2010 Oakland Athletics Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Justin Duchscherer told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he has an irritated sacroiliac joint, which also bothered him last season.
Duchscherer's discomfort Saturday was initially reported as simply back stiffness, but the injury is actually where the base of his spine connects to the hip bone and he's already had three cortisone shots in the area this year. However, according to Slusser it is ultimately a minor issue and shouldn't keep Duchscherer sidelined very long. Given his injury history, "minor" is a relative term.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Lenny DiNardo (foot) is hoping to resume throwing on Wednesday.
DiNardo was diagnosed with a strained arch in his left foot Tuesday and was labeled "day-to-day" by team trainers. The 30-year-old southpaw is fighting for a spot in the A's bullpen and needs to get back on a mound quickly. He had a lousy 10.13 ERA and 2.63 WHIP for the Royals last season.

Justin Duchscherer (back) is feeling good after undergoing a nerve ablation procedure on Tuesday.
"I don't feel anything," said Duchscherer. "I feel great right now. More than anything, I'm tired." Duchscherer underwent the procedure to alleviate discomfort in his SI (Sacroiliac) joint -- which is between the spine and pelvis. He'll be re-assessed tomorrow and will likely be sore for a few days, but provided he doesn't suffer a setback, he should be back on a mound next week.

Manager Bob Geren said outfielder Coco Crisp (shoulder) will see some time at designated hitter during the first week of spring training action.
Crisp underwent season-ending shoulder surgery last June and his hitting is currently ahead of his throwing in the early going, according to Geren. The Athletics signed the 30-year-old Crisp to a one-year, $5.25 million contract in December.

Ben Sheets threw a simulated session to minor leaguer Corey Wimberly on Wednesday.
Sheets utilized all three of his pitches and "climbed the ladder," according to manager Bob Geren. Sheets hasn't pitched in the majors since 2008, but we've heard nothing but positive things about his progress as he begins to ramp it for game action. He's still tentatively scheduled to pitch against his former team on March 5.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Lenny DiNardo is working on a new side-arm motion with bullpen coach Ron Romanick.
Gotta try something new. The 30-year-old left-hander has a 5.36 ERA in 94 major league appearances. Romanick thinks the new arm angle could give him an advantage, especially against left-handed hitters. We'll see. DiNardo missed only one day after he was diagnosed with a strained arch in his left foot on Tuesday.

Justin Duchscherer (back) played catch on Thursday without incident.
Duchscherer said he "felt fine" after throwing 35 times at 80 feet. He underwent a procedure to alleviate discomfort in his SI (Sacroiliac) joint earlier this week. He hopes to return to the mound at some point next week.

Athletics manager Bob Geren said prospect Chris Carter will primarily work at first base this spring.
A's GM Billy Beane has hinted at Carter possibly getting a look in the outfield, although he has played the majority of his games in the minors at first base. Carter, 23, batted .329/.422/.570 with 28 homers and 115 RBI between Double-A Midland and Triple-A Sacramento last season. He was recently named as the organization's top prospect by Baseball America.

Aug 9, 2006
stassi the next mauer?

Yuba City native youngest player in Oakland's spring training.

Last year at this time he was a high school senior who had the chore of raking the home plate circle at Winship Field following each Yuba City High baseball game.

My how things have changed.

A year later, Max Stassi is receiving base-running tips from Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson and living out every kid's dream — going to spring training and practicing with a Major League team.

One of 24 non-roster invitees when the Oakland A's opened camp in Phoenix last week, Stassi has been working out with the A's big leaguers and has impressed many within the organization with his defensive skills.

He's also doing it in front of the right people. Most importantly, Oakland manager Bob Geren, who was impressed by Stassi's maturity after watching him catch a bullpen session last week.

"You'd think he's much further along than 18 years old," Geren told the San Francisco Chronicle last week, adding that Stassi is quick and moves extremely well behind the plate.

Predicted by baseball insiders to be a first-round selection in last year's amateur draft, Stassi slid to the fourth round due to signability issues rather than his ability on the diamond. It was a steal for the A's, who inked Stassi to a contract just nine hours before the signing period ended on August 17.

His $1.5 million signing bonus is the most ever for a fourth-round pick.

Stassi is nearly four years younger than anyone invited to participate and is the shortest of the six A's catchers.

But despite his 5-foot-10, 190-pound frame, he has incredibly quick hands and his lack of size didn't effect his power numbers at Yuba City, according to scouts.

Stassi had a short stint with the short season single A team, Vancouver Canadians.

In 13 games he finished with a .286 batting average, four doubles, eight RBIs. His best game was his last on Sept. 6, when he went 2-for-5 with two doubles.

Named the Appeal-Democrat's All-Area player of the year three times during his four varsity seasons, Stassi ended his Honker career with a .514 batting average, 40 homers and 162 runs batted in 123 games.

He is also the only player to make The Sacramento Bee's All-Metro first-team four years, including Player of the Year honors the past two seasons. After batting .580 as a freshman, Stassi helped the Honkers pile up an 87-7 record while winning the last three Sac-Joaquin Section Division III championships.

Aug 9, 2006
thanks Joey been around just dont post as much...my boy stassi is doing it big man..im happy/suprised As got a contract done for him..his family has been playing baseball in this area since the 1800s they live eat and die that game

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Kevin Kouzmanoff (shin) is expected to return to practice Thursday.
Kouzmanoff bruised his shin during Tuesday's intrasquad game and sat out of Wednesday's practice, but all signs are good for a quick recovery. The 28-year-old is slated to start at third base for the A's this season. He batted .255 with 18 home runs and 88 RBI with the Padres last season.

Athletics manager Bob Geren said Coco Crisp (shoulder) will not play the outfield during spring training "for a while."
He'll still play, of course, but only as a designated hitter. Crisp underwent season-ending shoulder surgery last June and his throwing hasn't progressed at the same rate as his hitting.

Athletics signed RHP Jason Jennings to a minor league contract.
The deal includes an invitation to big league camp. Jennings, 32 in July, posted a 4.13 ERA and 1.56 WHIP for the Rangers last season, though, and is unlikely to crack the A's Opening Day roster.

A's legend Rickey Henderson declared Saturday that outfielder Rajai Davis could steal between 75 and 80 bases this season.
"Easy... sleeping," said Davis, in agreement with Henderson. The 29-year-old outfielder swiped 41 bases last season in just 390 at-bats and is certainly capable of doubling that number with a full slate of plate appearances. He also batted a respectable .305/.360/.423 last season.

Justin Duchscherer (back) will play catch again Friday.
The right-hander underwent a procedure earlier this week to alleviate discomfort in his SI (Sacroiliac) joint. He had a short throwing session Thursday and felt so strong Friday morning that he has decided to play catch again. It's great news for A's fans and the sanity of Duchscherer owners.

Jan 18, 2006
I'm mad cuz I went to the first game lol, good to see they been playing better since that disasterous night

j19

Sicc OG
Oct 23, 2008
those clucth hits r happening sooner then later so thats a plus...going to fridays game cant fucking wait

Jan 18, 2006
What a game today, in the back of my mind I was thinking same ole A's when they were down 3-1 in the 7th. Out of no where they score 8 runs. Games not quite over yet but they have given me hope that they have a real good shot at winning there division

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
I think the AL West is completely up for grabs. The Angels took a step back this year but will still compete, the Mariners look good on paper but still have a lot to prove. I just want the A's to compete.

Props to Adam Rosales on a 4 rbi day, and Rajai davis picks up two steals, im really hoping he gets 75-80 this year.

Aug 9, 2006
what sect you usually sit in DUBBC?

the As are playing hot (knocks on wood)....im loving that Rajai hasnt missed a beat since the 2nd half of play last year...he could be this generations Rickey Henderson with so much going into swings and techniques, hardly anytime is spent on classic baserunning...Rajai has the best teacher in the game and could be one of our best players (save for the young pitchers) for a long time....

j19

Sicc OG
Oct 23, 2008
damm $17 i memeber paying 14 a couple of years ago....taking the 1st 2 series is great, hell ya cant wait 4 todays game...Lets Go Oakland!!!!