Attention Walmart Shoppers: Black People Must Leave

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 10, 2006

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. – A Walmart store announcement ordering black people to leave brought chagrin and apologies Wednesday from leaders of the company, which has built a fragile trust among minority communities.
A male voice came over the public-address system Sunday evening at a store in Washington Township, in southern New Jersey, and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."
Shoppers in the store at the time said a manager quickly got on the public-address system and apologized for the remark. And while it was unclear whether a rogue patron or an employee was responsible for the comment, many customers expressed their anger to store management.
"I want to know why such statements are being made, because it flies in the face of what we teach our children about tolerance for all," said Sheila Ellington, who was in the store at the time with a friend. "If this was meant to be a prank, there's only one person laughing, and it's not either one of us."
Ellington, of Monroe, and her friend Patricia Covington said they plan to boycott the retailer until they're assured the issue has been addressed so it doesn't happen again.
The pair said they were stunned when they heard the announcement and initially believed they had misheard it. But once the words sank in, they grew angry.
"I depended on Walmart for all my needs, because the store has pretty much everything you could want," Covington said. "But until this issue is addressed in a way I'm comfortable with, I can't walk through those doors again."
Officials with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., said that the announcement was "unacceptable" and that they're trying to determine who made it and how it happened.
"We are just as appalled by this incident as our customers," the company said in a statement. "Whoever did this is just wrong and acted in an inappropriate manner. Clearly, this is completely unacceptable to us and to our customers."
This is not the first time the retailer has faced such problems.
There have been several past instances of black customers claiming they were treated unfairly at Walmart stores, and the company faced lawsuits alleging that women were passed over in favor of men for pay raises and promotions.
In February 2009, the retailer paid $17.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit alleging racial discrimination in its hiring of truck drivers.
And the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued the company in May 2009, claiming some Hispanic employees at a Sam's Club subsidiary in California were subjected to a hostile work environment. That suit alleges managers failed to stop repeated verbal harassment, including the use of derogatory words, against employees of Mexican descent.
However, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has said the company has worked hard in recent years to show it cares about diversity.
Bill Mitchell, a former Walmart employee who was shopping Wednesday at the store, said that he was saddened to hear about the announcement but that "as a black man, I've heard worse things."
As customer Sharon Osbourne, of Williamstown, left the store Wednesday, she called the announcement "appalling, stupid and sad."

Mar 16, 2005
Im mexican and if they woulda said that about mexicans and I knew it was a joke Id laugh my ass off
100% agree!!!

The only ones who want to make an issue of it are looking for signs of racism anywhere.

Of course walmart didnt want them out, of course it was a prank played without managements consent......but saying that aloud wouldnt support thier agenda and getting the news out.

Common sense is so fucking gone these days its insane.

they could go as far as saying all brown skins with piercings and tattoos that wear glasses please leave...guess what I would still laugh! And if it were true you know what, I would still leave and laugh because there are other places that want my money...but no of course some in this world would rather force a racial issue instead.

Feb 7, 2006
100% agree!!!

The only ones who want to make an issue of it are looking for signs of racism anywhere.

Of course walmart didnt want them out, of course it was a prank played without managements consent......but saying that aloud wouldnt support thier agenda and getting the news out.

Common sense is so fucking gone these days its insane.

they could go as far as saying all brown skins with piercings and tattoos that wear glasses please leave...guess what I would still laugh! And if it were true you know what, I would still leave and laugh because there are other places that want my money...but no of course some in this world would rather force a racial issue instead.
just cuz you would shake it off doesn't mean everyone has to or that they are stupid. Some people would let mufuckas sock they ass up and turn the other cheek on some jesus shit, I wouldn't and I hope those that would wouldn't be like look at that dude he's so violent he could've shook that off.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
shit if they woulda said that about mexicans i woulda still been on it. cuz thats the only people that really be in walmart this close to the border. i damn near would expect a riot to pop off. tamale lady dont play mane.

i dunno that racism shit aint whats up out here
i aint never been to joisey so i dont know how they are out there

Mar 16, 2005
just cuz you would shake it off doesn't mean everyone has to or that they are stupid. Some people would let mufuckas sock they ass up and turn the other cheek on some jesus shit, I wouldn't and I hope those that would wouldn't be like look at that dude he's so violent he could've shook that off.
in this case yes it does mean they are stupid.

they are boycotting walmart and bringing it to national attention for something walmart (as a company) obviouisly didnt condone.

and this case vs someone shaking off a vilent behaviour are 2 different situations...the violnet person is just that, where as this was a joke by 1 person but they are taking it out on a company as a whole who had nothing to do with it.

Feb 7, 2006
Then excuse me, I thought your point was that they shouldn't be offended or take action if some says some racist shit because you wouldn't.

Feb 7, 2006
well if you're saying they are going after walmart and not other human beings then i don't see how they could be employing "reverse racism."

Mar 16, 2005
well if you're saying they are going after walmart and not other human beings then i don't see how they could be employing "reverse racism."
because they are trying to say walmart is racist with his incident when thats not the case in this incident. Again this is a case of trying to find racism that isnt there

Feb 7, 2006
that's not reverse racism. Wal-mart although they have the rights of a person are not a human being, therefore not belonging to a race. Wishful thinking on their part, perhaps.