50 Cent sues Taco Bell over ad campaign

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 16, 2004
07/24/2008 6:00 AM, AP
Samuel Maull

NEW YORK (AP) — 50 Cent has sued Taco Bell, claiming the fast-food restaurant chain is using his name without permission in advertising that asks him to call himself 99 Cent.

The rapper says in a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday that the Mexican-themed chain features him in a print ad asking him to change his name to 79 Cent, 89 Cent or 99 Cent. His real name is Curtis Jackson.

The rapper's court papers say the ad is part of Taco Bell's "Why Pay More?" campaign, which promotes items for under a dollar, including Cinnamon Twists for 79 cents, Crunchy Tacos for 89 cents and Bean Burritos for 99 cents. The papers say the Irvine, Calif.-based company sent a bogus letter requesting the name change to the news media but not to the rapper.

The rapper's lawyer, Peter D. Raymond, said his client didn't learn about the letter or that he was featured in the ad campaign until he saw a news report about it. Raymond said his client is seeking $4 million in damages.

Jun 4, 2004
I seen this last month 50 was talking about....

"When my legal team is finished with them, Taco Bell is going to have a new corporate slogan: 'We messed with the bull and got the horns!" -50 cent

more like... "50 cent's more Cheezy than our Quesadilla..." - Taco Bell

I doubt he will get any money.. you have to prove a financial loss due to Taco Bell... but T.O.S. did take a shit as far as sales... he could blame Taco Bell I guess...

Jun 23, 2003
I seen this last month 50 was talking about....

"When my legal team is finished with them, Taco Bell is going to have a new corporate slogan: 'We messed with the bull and got the horns!" -50 cent

more like... "50 cent's more Cheezy than our Quesadilla..." - Taco Bell

I doubt he will get any money.. you have to prove a financial loss due to Taco Bell... but T.O.S. did take a shit as far as sales... he could blame Taco Bell I guess...
a loss? nah. If they are making a gain, then he is losing. because they are making money off his name and he aint getting shit.

he getting money here. watch. taco bell will be glad to fork out 4 mill and take the publicity. they dont give a shit. it was cheaper than asking I bet. because he would have said no probably lol.