ARE YOU A REAL PRODUCER

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 17, 2009
www.twitter.com
a producer is not someone who makes the underlying music on a song (i.e. the beat).... only in the wacky world of hip hop do people get this shit confused... and that's because most people who listen to hip hop are idiots

so yes, just because you have fruity loops (or an MPC for that matter)... does not make you a producer

::
Amen.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
you can tell a producer from a beat maker by the knowledge of his craft.

even if a producer dosent mix and master his own beat, he has knowledge of it.

heres the difference. a beat maker might make a beat but he'll need other people to do other things like come through and do a bass line, a dj to do scratches, he might need an engineer to clear his shit up and this and that

a beatmakers knows what he uses well and that is it. example. youre good at sampling so you sample.

a producer is trained well enough that he dosent have to rely on other people to make his shit what it is, hence the produce part.

producers usually have stepped outside of rap and have some sort of job in music that parellels other styles of music

they tend to understand music theory and can read music and play it, they might know piano just because they love music

they didnt just pick up some shit and start tappin out beats

they didnt sample donald byrd and put drums over the hook and add a few sounds and a few more loops and call that a beat

they approach the creation of the music and its upbuild completely different. beatmakers throw things together and see how it works. producers create a skeleton and fill it in until its what they envisioned. its sorta the difference between an artist and someone who draws for fun.

jay dilla, was able to toggle between beatmaker and producer when he wanted to. he produced a number of things (tribe called quest: find a way), but 'donuts' is what i would consider a beat tape, what was on it was beats. he sampled shit, looped it, on a hospital bed, and the beats were like a minute long. he did that on purpose to be on some raw shit and that shows you the two differences.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.

what i use for sampling
no dont go out and try to find one cuz i posted it
sissies

i also got a

on some hilarious shit

mpcs are cool but i just like using different shit
(when i do make beats, which isnt lately)

i aint producin shit, i could, but i dont wanna
i also play a few instruments
i think im back to beatmaking this summer