Anyone Collect Comic Books Here?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2002
Or is it just me?

Been collecting since the late 80s. Took a break after the 90s bubble bust, got back into it over a year ago. Going strong...

Got about 12 on my pull list right now, plus always grabbing back issues.
Current List:
Book of Death
Civil War
Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars
Future Imperfect
Justice League of America
Planet Hulk
Secret Wars
Secret Wars 2099
Secret Wars Journal
Secret Wars Ultimate End
Suiciders
Thor
Thors

Anyone else?
Figured people would jump back in since Marvel movies got big but it doesn't seem to have happened.

DaGrimProphet

English Gentleman
Dec 23, 2014
UK
I never really been into comic books myself, but I know some people who are. Did you see that copy of Action Comics that sold for over $3 million on ebay a while back?

May 6, 2002
Ya, the CGC graded 9.0 Action Comics #1
That's crazy. For sure to be worth double (possibly triple) that in the next 30 years.

You should get into it. Story lines and artist work have gotten much better over the decades. Plus the quality of the paper as well. The price has gone up though and a lot of people are moving to digital subscriptions. I still buy the paper though.

DaGrimProphet

English Gentleman
Dec 23, 2014
UK
Yeah I know there are a lot of specific comics that are worth a lot of money for various reasons. The recalled comics are worth the most if my memory serves me right. I'm pretty sure there was a DC comic that got recalled for featuring a 1930s advertisement for a Marvel douche from back before they made comics, so they never sent that issue out and only like 6 survive. You know what I'm talking about?

But I'm more into collecting CDs right now, I don't have the money now for both lol. I got some real rare CDs I'm proud of and I'm looking to expand the collection when I get some more £££. I think when I get a real job I'll look for another hobby to spend my money and time on, I'll look into comic book collecting.

EDIT: just googled it and I'm correct about Marvel making douches before they made comics. Still can't find the DC comic though...

EDIT #2: Found it. It's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen #5. Turns out it's not as rare as I thought.

Last edited:
May 6, 2002
Recalls always go up.
Some foil copies from the 90s were printed in the wrong color, or have a letter missing, and people pay a nice premium for those. Any misprint gets a lot of attention. I'm not really into those though.

Then others go up just for having certain things in tact. For example I have an NM copy of ASM 238 (First Apperance of Hobgoblin) with the tattoo still in tact. There is a little envelope in the middle attached the the comic and if you rip it open it has a stick on tattoo in there. Mine is still sealed. Little things like that make it worth 4 times more.

CD's. I used to collect CD's. Got rid of them and went digital.
CD's will be like records one day...

Hopefully comics increase their value after the digital wave takes over. I believe they will...

DaGrimProphet

English Gentleman
Dec 23, 2014
UK
Comics have always been collectible, a lot of records too. I'm pretty sure trading cards also have a huge collector's market. When I was a young kid Dr Who was huge in this country and everybody was collecting the trading cards, myself included. There was one ultra rare card in 1 in 100,000 packs called Super Rose, which made all other cards stats 999,999,999. At the time when it was still in print it was selling for £500-£7500 (at the time that was about $1,000-$1,500). Unfortunately, I was a dumb little fucker who wanted to hold on to it because it made me win every game. Then when the Dr Who craze was over it became worthless. Now I can't get rid of the damn card and I still got it in case I find a collector willing to spend a decent amount on it. You know anyone into collecting trading cards or Dr Who/sci-fi memorabilia?

Jun 11, 2004
What's a legit comic pricing website? I want to see what I'm workin with. I thought all comics are basically worthless now except for just a few. Shit I got xmen and xforce #1 of both series that came out in the early 90s. Got all the issues where superman died (even though that fucker came back as like 4 different people). Even got the marvel swimsuit issue. Comic book titties ftw

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Stopped back in the mid 90's right after Age of Apocalypse. Got back in to graphic novels like 2 years ago and comic books at the end of last year when I started a few series that were brand new with issue #1's

I started these series at number 1 last year.

Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier
Deathstroke
Deathlok
Lobo
Harley Quinn

I've been wanting to get back in to stuff like X-Men and Avengers, but I have some kind of OCD where I can't just jump in to the middle of a story and I have no idea where to start lol

May 6, 2002
What's a legit comic pricing website?
The days of beckets, wizard, hero, etc. are over.
You really just need to see what people are willing to pay for it. The people dictate that now, not guides.

Mycomicshop.com is a place to start. Prices are high but it gives you an idea since multiple people are posting multiple grades of the same comic.

Ebay is really the best place to give you a feel of what your comic is worth, because at the very least they will go for that price...