Big Band Experiment Sparks Doomsday Fears

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
They never specified a time on Wednesday.
I think the dying part is supposed to be more significant of a factor when the atoms actually collide... this time they were just racing in a circle, no collisions for at least a few more months
Exactly

Which only makes my head hurt more every time I hear this doomsday BS

So big are the stupidity and ignorance among both regular people and journalists that they focus on how dangerous it is (or even worse - how expensive LHC is), instead of what it means for science, but as if this is not enough, they are not able to understand that if you're just running particles in a circle, nothing will happen.

All this tells a lot about why the SSC was canceled and nobody paid attention....

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
so what do we hope to accomplish with all this

::
In short: everything that can be accomplished with such a machine. It might be very little, might be a lot, depends on how well we have understood physics so far. If it is the former case, this is very bad news because the next energy level at which interesting results can be expected requires facilities of scale (and cost) that can not even be imagined given modern society's priorities