anybody else ever do this?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 11, 2005
you guys prolly do if you DJ or whatever, but do you guys ever try to put accapellas over your own beats?? kinda like your own song? i aint good at counting BPM's so its a bitch for me

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
supavillain said:
you guys prolly do if you DJ or whatever, but do you guys ever try to put accapellas over your own beats?? kinda like your own song? i aint good at counting BPM's so its a bitch for me
yeah ive tried doing that. at first the bpm thing was my biggest problem. but finding the right beat to put to the acapella is even harder...the beats kinda have to have the same flow as the original for it to sound good.

Dec 9, 2005
Yeah, thats pretty much all I do. I'll either have an acapella in mind while I'm making the beat, or I'll take the more creative route and try to build a beat around a 'pella and put my own twist on it.

Mar 22, 2004
I actually do this all the time, I've done this for peoples albums that have recorded tracks to beats that were sold already. So I make a new beat around the acapella that they don't have the tempo to.
What I do, Get the original song with the beat in it, load it in Pro Tools, play it, tap my "tap Tempo" button on the mpc as it plays to get a general area, then I'll actually record the click into pro tools over the orig. beat until i get it right on , usually takes about 5-10 minutes. Works 9 out of 10 times. Then I'll make a generic drum pattern with my new tempo and adjust accordingly, sometimes you have to keep a similar drum pattern for the vocals to sit right. Once I got the tempo locked, I'll record in Pro Tools over the acapella, and mess around live with certain sounds to see what fits nice.
I do this almost every other week for people that want new tracks to old beats, or tracks to beats that were sold already. The song i got on the new Baby Bash album (on J Records) lol, was an acapella remake I didn't have the tempo to, so it's a good idea to start mastering this process!

Dec 9, 2005
Hmm...the BPM's has never really been a problem for me...but it could be because I DJ as well. But the way I do it is...( it helps a bunch if you've heard the original song...but not neccessary ) I'll just count the beats, or where they should be, since we're talking about 'pellas... for 15 seconds, and then multiply by 4.

May 1, 2003
supavillain said:
Check this program out:
http://www.mixmeister.com/

I used it a few times. Set my sampler to what it said the BPM was and it was off only by 0.2 BPM... other times...it was dead on.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
Vince V. said:
I actually do this all the time, I've done this for peoples albums that have recorded tracks to beats that were sold already. So I make a new beat around the acapella that they don't have the tempo to.
What I do, Get the original song with the beat in it, load it in Pro Tools, play it, tap my "tap Tempo" button on the mpc as it plays to get a general area, then I'll actually record the click into pro tools over the orig. beat until i get it right on , usually takes about 5-10 minutes. Works 9 out of 10 times. Then I'll make a generic drum pattern with my new tempo and adjust accordingly, sometimes you have to keep a similar drum pattern for the vocals to sit right. Once I got the tempo locked, I'll record in Pro Tools over the acapella, and mess around live with certain sounds to see what fits nice.
I do this almost every other week for people that want new tracks to old beats, or tracks to beats that were sold already. The song i got on the new Baby Bash album (on J Records) lol, was an acapella remake I didn't have the tempo to, so it's a good idea to start mastering this process!
I do sorta the same. I load a cracked copy of acid pro, and use the beat mapper it'll give you the exact bpm of the track... then ill fire up a beat on my motif, make somthing that fits. Then match up the accapella, new beat and old song in pro tools... then just erase the orginal track, and leaves you a new beat, with a on tempo accapella.

props for getting a Baby Bash credit, and on J Records