Any of you play Guitar?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
yeah and use a heavy gauge pick. Medium and light gauge picks tend to bend. What you want is picking accuracy and only a heavy gauge pick (the dunlop tortoise ones are good) will allow you to practice this skill.

Also don't play on distortion lol. I know it sounds cool but focus on a good clear tone. Distortion can be added and refined later. Oh and don't go crazy with the whammy bar. It'll shorten the string life and mess up the tuning each time you try it.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
yeah i dont intend on ever using the whammy bar to be honest lol

I got some dunlop picks too. currently learning how to play a horse wit no jname, I'm kind of getting it lol but my fingers are fat and keep fucking up the chords :/

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
if you want to start playing chords you don't have to learn the "full" chord.

ex.

in the key of C major

you can start making songs as easy as using two chords

first chord is

x
x
x

second chord is

(0)
x
x

To understand what I just wrote just imagine the six lines of numbers as strings. The first line indicates the skinniest string, the top E string, the last line refers to the sixth string, or the low e string.

The numbers themselves indicate the frets that you have to fret. So in the first chord the 0 on the top line means you don't fret anything on the first string; you just need to pluck the string. However, the second line of the first chord means you have to fret the first fret on the second string.

The "x's" mean that you don't play those strings. So for both of these chords you don't have to play the bottom three strings ie keep the 4,5, and 6 strings completely muted. This can be achieved by two means.

1. You can just not pick them. Start your strum on the third string and head towards the first string.
2. You can palm mute the 4, 5, and 6th strings. This is harder to do so just stick with the first method for now.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

once you know how to play them you can make a song.

First Chord--Second Chord--first chord--second chord--and then end with the first chord in an artistic way lol..you can use your hand to give the bridge a "whammy" effect.

I hope this made sense.

my bad if I gave you a mundane lesson, but you can do this with any chord. All you need is three notes to make a regular chord. Not every string has to be sounding.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
yeah i dont intend on ever using the whammy bar to be honest lol

I got some dunlop picks too. currently learning how to play a horse wit no jname, I'm kind of getting it lol but my fingers are fat and keep fucking up the chords :/
don't worry about having fat fingers lol.

this guys hella fat

but he's amazing.....,

Just don't wrap your thumb around the neck. Always keep it behind the neck. Place it so that if you're looking into a mirror you won't see any trace of your thumb sticking out. This will give you optimum finger placement. Some people can manage with the thumb around the neck but it really puts a strain on your hand.

Basically what i'm suggesting is to learn the classical position. Believe me it's the best position for guitar playing imo. I play electric now but I still use classical playing practices.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
thanks man.
im finding it hard to keep my thumb still and when im playing an A minor then D6 I think, the bottom bit of my fat pointer finger touches the bottom E string and fucks up the strum

I'm on this video

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
just start out trying easier chords. I remember learning this progression first:

D A G D

The trick is to not lift fingers from the strings if it's possible to just slide them to a lower or higher fret.

In the progression that I gave you right there, when you go from the D to the A7 (or vice versa) you need to keep the first finger on the 2nd fret of the 3rd string without lifting it up. This will "guide" your other fingers into place.

If there are no common tones between the chords try to find the shortest way to get to the next chord and practice it slowly and perfectly. If you practice it wrong, it's like not practicing it at all.

The A chord and the F chord shapes are the hardest to sound so don't worry if you can't do it right away. Your fingers will get used to the movements.

Also try this progression:

Dm Dm/F C G

Dm/F is really simple to pull off. All you do is keep the Dm shape and (assuming you used your 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers to form the Dm chord) then fret the F (4th string 3rd fret). For the G chord you don't need to fret the G on the first string just don't play the first string at all. The rest is straight forward and it sounds really cool.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
^^really good advice man, I appreciate it.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my tuner at the moment. I think I need to buy a decent one

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
If you have an iphone the best tuner you can get is called cleartune. It's really accurate. For a hardware tuner you would be best off with the korg ga-30. The fender tuners that come with the startup packs suck horribly.

Also, you should learn how to do relative tuning via the 5th fret rule.

This will allow you to play in tune with only yourself. However if you start to jam out to a cd or with someone you'll notice that your guitar is out of tune RELATIVE to the other guitar.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
^^that vide oisnt working right it keeps stopping

I just bought a new tuner and I'm 5 minutes away from going to the shop and breaking it over the guys face. its an Ashton CT150 chromatic tuner, it take forever to the actual tuner to pick up notes and sometimes it just goes blank. I tried auto mode, I managed to get about 3 right. but then when I play them again it gets out of tune........

so from the top to the bottom

E - the low noise
B - bit lower
G -
D -
A - high pitched
E - highest pitch

correct right?

Cause the second one doesnt fucking register.

Apr 25, 2002
so from the top to the bottom

E - the low noise
B - bit lower
G -
D -
A - high pitched
E - highest pitch

correct right?

Cause the second one doesnt fucking register.
Uhhhh....you have that backwards dude....if i'm reading that right you are tuning your guitar upside down.....

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
yup I figured that lol

finally got decent tuner though

I learnt a bit from sanitarium, sounds sick!

May 16, 2002
carnage has given you some sound advice already, but allow me to add in that you should begin learning your scales immediately. there are only 12 notes and knowing the notes and where they are will help you as you progress...it will also help u understand the chords that you are learning and what notes they are built of...i assume that you, like most people starting out, want to eventually play some leads and solos and scales are huge to that. there are lots of youtube videos with basic scales that will give you a good start. happy playing!!

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
learnign more songs, one, sanitarium, nothing else matters, hells bells, lily was here lol so easy.. Learnign all the chords and transitioning

fingers starting to blister but damn its so much fun to play.

ELPOLLITO

COUNTINCHINGADERA
Mar 15, 2010
ELCOLLINS
I PICKED UP MY LITTLE BROTHER GUITAR THE OTHER DAY OUT OF BOREDOM I USED TO PLAY BUT WITH TIME I JUST LET IT GO.. I STILL REMEMBER HOW TO PLAY SKETCHES OF SPAIN..SIMPLE SONGS AND SOUNDS GREAT:cool:..

Feb 25, 2007
I bought a Dean VMNTX a couple of weeks ago. My first guitar. Haven't had a chance to play it, though. Didn't have enough money left over for an amp.