An Interesting article about firefighters

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 13, 2004
members.sitegadgets.com
No Background Checks For California Department Of Forestry Firefighters
May 20, 2007

California - How can a firefighter with a criminal record and possible ties to a criminal street gang work his way up the ranks of the state's fire prevention agency? With relative ease, actually, fire officials said. California Department of Forestry officials in Tulare County admitted Friday that a background check is not required to work as a firefighter at the department.
The disclosure comes in the wake of a Recorder story that revealed a former CDF-Tulare County Fire Department firefighter is facing felony vandalism charges for allegedly spray painting gang graffiti on several buildings in the town of Pixley -- while in uniform.

Pixley residents said Juan Cardona Valdez, a 32-year-old former CDF engineer, spray painted red Norteno gang graffiti over blue Sureno graffiti in early December.

With a background check, officials likely would have discovered Valdez's conviction for petty theft in 2005 and for driving under the influence of alcohol in 1998.

"[CDF] does not have a background check requirement," CDF Tulare Unit Chief Ed Wristen said. "It is something we are looking into.

"Situations like this hurt, they hurt, and it stresses the point we need to head in that direction."

The lack of background checks, officials admit, does expose the department to potential extreme security breaches -- CDF operates 39 conservation camps statewide, where 4,000 inmates work alongside firefighters to respond to a variety of emergency responses.

"I am just speaking off of the top of my head, but I don't believe the firefighters who monitor the inmates go through background checks either," CDF Tulare Unit Division Chief Frank Spandler said. "The only people who go through background checks are those who go through peace officer training."

Each of the four local fire agencies -- Visalia, Tulare, Porterville and Dinuba city fire departments -- have taken the steps to require potential firefighters to disclose their pasts through rigorous background checks.

So has the newly formed Tulare County Fire Department, which begins operations July 1.

The department will use "Live Scan," an electronic fingerprint system that's linked to the FBI and state Justice Department's databases.

"We are hiring people and it's good to know who we are hiring," TCFD Operation Chief Ted Mendoza said. "We want to make sure we are getting people who are prepared to do the job, to avoid situations like the one just mentioned."

Written by Porterville Recorder

Apr 29, 2005
CRAZY SILENT said:
With a background check, officials likely would have discovered Valdez's conviction for petty theft in 2005 and for driving under the influence of alcohol in 1998.
How in the fuck would that have led them to believe he was a gang member?

Apr 29, 2005
CRAZY SILENT said:
antoniog831 said:
allegedly spray painting gang graffiti on several buildings in the town of Pixley -- while in uniform.
Of course they knew then. What I was suggesting was, "how would a background check have prevented them from hiring a gangmember?" Plenty of non-gangmembers have DUI and petty theft convinctions. There was nothing on record to allege gang involvement or activity.

Feb 15, 2007
germmtz said:
Of course they knew then. What I was suggesting was, "how would a background check have prevented them from hiring a gangmember?" Plenty of non-gangmembers have DUI and petty theft convinctions. There was nothing on record to allege gang involvement or activity.

I THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE FOUND OUT HE WAS A CRIMMINAL, NOT A GANGMEMBER.. DIDNT SEE ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN THE POST

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
germmtz said:
He Was Caught Spray Painting Northerner Gang Graffiti Over Southerner Gang Graffiti, The Clue Kinda Makes Itself Present

The Fact That The CDF Work Side By Side With The CDC's Inmate Programs. They Dont Want Forms Of Communication To Be A Problem Thru The Prisons

Aug 19, 2006
encho20 said:
too many skraps in the norte.too many northern born turn skraps,damn we losing...........
THIS WAS DEFINITELY OUT OF POCKET. PLEASE KEEP THA MANIC DEPRESSION OFF THIS BOARD.

Aug 19, 2006
ALL TODAY IN THA ECCR FORUM I FIND OUT THAT THERE IS SKRAP COPS AND NOW I SEE HOMEBOYS ARE COMIN THRU KEEPIN UP WITH TIMES BY BECOMING FIRE FIGHTERS. NEXT WE'LL HAVE HOMEBOYS AND SKRAPS GOIN AT IT AT STAE LEVEL POLITICS AS SENATORS AND SHIT. I AM JUST FLAT OUT CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON HERE. AND @ SKRAPS BEIN COPS I MEAN I KNOWN THAT THEY RAT BUT NOW THERE STRAIT UP COPS AND SHIT LOL.

Mar 13, 2007
1OLB4 said:
ALL TODAY IN THA ECCR FORUM I FIND OUT THAT THERE IS SKRAP COPS AND NOW I SEE HOMEBOYS ARE COMIN THRU KEEPIN UP WITH TIMES BY BECOMING FIRE FIGHTERS. NEXT WE'LL HAVE HOMEBOYS AND SKRAPS GOIN AT IT AT STAE LEVEL POLITICS AS SENATORS AND SHIT. I AM JUST FLAT OUT CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON HERE. AND @ SKRAPS BEIN COPS I MEAN I KNOWN THAT THEY RAT BUT NOW THERE STRAIT UP COPS AND SHIT LOL.
whatever to further ur own cause,I bet if the cops told the skraps to let em rape em and they would shoot all the enez and lock em up,im sure skraps would be lining up in front of police departments.

Aug 19, 2006
DCKingPin said:
Rather be a firefighter than a cop still.
YES BEIN A FIREFIGHTER IS LEGIT HOMIE. I WAS JUST KLOWNIN I THOUGHT IT WAS A FUNNY COINCIDENCE. @ AT ECHO ALL UR TALK ABOUT LOSIN OR WHATEVER. LOOK HOMEBOY IT WOULD TAKE AN ACT OF GOD TO REMOVE A CURRENTLY ACTIVE MAJOR GANG OPERATING AT THIS POINT. IT WASN'T STREET RIVALS THAT SHOOK UP LA COSA NOSTRA. IT WAS GOV. RIVALS. THEY ARE OUR BIGGEST THREAT. THA GOV. IN IT'S MANY FORMS IS A THREAT TO MIDDLE AND LOWER CLASS CITIZENZ PERIOD. BUT I'M GETTIN OFF TRACK HERE WHAT I AM SAYIN IS PLEASE DON'T AIR YOUR THOUGHTS ON OVERALL MAJOR SUBJECTS ON HERE NOT THA PLACE.

Mar 13, 2007
1OLB4 said:
YES BEIN A FIREFIGHTER IS LEGIT HOMIE. I WAS JUST KLOWNIN I THOUGHT IT WAS A FUNNY COINCIDENCE. @ AT ECHO ALL UR TALK ABOUT LOSIN OR WHATEVER. LOOK HOMEBOY IT WOULD TAKE AN ACT OF GOD TO REMOVE A CURRENTLY ACTIVE MAJOR GANG OPERATING AT THIS POINT. IT WASN'T STREET RIVALS THAT SHOOK UP LA COSA NOSTRA. IT WAS GOV. RIVALS. THEY ARE OUR BIGGEST THREAT. THA GOV. IN IT'S MANY FORMS IS A THREAT TO MIDDLE AND LOWER CLASS CITIZENZ PERIOD. BUT I'M GETTIN OFF TRACK HERE WHAT I AM SAYIN IS PLEASE DON'T AIR YOUR THOUGHTS ON OVERALL MAJOR SUBJECTS ON HERE NOT THA PLACE.
guess u rite,goverment is a big threat to anything .