Alex Rodriguez Becomes Youngest to Hit 500 Home Runs

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 16, 2005
www.svmatch.com
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aMZr5nmXNlrc&refer=home

Aug. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees hit his 500th home run yesterday in a 16-8 victory over Kansas City, becoming the youngest player in Major League Baseball history to reach the milestone.

Rodriguez hit the first pitch he saw from the Royals' Kyle Davies just inside the left-field foul pole for a three-run homer in the bottom of the first inning at Yankee Stadium. It was his major-league leading 36th homer of the season.

The two-time American League Most Valuable Player stood at home plate for a moment before throwing his hands in the air as the ball landed in the stands for his first homer since July 25. He hugged Derek Jeter and Bobby Abreu, whom he drove in, at home plate and exchanged high-fives with teammates in front of the Yankees' dugout while the fans gave him a standing ovation.

``That felt really good off my bat today,'' Rodriguez said in an interview with the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network. ``I didn't know if it would stay fair or foul. I was so relieved it stayed fair. I acted like a goofball running around the bases but I guess you only do 500 once.''

He reached 500 homers at the age of 32 years, eight days, surpassing Hall of Fame first baseman Jimmie Foxx, who was 32 years, 337 days old when he hit his 500th homer in 1940. Rodriguez is the 22nd player in major-league history to get 500 homers and second this season, after Toronto's Frank Thomas did it June 28.

He's hitting .301 with a major-league best 108 runs batted in, after going 3-for-4 with three runs scored and a walk yesterday. He had 14 homers this April to start his fourth season with the Yankees.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
REdRUM said:
Can't wait until he breaks the homerun record...hope he stays healthy and motivated.

Yea fasho and when he does, we will have anotha legit dude with the record!! Got Em!!