At what age is it too late to start a rap career?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002
Granted, there are a lot of OG's still releasing material and respectfully, so. I believe if you still got it, keep bringing it. I mean, if they are established rap artist, be it mainstream or underground and you been a fan since back in the day, and you've seen this person since their 20's and now they are in their late 30's to early 40's. I view it as they are grandfathered (pardon the pun) in and are embedded into the game.

Today, in this day and age, what age is it too late to start a rap career?

recklessofgilaz

Im Gay until I log back in
Oct 30, 2008
Gilaz with Track Killa and Vince
It’s a young mans game if you are 40 + then it’s too late to start a rap career. If you started when you were 20 or in your teens and did good and went MIA for a while and trying to come back in your 30s or 40’s then it’s cool but is you are brand new to the game and are 40 pushing 50, then stop. Unless your skills are incredible, there’s no chance. But i guess there are exceptions. It’s all image and what you bring to the table but 9 times outta 10 it won’t work. My 2 cents

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Define what you mean by "starting a rap career."

career
noun
noun: career; plural noun: careers
1. an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life and with opportunities for progress.

If "starting a rap career" doesn't meet that definition then it isn't a career at all.

With that said, age don't matter if you eatin, chow down.

Last edited:
May 16, 2002
Define what you mean by "starting a rap career."

career
noun
noun: career; plural noun: careers
1. an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life and with opportunities for progress.

If "starting a rap career" doesn't meet that definition then it isn't a career at all.

With that said, age don't matter if you eatin, chow down.

Exactly my point, yet, if you're older and just starting out, nine out of ten the mentality is 15 to 20 years behind. The majority of artist thought they were going to blow up when they dropped their first album. The whole staying consistent / flood the market mentality. Consistent and flood the market for who? If nobody is even buying your albums and if they are, you are not selling outside of your homies, who you end up giving a free copy to so they can "promote". And your relatives are the only ones in front of the stage when you perform at a hole in the wall show LMAO!

That's the real life of an underground artist and the dues he or she pays. And it takes a considerable amount of time to build yourself as an artist and build a fan base be it in the street or social media.

So, in my humble opinion, if you are in your thirties or older, your time has passed to start being an artist.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Exactly my point, yet, if you're older and just starting out, nine out of ten the mentality is 15 to 20 years behind. The majority of artist thought they were going to blow up when they dropped their first album. The whole staying consistent / flood the market mentality. Consistent and flood the market for who? If nobody is even buying your albums and if they are, you are not selling outside of your homies, who you end up giving a free copy to so they can "promote". And your relatives are the only ones in front of the stage when you perform at a hole in the wall show LMAO!

That's the real life of an underground artist and the dues he or she pays. And it takes a considerable amount of time to build yourself as an artist and build a fan base be it in the street or social media.

So, in my humble opinion, if you are in your thirties or older, your time has passed to start being an artist.
No doubt. I think it should be looked at similar to any career though, in the sense that a person has to look in the mirror and ask if they are doing everything possible to advance. Any of us that either been a part of the game or been around those that are or have know paying dues is part of it for 99.9%. My question is if you are just a rapper, why haven't you moved to the production side and or compositions? To me that's where the better money is at. Cats is making music for tv, commercials and movies and alot of that is just music no lyrics.

I think YouTube got cats got..... Too many of standing still instead of getting that bread....

Last thing though, if we are calling them artists then this isn't about a career per se, it is about the art.

I'm not really into art though so I say either use it to clean that money or gtfo the way

Last edited:
May 16, 2002
No doubt. I think it should be looked at similar to any career though, in the sense that a person has to look in the mirror and ask if they are doing everything possible to advance. Any of us that either been a part of the game or been around those that are or have know paying dues is part of it for 99.9%. My question is if you are just a rapper, why haven't you moved to the production side and or compositions? To me that's where the better money is at. Cats is making music for tv, commercials and movies and alot of that is just music no lyrics.

I think YouTube got cats got..... Too many of standing still instead of getting that bread....

Last thing though, if we are calling them artists then this isn't about a career per se, it is about the art.

I'm not really into art though so I say either use it to clean that money or gtfo the way

I agree 110%.

However, 75% of underground rappers don't have what it takes in any musical department.

recklessofgilaz

Im Gay until I log back in
Oct 30, 2008
Gilaz with Track Killa and Vince

That’s a good point bro