Beat Jacking! Once again, anyone else?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
yeah but its going to be hard to prove it in court. i suggest just putting all your beats on 1cd as 1 track and copyrighting them all under "Works of" so when its time to go to court then you got an official record you can fast forward to the track and you will get paid (and only cost as much as 1 song to copyright - $45). otherwise i seriously doubt that shit will work, people say it will, people say it wont but i wouldnt take a chance.

shit thats what i do. I just got me a copyright certificate back from the government. feels like i did something important lol.

also yeah don't put your best beats on the internet or a beat cd that your giving to people you always gotta keep the BANGER in the CUTS lol yadadamean.
I don't think you understand what I typed. And things are not as simple as fast forwarding to a track and getting paid. Again, you have a copyright as soon as you have your work in a tangible form (tangible meaning one of the things I listed or in some physical form where they can be seen, heard etc.)

What a person needs to do, which I suggested, is to register the copyright and this is what you did. One of the main reasons why you register your copyright is so you can actually collect statutory damages and not just actual damages. If you don't register, statutory damages will not be something you're rewarded. Another reason why you do it is because some courts demand you have it done before you actually file an infringement suit.

So again, you have your copyright as soon as you have the work in a fixed form. What you should do is decide how you want to register (per track/work or whole volume) and register with the u.s. copyrights office via form S.R. Don't send your music to yourself in the mail or do any form of "poor mans copyright" as these are a waste of time.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
isnt it the same price for a whole cd full of traccs as one tracc on a cd though? i thought i remember reading that on the form....
You put them all on one cd and get ONE number that will be on file. You seperate them all and go one song per cd and you get ONE number for EACH of them.

15 beats on a cd = 1 registration # = $40.

15 beats on 15 cds (one beat per cd) = 15 registration #'s = $600.

Jul 2, 2008
myspace.com
You put them all on one cd and get ONE number that will be on file. You seperate them all and go one song per cd and you get ONE number for EACH of them.

15 beats on a cd = 1 registration # = $40.

15 beats on 15 cds (one beat per cd) = 15 registration #'s = $600.
oh so its even worse then i thought.....so its obviously better to just fill up one cd....

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
same thing happend to me.....

jacka got on two of my tracks!!!

pisses me off cuz if i wanted him on a track i would go after him to get on it!!!

but like i say if you aint got the .wav file your not legit!!!

Jul 2, 2008
myspace.com
i was working with a DJ/Producer in stoccton and i had a lot of my work on his computer....a lot of beats i never tracced out but had pretty much finished.....i fell out with the dude and at 1st wasnt really trippin on what i left on his comp but soon as i moved down here to arizona last week im hearing that hes been trying to sell my beats now to people around stoccton....hes dumb if he thinks i dont know and im just waiting to hear what beats get sold cuz i got a lot of copies of them beats too....and i know his broke ass wont try to copywrite them.....

so if i find out what beats he sells and/or uses and i copywrite them can i sue him for selling them or do i have to collect damages from whoever he sells them to and uses them? he has a legit publishing and i know the name of it so does that help me at all?

Jul 2, 2008
myspace.com
yeah my new shit is always better but its the principal of the matter and i dont llike this dude or want him profiting off my work.....i dont even care about the money really...i want my credit where its due and hes passing it off like he made the beats himself....

Apr 20, 2008
www.RizzlinoInc.com
Ive been making beats for probably 10 years. To me, my 9-5 job pays the bills and will take me further in life then the music game so I don't copy right my music. As an up and coming producer, you have to encourage people to rap on your tracks... jacking them and recording them else where is a big NO NO with me.... I stopped sending out beats, unless it has my SOUND STAMP all over the fucking thing. But on the flip side, if most rappers come to me and like my shit and are talented, I usually give them the beat if they put my name out there...

Most beat makers and small time producers trying to grow should be doing the same thing... cause lets face it... we're all struggling... most of these rappers out here that I've worked are flat broke....

My philosophy for starting out in the game is to really just work with everyone and get everyone to use my beats... who gives a fuck about $50 for a beat... if the rapper is raw and will hustle the finished track for me... its worth the sacrifice... cause i'd rather make music then market and hustle it... ya dig? Plus the artists I work with always give me a shout out and I get a little shout out at the beginning of the track too (because i produced the track) .. and because he hustles it.. he hustles himself and ME! On one track I could get 200 people message me for beats... its exponential, ya dig?

Jul 2, 2008
myspace.com
yeah i mean i been doing that too thats how all my work gets out there really....i dont try to make a living off music...but i want my credit and people be trying to jacc you for your work and pass it off as thier own....thats what Vince even says hes more pissed off about the credit.....and he can be mad about the money cuz he got hot traccs plus already making bank off big names so a beat jacced from him no way profits him he dont need exposure for free when he already got a name and tracc record he can charge for....

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
can u put ur beats on a mp3 and copyright it kuz u can prolly fit like 150 song easy....
What do you mean by putting your beat on an mp3? How can you put a beat on an mp3?

so if i find out what beats he sells and/or uses and i copywrite them can i sue him for selling them or do i have to collect damages from whoever he sells them to and uses them? he has a legit publishing and i know the name of it so does that help me at all?
Listen, this is going to be the last time I type this as I know I've probably typed it hundreds of times before. YOU, yes YOU have a copyright as soon as you put your music on a cd, on a dat, on a mini disc, on tape whatever. What you're doing is REGISTERING your copyright, and this will allow you to collect punitive and actual damages. In order to collect damages you should go after him as he is the one who sold the music. Many places require a 3 month time from the time you made the work, until the time you register it for the work to be valid. In addition, many places require the copyright be REGISTERED before you can file a suit.

So again, you (anyone reading this) have a copyright as soon as the work is in a tangible form. You then register the copyright so you can protect yourself and collect punitive and actual damages in case a suit arises. Failure to do so will NOT allow you to collect punitive damages.