Asian weekly's "Why I Hate Blacks" column blasted

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 6, 2006
http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California/CA_Racist_Column_276874C.shtml
By TERENCE CHEA

The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO

An editor of a weekly newspaper calling itself "The Voice of Asian America" apologized after Asian-American and city leaders condemned a column titled "Why I Hate Blacks."

In the piece, which appeared in the Feb. 23 edition of San Francisco-based AsianWeek, contributor Kenneth Eng lists reasons why he supports discrimination against blacks including because "they are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

Leaders at the Asian American Justice Center, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Coalition for Asian Pacific Americans and other groups are circulating a petition denouncing the column as "irresponsible journalism, blatantly racist, replete with stereotypes, and deeply hurtful to African Americans."

Ted Fang, AsianWeek's editor-at-large, called the decision to publish Eng's piece a "mistake" and said the newspaper planned to hold a news conference with NAACP leaders in San Francisco on Wednesday to discuss how the Asian and black communities "can be different and yet get along and work together."

"The newspaper is sorry that this got published, and I am personally sorry that this got published," Fang told The Associated Press. "The views in that opinion piece do not in any way reflect the views of AsianWeek."

The paper, with a circulation of 48,505, plans to review its policies to "understand how this happened and make sure it doesn't happen again," he added.

Fang's family publishes AsianWeek, along with a local newspaper called the Independent, and owned the San Francisco Examiner between 2000 and 2004.

The petition being circulated by Asian-American groups calls on AsianWeek to cut ties with Eng, issue an apology, print an editorial refuting the column, and fire or demote the editors who published it.

"It certainly does not speak for the vast majority of Asian Americans," Stewart Kwoh, who heads the Asian Pacific American Legal Center in Los Angeles, said Tuesday. "This kind of inflammatory (column) really can hurt and damage relations with the broader African-American community."

Kenneth Eng, who has described himself as an "Asian Supremacist," has written several columns for AsianWeek since November, including pieces titled "Proof That Whites Inherently Hate Us" and "Why I Hate Asians."

Eng is in his early 20s and a graduate of New York University, according to a biography on a Web site promoting his science fiction writing.

A telephone listing for Eng could not immediately be located.

Mayor Gavin Newsom said in a statement that the column had "no place in a city that is known around the world for civil rights and equality for all people. I am deeply concerned, both for the opinions expressed in the column and the fact that these opinions were published in a local newspaper."

Supervisor Sophie Maxwell, one of the city's top black officials, has co-sponsored a city resolution condemning the article and AsianWeek's decision to publish it. But she doesn't believe Eng's column will hurt relations between blacks and Asians in San Francisco.

"This man clearly is very ignorant of African-American history and his own history, and he's very angry," said Maxwell, who represents a district with large black and Asian populations.

Published: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 00:42 PST

Dec 9, 2005
Okay, so it wasn't a big deal when he wrote the Why I Hate Asians article, but its an outrage when he does the very same article, only this time pertaining to blacks.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
old asian ladies do get it bad in the city tho, i seen 3 black high schoolers just bombing on this old asian lady at the bus stop, she was on her cellphone possibly trying to call the police or her buff chinese uncle...just getting wailed on with the phone at her ear....all fallin in the mud and shit,..of course i didnt do shit because it was entertaining

sometimes the differences between cultures and the tensions it causes makes me sad and i wish we were more respectful of other people.

but telling a person speaking chinese "FUCK YO CHING CHONG, NIGGA" is possibly one of the funniest things that can be done in life.

ah well...my asian girlfriend dont hate me..matter fact, technically, she has loved me long time..well oh boy

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
Gas One said:
old asian ladies do get it bad in the city tho, i seen 3 black high schoolers just bombing on this old asian lady at the bus stop, she was on her cellphone possibly trying to call the police or her buff chinese uncle...just getting wailed on with the phone at her ear....all fallin in the mud and shit,..of course i didnt do shit because it was entertaining

sometimes the differences between cultures and the tensions it causes makes me sad and i wish we were more respectful of other people.

but telling a person speaking chinese "FUCK YO CHING CHONG, NIGGA" is possibly one of the funniest things that can be done in life.

ah well...my asian girlfriend dont hate me..matter fact, technically, she has loved me long time..well oh boy

hahahahahahaha

Aug 6, 2006
MOREBASS said:
Okay, so it wasn't a big deal when he wrote the Why I Hate Asians article, but its an outrage when he does the very same article, only this time pertaining to blacks.
^Funny, that's exactly the same thing he said in his "Why Whites Hate Us" article (yea, I read it).. You sure that ain't you Mr. Eng?

LAZYBOY408 said:
they cry a lot ^^

Who blacks? You (some dork in Sunnyvale) are qualified to speak for the entire black community now? Not to mention that you're a self proclaimed "gangster" as it indicates under your avatar? You wanna-be wigger, you have no credibility. Please don't get me started, it's an easy transition for me to get ignorant, especially on siccness. Obviously Eng and who ever supports him are the ones doing the crying, how many hate articles or ads do you see on BET, TV1, or any black magazine outlets? None, exactly, the majority of African Americans (And Americans in general) aren't concerned with these bull shit 19th century ideologies, people like you and Eng are stuck in the past and need to move on and get a life, because worrying about blacks all day is a waste.

Dec 9, 2005
ParkBoyz said:
^Funny, that's exactly the same thing he said in his "Why Whites Hate Us" article (yea, I read it).. You sure that ain't you Mr. Eng?

I don't understand what you're saying. I was saying that it wasn't an issue when he did the Why I Hate Whites & Why I Hate Asians articles...but now that he does one pertaining to blacks, its outrageous !

Bullshit. The dude is entitled to his opinion...and his article is his opinion based on his experiences.

Dec 9, 2005
Heres the article...

Here is a list of reasons why we should discriminate against blacks, starting from the most obvious down to the least obvious:

• Blacks hate us. Every Asian who has ever come across them knows that they take almost every opportunity to hurl racist remarks at us.

In my experience, I would say about 90 percent of blacks I have met, regardless of age or environment, poke fun at the very sight of an Asian. Furthermore, their activity in the media proves their hatred: Rush Hour, Exit Wounds, Hot 97, etc.

• Contrary to media depictions, I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years. It's unbelievable that it took them that long to fight back.

On the other hand, we slaughtered the Russians in the Japanese-Russo War.

• Blacks are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that so many of them, including Reverend Al Sharpton, tend to be Christians.

Yet, at the same time, they spend much of their time whining about how much they hate "the whites that oppressed them."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Christianity the religion that the whites forced upon them?

• Blacks don't get it. I know it's a blunt and crass comment, but it's true. When I was in high school, I recall a class debate in which one half of the class was chosen to defend black slavery and the other half was chosen to defend liberation.

Disturbingly, blacks on the prior side viciously defended slavery as well as Christianity. They say if you don't study history, you're condemned to repeat it.

In high school, I only remember one black student ever attending any of my honors and AP courses. And that student was caught cheating.

It is rather troubling that they are treated as heroes, but then again, whites will do anything to defend them.

Aug 6, 2006
MOREBASS said:
I don't understand what you're saying. I was saying that it wasn't an issue when he did the Why I Hate Whites & Why I Hate Asians articles...but now that he does one pertaining to blacks, its outrageous !

Bullshit. The dude is entitled to his opinion...and his article is his opinion based on his experiences.
Did you even read the article you fucking Nazi? It's crazy how you losers sign up to hip hop message boards to celebrate "Black" art and culture, and then shit on black people at the first given opportunity.. What kind of backwards shit is that? He said that blacks should still effectively be discriminated against because they're the only race to be enslaved for 300 years. Even if that was a legitimate justification for discrimination, I've never been enslaved! Is that truly a defendable opinion? Maybe for closet racists, but not for smart people. What experiences are you referring to?

Aug 6, 2006
MOREBASS said:
Heres the article...
What's your point, that's just a bunch of babble from an unqualified hoodlum who's around the same age as me.. Why is that article any more important than someone's opinion on siccness? It's unfounded bullshit that doesn't deserve to be publicized.

Dec 9, 2005
Of course I read it you little crybaby bitch. I posted it.

You sidestepped my only question...

Why wasn't this a big deal when he did the other articles....?

And all I was saying about these just being his opinions was just that...those were his opinions based on his experiences. Nothing more. You're still a fag tho.