ATTNT PROMOTERS!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 21, 2007
If you think chargin openers to perform is a good way to do business. Your wrong. If you cant afford to throw the show dont do it. These hungry artists are already strugglin to pay bills, eat, get beats, and studio time if they aint got one. Not to mention feeding their families.

Im a promoter that in about 30-40 shows have charged once. And it bit me in the ass. Karmas a bitch! If they making good music, give em some flyers, give em some tickets to sell. BUt man 500 dollars to perform at a show you probably making 5-10000 on is a joke. The bay already struggles from bad business and no unity. Help the next man, Iv done it many times, it has bit me in the ass. But when you see someone makin money that you put on it feels good. Its about music and money not just money.

I could go on and on how other promoters hate, do bad business, and dont even know the bigger rappers out here hate em anyways. But Im not gonna rant any more, besides sayin the code "everyone eats" has disappeared.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
I see your point but I disagree. Everything on the internet can be manipulated. If a person has NO buzz or following what gives him the right to preform? Why should I book a venue, pay a big name thats gonna draw a crowd and then allow some random rapper to more than likely do a shitty performance for free? Im a believer in INVEST IN YOURSELF. Whats $500 in this industry? If you are struggling that bad where $500 is gonna destroy your whole life you shouldnt be rapping and trying to gain profits from it.

Im willing to bet the same rapper who wont spend money on performing aint paying for beats, shorting money on studio time and thinks the game will just come to him all for free!!!!

Invest in yourself or get out of the game.

Nov 21, 2007
we got big rappers not payin for beats. But a no name with talent should be given the opportunity to put in work to perform. If im gonna make 5-10000 dollars, it does absolutely nothing to my budget to charge 500. Im about good talent coming easier not making them pay to come up this is not the dope game. Ill show people how to throw a show, for nothin if they help me do what im doin. And I will never get mad when they make money off what I taught them. Its interning. So again I will never charge an artist if they got "it" then they can pass out some flyers do some work on the internet and rock wit me.

The artists that dont have the bread around them most of the time are way sicker than the rest. imo. Personal friend works 3 jobs and raps. he harder than 80% of the bay. but he dont have the money backin him so he might never get the opportunity cause some greedy ass promoter charging 500

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
I see your point but I disagree. Everything on the internet can be manipulated. If a person has NO buzz or following what gives him the right to preform? Why should I book a venue, pay a big name thats gonna draw a crowd and then allow some random rapper to more than likely do a shitty performance for free? Im a believer in INVEST IN YOURSELF. Whats $500 in this industry? If you are struggling that bad where $500 is gonna destroy your whole life you shouldnt be rapping and trying to gain profits from it.

Im willing to bet the same rapper who wont spend money on performing aint paying for beats, shorting money on studio time and thinks the game will just come to him all for free!!!!

Invest in yourself or get out of the game.
Well said.

People can't expect to be put on for nothing, you must give back something.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
When you pay to perform, you arent paying the promoter. You are paying for the exposure. You are paying to get to do your music in front of a crowd you would normally not have access to. Tech N9ne charges people around $50,000 just to be on tour with him if you are an indie act. This is a common practice. This is NOT taboo. It should not only be done more but the artists who want to take music seriously should take their shows MORE SERIOUS. And if money is on the line, hard earned money out of their own pocket then that artist will promote, and will put on his best show possible. If there is no money on the line, these rookie artists who have NO CLUE how the game works feel a sense of entitlement and dont give a shit if there is 20 people or 100 at the show. If they put money up, there is a sense of urgency to be successful.

Feb 8, 2003
It all depends on who they openning up for. if its a top name thats relevant like drake or jeezy for example then hell yeah they should pay bc theres gonna be a crowd and teh pay will be worth it for the exposure. but if its someone unknown indy nigga or a washed up rapper that no one checking for now then i dont see no reason to pay bc most the time there wont be no crowd

Sep 3, 2004
www.myspace.com
The music BUSINESS isn't fair and it's all about hard work, timing and connections. Paying to perform can increase your connections. I personally have never had an artist pay to perform because I have CONNECTIONS but I have seen it work for others. There is not a right or wrong way that works for EVERYBODY. Only a right and wrong way that works for YOU.

Jun 23, 2009
invest in yourself by putting that money towards beats, videos and features, things that will BETTER your music, not payin some BS promoter to perform! u gonna spend $500 for 10 minutes of exposure and its over, no one in the crowd gave a fuck about u or even paid attention cuz they werent there to see u!!
u pay to perform you got the game ass backwards and youre LOSING!!
work hard, invest in your music, build a fan base of your own and the shows will come...

Feb 16, 2006
invest in yourself by putting that money towards beats, videos and features, things that will BETTER your music, not payin some BS promoter to perform! u gonna spend $500 for 10 minutes of exposure and its over, no one in the crowd gave a fuck about u or even paid attention cuz they werent there to see u!!
u pay to perform you got the game ass backwards and youre LOSING!!
work hard, invest in your music, build a fan base of your own and the shows will come...
i've seen dudes pay to perform. rip the stage, literally work the crowd like they running for office, swamp the parking lot and really end up looking like bosses. and i've see dudes pay and spend more time at the door arguing with security and the promoter for a couple more passes for they homie from the hood who really only came because to see the headliner. spend all they time back stage mugging and being stand offish and acting like that little bit of dough they dropped should have everyone jocking

Dec 26, 2004
www.slapmaster.net
Well said.

People can't expect to be put on for nothing, you must give back something.
no hes saying that these artist still have to sell there tickets to be on (If they dont sell the tickets then have to come up with the $) and probably wont be called back since they showed they didnt have enough hustle and fan base to sell the tickets...just dont have to be charged a extra fee on top of that. I say if a artist no matter how good they are, are able to get the tickets off then what does it hurt ??? Its about packing a place and you would be surprised the followings some people have even if you have never heard of them. Dutch is also right that there is a saturation and it could weed some people out but not many.

i could be wrong though...just a assumption

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
Paying $500 for a 2-3 song set that is an hour before the headliner goes on is completely retarded.

Take that same $500, make a good song, shoot a decent video and spend whatever money may be left on ad space online. The cost of beats, studio and videos is so low now that it's highly possible to accomplish this AND more people would get a chance to enjoy your music. No one really gives a fuck about the opening act at an Andre Nickatina concert.

This isn't 1998, no one is going to shows to find new artists to listen to.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
no hes saying that these artist still have to sell there tickets to be on (If they dont sell the tickets then have to come up with the $) and probably wont be called back since they showed they didnt have enough hustle and fan base to sell the tickets...just dont have to be charged a extra fee on top of that. I say if a artist no matter how good they are, are able to get the tickets off then what does it hurt ??? Its about packing a place and you would be surprised the followings some people have even if you have never heard of them. Dutch is also right that there is a saturation and it could weed some people out but not many.

i could be wrong though...just a assumption
OP needs to elaborate on what happened to him, so we can see the entire story. It was very vague.

Dec 12, 2008
Roseville , Ca.
Paying $500 for a 2-3 song set that is an hour before the headliner goes on is completely retarded.

Take that same $500, make a good song, shoot a decent video and spend whatever money may be left on ad space online. The cost of beats, studio and videos is so low now that it's highly possible to accomplish this AND more people would get a chance to enjoy your music. No one really gives a fuck about the opening act at an Andre Nickatina concert.

This isn't 1998, no one is going to shows to find new artists to listen to.
I agree the lineup for that Taj-He-Spitz show is dope & solid but many will miss the openers & they are probably the most experienced live acts . We used to show up to a Mac Dre show to hear Coolio / Dubee / Then Dre & see all perform . Same w/ E-40 . All this was early 2000 late 90's when rap shows were fun & they actually did a SHOW . Entertained us for hours , not just some songs standing there not moving .