "rips off the cover" of attempts by historians to hide "the unflattering truth about Lincoln's racist ideals."

Drawing on historical documents, Forced Into Glory chronicles Lincoln's racial beliefs and his actions toward blacks and slavery:

* Lincoln publicly referred to blacks by the most offensive racial slur. In one speech, Lincoln said he opposed the expansion of slavery into the territories because he didn't want the West "to become an asylum for slavery and n--s"

* Lincoln was, in the words of one friend, "especially fond of Negro minstrel shows," attending blackface performances in Chicago and Washington. At an 1860 performance of Rumsey and Newcomb's Minstrels, Lincoln "clapped his great hands, demanding an encore, louder than anyone" when the minstrels performed "Dixie." Lincoln was also fond of what he called "darky" jokes, Bennett documents.

Feb 10, 2006
Lincoln envisioned and advocated an all-white West, declaring in Alton, Ill., in 1858 that he was "in favor of our new territories being in such a condition that white men may find a home ... as an outlet for free white people everywhere, the world over."

* Lincoln supported his home state's law, passed in 1853, forbidding blacks to move to Illinois. The Illinois Constitution, adopted in 1848, called for laws to "effectually prohibit free persons of color from immigrating to and settling in this state."

* Lincoln blamed blacks for the Civil War. "But for your race among us there could not be a war," he said, "although many men engaged on either side do not care for you one way or another."

* Lincoln claimed that Mexicans "are most decidedly a race of mongrels. I understand that there is not more than one person there out of eight who is pure white."

Repeatedly during the course of his career, Lincoln urged that American blacks be sent to Africa or elsewhere. In 1854, he declared his "first impulse would be to free all the slaves and send them to Liberia -- to their own native land." In 1860, he called for the "emancipation and deportation" of slaves. In his State of the Union addresses as president, he twice called for the deportation of blacks. In 1865, in the last days of his life, Lincoln said of blacks, "I believe it would be better to export them all to some fertile country with a good climate, which they could have to themselves."

Advertisement

Such facts may not be well-known, but they are "not hidden in the records," says Bennett. "You can't read the Lincoln record without realizing all that" Lincoln became "a secular saint," he argues, partly because of the circumstances of his 1865 assassination, immediately after the Confederate surrender at Appomattox. "Without question, I think the manner of his death, the time of his death ... all these were major factors in turning Lincoln into the American icon."

As a result, historians have hidden much of the truth about that era. "People in the North don't know how deeply involved the North was in slavery," says Bennett, adding that Illinois "had one of the worst black codes in America.... Black people were hunted like beasts of the field on the streets of Chicago, with Lincoln's support."

Feb 10, 2006
rwashing34 said:
JUST LIKE WHEN YOU FILL OUT AN APPLICATION AND IT ASK YOU IF YOU EVER COMMITTED A FELONY.. KNOWING THAT IF YOU MARK YES.. THEY STILL WON'T HIRE YOU..
A white man who marks yes will still get hired before a black man who has no criminal record.

Feb 10, 2006
rwashing34 said:
YET THESE CRIMINALS WHO FOUNDED AMERICA WHO STOLE(CRIME) LAND FROM THE MEXICANS, INDIANS THE TRUTH

Nearly half of Mexico was straight up stolen from them in an unprovoked war by the USA.And amerikkkans have the nerve to call them illegals when thier ancestors were here before any europeon arrived.

BTW,Mexico is another white ruled society (Vicente Fox is a white man of spanish descent)just like the USA,so the war was pretty much two ''white'' created nations in conflict with each other.I still find it crazy that white americans really believe they have the rights to land blatently stolen from others (even though the people that controlled the land they took it from were for the most part spanish whites,who acquired the land and control by shady,racist means).

Some people mistakenly believe that the spanish language and culture is natutal to ''brown'' mexicans.It is no more natutal to them then english is to black americans.these are the langauges of white conquerers.

The indigenous people of North America do not control niether the US or Mexico.I can see why they dont respect borders created by white invaders.

dawun

Sicc OG
Oct 10, 2002
loyalty7414 said:
Nearly half of Mexico was straight up stolen from them in an unprovoked war by the USA.And amerikkkans have the nerve to call them illegals when thier ancestors were here before any europeon arrived.

BTW,Mexico is another white ruled society (Vicente Fox is a white man of spanish descent)just like the USA,so the war was pretty much two ''white'' created nations in conflict with each other.I still find it crazy that white americans really believe they have the rights to land blatently stolen from others (even though the people that controlled the land they took it from were for the most part spanish whites,who acquired the land and control by shady,racist means).

Some people mistakenly believe that the spanish language and culture is natutal to ''brown'' mexicans.It is no more natutal to them then english is to black americans.these are the langauges of white conquerers.

The indigenous people of North America do not control niether the US or Mexico.I can see why they dont respect borders created by white invaders.
that's real, many mexicans think Spanish is their native language, they don't even realize half what you said, mainly mexican americans don't realize this cause they grew up here in the U.S. and were never told any different, what a shame. (Not all but a lot)

Feb 10, 2006
Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
The fact that youre preaching to a GANGSTA RAP MESSAGE BOARD....is down right hilarious...

Thought I was just giving my insight on the topic(a topic many a gangster rapper addresses from Geto Boys,UGK,Ice Cube,etc).I forgot niggas arent supposed to talk about shit like this though.Just clothes,rappers and hoes.''Gangstas'' and street niggas arent even supposed to know how to read or use the internet either,right?

dawun

Sicc OG
Oct 10, 2002
loyalty7414 said:
Thought I was just giving my insight on the topic(a topic many a gangster rapper addresses from Geto Boys, UGK, Ice Cube,etc).I forgot niggas arent supposed to talk about shit like this though.'Just clothes,rappers and hoes.'Gangstas'' arent even supposed to know how to read or use the internet,right?
Keep preachin anywhere you want, there's other people on the board than Old Corduroy Boy, he's a clown anyway, always hatin on anything pro black and exposing whites.

Feb 10, 2006
dawun said:
Keep preachin anywhere you want, there's other people on the board than Old Corduroy Boy, he's a clown anyway, always hatin on anything pro black and exposing whites.

Good to see someone appreciates the transfer of knowledge.If we can learn a lil something from each other thats a good thing.Ignorance is never cool.Knowledge is always positive.

May 9, 2002
dawun said:
LOL!!

What the hell are you talkin about?????

You kids crack me up...

And datwo...youre white yourself honky boy...you aint the one to talk....

dawun

Sicc OG
Oct 10, 2002
Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
LOL!!

What the hell are you talkin about?????

You kids crack me up...

And datwo...youre white yourself honky boy...you aint the one to talk....
fuck you white boy i'm 30 yrs old aint no kid here son. why aint i one to talk? you don't know me fool. you the one always hatin on blacks and get mad when whites get exposed for racists. I can talk all i want you aint one to tell me otherwise Cracker.

May 9, 2002
dawun said:
fuck you white boy i'm 30 yrs old aint no kid here son. why aint i one to talk? you don't know me fool. you the one always hatin on blacks and get mad when whites get exposed for racists. I can talk all i want you aint one to tell me otherwise Cracker.
"hatin on blacks"????WOW....LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Are you just pullin shit out of your ass?Lets see this proof of me so called "hatin on blacks"....this should be fun....

30?I woulda guessed 13....oh well...

Jan 28, 2005
loyalty7414 said:
Not sure.Ask whites.They are the ones doing the oppressing.

FUCK THAT.

If thats the truth, tell me why my boys went into downtown Detroit and got told by a large group black kids that "you better not cross that street whiteboy, you might get your hat and shoes took" My homie was just catching a damn bus and theyre tryin to say he cant get on the street he needs to be on to catch that bus. He went anyway and didnt get fucked with, but thats besides the point.

Man, I lived in a ghetto where I was 1 of about 15 white kids in my entire middle/high school... and there was close to 1000 students who attended. I used to watch my back everyday because kids wanted to fuck with me for the sole purpose that I was white. I would be starving in my fuckin house dogg, without heat or a bed to sleep in, while kids got they damn parents to cop them 140 dollar Nike's waitin in line the day before they came out and shit. All the "minorities" were flossin nicely off their parents penny while my dad couldnt afford to give me shit... and I DID get fucked with for it. Cuz my damn shoes had holes and all that.

IGNORANCE AND RACISM ISNT JUST WHITE. Check your stupid ass comments.

Jan 28, 2005
This is a punk rock song written by Ian McKaye from a straight edge band called Minor Threat. He lived in D.C. during the 80s around the time crack hit, and he was hated on by blacks for reasons he never understood. Punk lyrics are all simplistic, but you shouldnt have a problem understanding the message.

You blame me
For slavery
A hundred years before I was born

Guilty of being white [4x]

I'm convicted
Of a racist crime
I've only served
19 years of my life

I'm sorry
For something I didn't do
Lynched somebody
But I don't know who

You blame me
For slavery

Guilty of being white.

Feb 10, 2006
KillaClown said:
This is a punk rock song written by Ian McKaye from a straight edge band called Minor Threat. He lived in D.C. during the 80s around the time crack hit, and he was hated on by blacks for reasons he never understood. Punk lyrics are all simplistic, but you shouldnt have a problem understanding the message.

You blame me
For slavery

Guilty of being white [4x]

I'm convicted
Of a racist crime
I've only served
19 years of my life

I'm sorry
For something I didn't do
Lynched somebody
But I don't know who

You blame me
For slavery

Guilty of being white.

Nobody here is even mentioning(slavery) but whites (ironic).Im talking about CURRENT RAMPANT DISCRIMINATION IN LOANS,JOBS,AND SENTENCING IN THE ''JUSTICE'' field.Read the current facts(such as white felons getting prefence over law abiding blacks, whites more likely to get loans even when they make less money,blacks getting harsher sentences,etc) that I put on here several times instead of ignoring them and pretending that Im talking about past issues.Thats happening in 2006, and its not blacks doing the discrimination to ourselves.No matter how much you want to pretend that this type of shit is in the past, its just not true,and you dont have to go back in time to find evidence of it.

Feb 10, 2006
KillaClown said:
This is a punk rock song written by Ian McKaye from a straight edge band called Minor Threat. He lived in D.C. during the 80s around the time crack hit, and he was hated on by blacks for reasons he never understood
Racism is institutionilized,its built into the very fabric of the USA.Blacks are not treated as fellow americans,we get treated like second class sub humans.Black people get angry because whites ignore this shit and expect us to do the same ,when we know its there because we are the ones who pay the price for it.

Dec 31, 2004
www.enigmagraphics.biz
DABullsDABears said:
Get hungry and outdo those who are trying to hold you down that is the best thing anyone can do regardless of their color. Also black people are not even near the most oppressed people in the country as the Native Americans who were here long before anyone else are put into unfertile dustbowl type areas (reservations), but even they can get out there and make something out of themselves. No matter what race, gender, sexual orientation, or religion you are this is America the greatest country in the world. It offers the most opportunity in the world and all it takes is motivation and drive and anyone can succeed. That is all I am saying. Thank you for the facts they are interesting I was just throwing in my opinion.
man u trippin' Native American's have it way better then Blacks for simple reasons AmeriKKKa gave the them sovereign land, a national apology as well as being native american or having family on that side your tuition for college is paid in full and countless other things. Being Black what do we get lost heritage, fucked up school system that breeds workers instead of owners, lower paying jobs oh wait I forgot we can get affirmative action to ensure we get a fair chance but even that hurt us... what about the mental scars that have been passed down from generation to generation? True we as black americans need to stop looking for help or handouts and do for self...

Amerikkka is a great nation but there is so much classism, racism & sexism here its crazy... You can have ask much drive and motivation as the next person but if my skin color is a deciding factor if I'm going to get that job or if I'm going to be treated fairly thats bullshit..

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
loyalty7414 said:
Nobody here is even mentioning(slavery) but whites (ironic).Im talking about CURRENT RAMPANT DISCRIMINATION IN LOANS,JOBS,AND SENTENCING IN THE ''JUSTICE'' field.Read the current facts(such as white felons getting prefence over law abiding blacks, whites more likely to get loans even when they make less money,blacks getting harsher sentences,etc) that I put on here several times instead of ignoring them and pretending that Im talking about past issues.Thats happening in 2006, and its not blacks doing the discrimination to ourselves.No matter how much you want to pretend that this type of shit is in the past, its just not true,and you dont have to go back in time to find evidence of it.
I guarantee if a black person with good credit walks into a loan office he will walk out with a loan. If a black person with no credit walks into a loan office he will walk away with nothing. 1/2 the time you can just get a loan over the phone anyways, they don't ask you what nationality you are all they wanna know is if you have a good credit rating. Dont you ever get those pre apporved credit card aplications in the mail? they dont ask what nationality you are either. As far as harsher sentances lesser wages your going to have to elaborate more. Your trying to act like allmost every white person is racist because thats what it would take to make as much of a difference in every day life like your saying.