AT&T Data Plan Changes

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 23, 2009
June 2 (Bloomberg) -- AT&T Inc., the largest U.S. phone company, is offering new wireless data plans as it struggles to meet surging demand for data-hungry devices like Apple Inc.’s iPhone on its network.
AT&T will offer a basic 200-megabyte plan for $15 a month, and a 2-gigabyte package at $25 that includes 10 times as much data, the Dallas-based company said in a statement today. The 2- gigabyte plan replaces an existing $29.99 plan for iPad customers, which has no limit on data usage.
AT&T wireless chief Ralph de la Vega has said the carrier is battling congestion in New York and San Francisco as a surge in smartphone use has clogged its network. Customers who use the iPhone, which is sold exclusively through AT&T in the U.S., consume seven times the bandwidth of typical mobile phones, according to Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. in New York.
The new plans will be available June 7. AT&T also will allow customers to connect smartphones to laptops and other devices for wireless Internet connections, an approach known as tethering. The service costs $20 a month on top of the wireless plan.
AT&T climbed 3 cents to $24.33 yesterday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The shares had dropped 13 percent this year before today.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-02/at-t-unveils-data-plans-to-help-manage-iphone-demand-update1-.html

1) A $15 monthly plan for 200 megabytes of data. If you go over that allotment, you will pay $15 for every additional 200 MB of data used.

2) Or $25 for 2 gigabytes of data. If you go over, you'll end up paying $10 for each additional gigabyte.

Existing smart phone customers can renew their unlimited $30 data plans

Dec 9, 2005
Eh, AT&T service sucks anyways. I just switched back to Sprint, and I never have any dropped calls or stupid "SOS" signals on here.

Got the Crackberry Bold 9650. Bye Bye trackball. Hello trackpad.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100602/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2354

That article breaks it down a little more. But still bullshit, 20 minutes of streaming video is nothing.

DataPlus: A $15-a-month option that offers 200MB of monthly data, good for (as AT&T puts it) 1,000 e-mails without attachments, plus 150 messages with attachments, plus 400 Web pages, plus about 20 minutes of streaming video. If you crack the 200MB monthly cap, you get another 200MB for $15.

May 11, 2002
yeah fuck that it wouldn't be worth it.

If you go into Canada they rape the shit out of you in roaming charges. Something like every 10 mb is $15 bucks.

ESFCE

Sicc OG
Dec 4, 2004
This is only in effect for new customers....for existing folks you keep your unlimited plan, even if you upgrade phones.

But it's not as little as you think...My average data usage is at 200MB a month...and the times I did go over was when I tethered (not the official way)

Aint like folks are downloading programs or movies on their phones....but these limits do suck.

Tiered data plans will be normal throughout every carrier soon..Verizon has talked about implementing it.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
I have used 388mb in 6 days of my new billing cycle, and that is because I have not really been messing with my phone as usual. Sucks for ATT android users who do the free tethering..

ESFCE

Sicc OG
Dec 4, 2004
As long as you dont switch your plan to one of the new ones, you can still tether... just not officially through AT&T's offered tethering.

I tether with MyWi which is a jailbreak app...I was able to watch UFC over the weekend thanks to it...

but anyone who wants to buy the official tether service from AT&T will be forced to switch to one of these new plans....

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
I was just talking about this with my mom because she has an iPhone and racked up a decent size bill while we were in mexico just because she was trying to access a map on google. She said she used 2gb in her last billing cycle and my brother and sister used 1gb, I don't see how anyone can have the 200mb plan without going over unless they hardly use the phone for what it is meant to do. And the people who are the biggest users will probably just keep the plan they have now so who knows if it will actually help the network.

Mar 5, 2007
I've averaged like 6GB am month for the past year. I use Pandora alot and YouTube. These data plan changes are no bueno for me. So I got a year left on my contract, so when the contract ends in a year can I renew it and still keep the unlimited plan since I'm an existing customer?

If not then I'll swith companies when contract is up, wonder if any other carriers will be carrying iPhone by then. I hope no other carries follow suit and drop their unlimited data plans.