::2008 SF49ERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD::

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Nolan's Notebook: September 24

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4667&section=PR News

RE: Opening Statement:
“Okay, we’ve got the New Orleans Saints obviously this week. They are a good football team. They’ve lost two in a row but they are very explosive. We’re all well aware that they beat us the last two years 31- 10 and 34-10, so we’ve got our work cut out for us but we’re looking forward to going to New Orleans.”

RE: Do you have to treat Reggie Bush as if he’s a wide receiver? He catches so many balls and screen passes, things like that:
“I think it’s important right now to find out where he is [on] every play. What we treat him as is kind of irrelevant. Everybody has to know where he is at all times because he does line up in the backfield, he lines up strong side, weak side and he’s very active in the offense.”

RE: Does he [Reggie Bush] go out wide much?
“Oh yeah.”

RE: Does he [Reggie Bush] do it a lot?
“Sure does. He’ll line up as a wide receiver, he’ll line up as a running back. He hasn’t lined up at fullback yet, he hasn’t lined up at tight end but he does all the other things.”

RE: Does it change your game plan because he was a role player the last two years?
“He’s doing the same things he’s always done. It’s only three games in the season, they’ve done less with [Deuce] McAllister. As far as what Reggie [Bush] has done, Reggie’s has done all of the same things but more on it.”

RE: Do you think that your defense is better equipped to deal with the Saints in general and [Reggie Bush] this time around?
“I hope so but we’re going to find out on Sunday.”

RE: With other teams they put corners on [Reggie Bush] how do they deal when he goes out wide?
“Everybody deals with it different. They have played Tampa Bay, Washington and Denver and basically they have faced three entirely different defenses. Some similarity in coverage at times from those teams but overall, one team matches and a couple of other teams did not. So he’s faced a lot of different looks.”

RE: Would he become even more of a focal point with [Jeremy] Shockey out?
“From a statistical standpoint you can say that he has in the first three weeks. But they have very confident receivers in the other guys. The tight end Miller is not a bad player either, I noticed that New Orleans brought him back to the roster. He’s somebody that we have to watch. But more importantly, their wide receivers are not bad. I think Devery [Henderson] is a good player and [Robert] Meacham was a first round pick from two years ago and is someone we have a lot of respect for. Moore is a good player. The thing that you look for is not how good someone is but you also want to see if the quarterback has confidence in them and appears that the quarterback has confidence in all of his receivers.”

RE: Why is Drew Brees such a hard quarterback to sack? He always leads the league in least amount of sacks.”
“He’s very good in the red zone, he’s very good on third down, always has the most first downs in the league so those three areas are critical. Red zone and third down is huge. He was good at threat when he was at San Diego they were one of the top teams in the red zone in San Diego as well so you know it has something to do with the quarterback. I think he’s good because, although he’s 6-feet tall, he’s got good vision. He understands where his receivers are and he executes it well.”

RE: Your defense was on the field an inordinate amount of time last year. Do you feel that’s improved this year with the offense playing better, and does that naturally follow that your defense will be improved?
“In three brief weeks, it’s helped us thus far. I say brief because it’s real early.”

RE: With Shawntae Spencer out, what do you expect out of Tarell Brown?
“I expect him to perform at a starter’s level, as I do any backup.”

RE: Who would become the third cornerback?
“It depends on the game plan. Right now we’re banged up in the secondary. We have few players that won’t practice today, and they’ll be listed as questionable for the game. So, we’ll see.”

RE: Who are those? Are they the same guys that got hurt in the game?
“I’ll tell you. I’ll give it to you right after. There’s four or five. With Dashon [Goldson] out, we still have four other DBs that are banged up. It will affect a lot of things we do.”

RE: You said Dashon Goldson’s out?
“No, Dashon’s not out. I’m saying he’ll be limited in practice. Keith Lewis and Michael Lewis will both be held out of practice today. [Donald] Strickland is still coming back from last week, so he’ll be questionable. He’ll be limited in practice. Shawntae [Spencer] as I’ve already said is out. Who else did I leave out … that’s it.”

RE: What do you like about Tarell Brown?
“I like Tarell. He’s a good little – I say little. He’s a good player. He suffered an injury last year in the Cleveland game at the end of the season but rehabbed it well, worked extremely hard on it. In mini-camp I didn’t know it he was going to make it to the season because he was just coming off of the injury. But, he didn’t look like he was that far away. Although in training camp, he did real well. He seems to be back very close to full go. He’s a very competitive guy. He’s got good confidence. Like I said, I expect him to perform at a starter’s level, but each week is a new challenge, so we’ll who he gets this week.”

RE: During the Seattle game, Tony Siragusa said during the broadcast that Eric Heitmann was bobbing his head before the snap. Was that done on purpose as a signal to his own guys?
“It was so, as you were there as I believe. It was as noisy as it gets. Teams will typically use what’s called a silent count. Whether they all hold hands, which some teams do, some teams go by bobbing their head. Anyone who plays in Seattle, typically will use some form of a silent type of a count. Detroit used a silent count when they were on the road. I don’t know if they did during our game, but when we were watching the film, their center did several times. Some teams use it as an advantage when they go against those teams. There’s no real indicator. Many teams will bob their heads once, twice, even three times. So it’s not really something you can use to get off on defense. It’s not used to draw the defense. It’s really used just to have your own guys be in sync because it’s very difficult to hear the quarterback.”

RE: But can the defense use that?
“Yes, but they’ve got to know the huddle count because I can [nod] once, I can [nod] twice, I can do that three times and if you don’t know which one it’s on…They used to when it was just one time, but everybody caught onto that so nobody uses it.”

RE: Is that something you’ll use in New Orleans?
“Well, if we need a silent count we’d use a number of different things. But I want to divulge, obviously, what we’re going to do.”

RE: In Seattle, every time it looked like it was on the one head bob. Did you see that as being an issue?
“It might need to be on two and three head bobs this week [laughing].”

RE: Do you like your offensive line as it’s currently composed?
“I like it healthy. I’d like to have Jonas [Jennings] back. But outside of that, we had a better week last week. Every week presents a new challenge, but we’re alright. We just have to keep improving. As it is, our offensive line, obviously, really drives what we do whether it’s protecting the quarterback or making holes for Frank [Gore]. So it’s critical that they perform at a high level. Otherwise, we’re not as good as we could be.”

RE: Are you rotating now? Because [David] Baas played a couple of series at left guard:
“Yes, and even now we’re trying to get him in a little bit more for a couple of reasons: we have to bump Adam [Snyder] out from time to time to do a little tackle just in the case that we have to use him. At the same time, Chilo [Rachal] is getting a lot of work: he was active in last week’s game. The better he gets as we go forward will determine some of that work also.”

RE: So that was part of the plan last week: to get him in a little more?
“I can’t remember if it was last week or the week before where Adam got nicked for a play or two and came out. I don’t remember what week it was, but that also caused him to go in. I know David…we’ve got to get David some more as we go. Right now, we like the two guys that are playing in there.”

RE: Chilo practices at tackle or at guard?
“At guard.”

RE: You’re rotating Baas in at left tackle, not right?
“For right now, yes, because Snyder would be the one that could potentially bump outside so we want to make sure he’s prepared for that role if a tackle were to get nicked.”

RE: How do you like [Tony] Wragge at right guard?
“Good. He didn’t play as well last week as the prior two weeks, but overall Tony’s been doing a very good job.”

RE: With Jonas, is that going to be an extended push on into future weeks?
“Yes, right now he is out for this game.”

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
The 49ers expect to place cornerback Shawntae Spencer on injured reserve.

Spencer will require surgery on Wednesday to repair a torn ACL that was suffered in the Seattle game.

Spencer was the team’s starting nickel cornerback. He was replaced in the lineup against Detroit by second-year player Tarell Brown, who notched his first NFL career-interception.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
NiNerz Need Sum Wins Wit In Their Next Five Games....

October 19 @ N.Y. Giants

October 26 vs. Seattle

November 2 BYE

November 10# @ Arizona

November 16* vs. St. Louis

November 23* @ Dallas