2 MANY RAPPERS, NOT ENOUGH FANS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2003
BUT THATS MY POINT...IM SAYING THE RAP GAME ISNT JUST FOR KIDS...

ITS DOMINATED BY YOUNGER ARTISTS BUT WHO USUALLY WHO PUTS THESE YOUNGER GUYS ON?

AS THE GENRE GETS OLDER. I THINK THE BROADER THE GAME IS GONNA GET...

I PERSONALLY RATHER LISTEN TO ARTISTS WHO ARE MORE EXPERIENCED THAN SOME KNUCKLEHEAD YOUNGINS...

BUT THATS JUST ME

I agree with what you saying. I like older music better too. thats bc thats what i grew up on and expect more nowdays but i accepted its not gonna happen. just like our parents may have knocked the shit we listened to as kids bc they was alive during the actual motown, eart wind and fire, james brown soul period or even the elvis era. im not some young kid i just turned 32 years old. i have a external hardrive(had to put most my huge cd collection on it had to go digital bc im not about to carry no cds books) & ipod they both are full of all kinds of shit from the temptations, barry white, Michael jackson, Confunkshun, switch, killa tay, dj quik, genesis, kenny g, al jarreau, bob marley, shabba, old bass music, metallica to 2 chainz. im talking about full discographys not just a song or two name it i got it. took me a few years to rip my whole collection to taht drive. I just like all types of music so thats why this generation music never bothers me bc i have many many of options of shit to listen too depending my mood..

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
\

I can say one thing about short dog atleast he trying to put out hella youngsters on his last few albums he put alot young upcoming artists on features. so i dont think he really making albums cause of him he got money i think he doing it more of using the too short name/brand to help others out. Look at somebody like MC Shan that negro is like 70 years old and tryna make a comeback he even has a new song and video taking shots at young artists. imo thats the bitter shit i was referring too. nobody checking for him now so he bitter. juice crew was like almost 30 years ago.
The Internet thanks him everyday for letting basedgod shine

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
You can't see someone's age when they are singing, or rapping. I don't think I ever not wanted to listen to a artist (any genre) because age. I wold have missed out on some great material if I kept that mentality.

So the age thing is kinda dumb. Maybe if they are on YouTube doing high school shit I can see a point.

And the whole thing about teenage listener, of course... It's called marketing. Those dumb fucks will listen to anything if they sell it as the hip thing. Skrillex could be 40yrs old, and 15yrsolds would be going ape shit still.

Sep 12, 2002
www.sohnup.com
There are millions of fans/consumers.
I went to a festival in Germany a few years ago and there were about 30-40k people there goin' CRAZYYYY for an entire weekend. During the Summer, on any given weekend, any where in Europe, there are similar gatherings that are celebrating Hip Hop and Rap. *shrug*

To artists in general...

As a start:
Hustlin' backwards. A person who is serious about their business, in most cases, does not want to work or even deal with an artist who lacks professionalism, has the tendency to be lazy/no motivation or drive, and/or has very little to no business acumen. Business situations should be win/win, quit tryin' to get over. If you are not aware of the millions of channels to get your music out there and ways to make money besides selling a physical CD, you are hustlin' backwards.

The "Stay Local" attitude. Hip Hop and Rap is GLOBAL. Cats that continue to embrace the "Stay Local" mantra will continue to stay local and continue to make LOCAL money. Many East Coast MCs are making BREAD touring the States, Europe and Australia. Africa is an untouched market by indie artists for the most part, but there are a shit load of opportunities there, that is if you can adjust to the business landscape. Most West Coasts artists, imo, miss out bc they can't see beyond their block. Expand your horizons, make some connections, get a passport (if you can), and TOUR.

Marketing. Just putting out a record is not good enough. Put out a dope product with dope packaging (a point that many artists glaze over). Figure out ways to market your product in an innovative way. Partner with brands and media outlets to push your ish. If you're going to give away free shit, make your fans work for it i.e. Tweet for an exclusive track/mixtape, come to a show for a t-shirt, contests, comment on YouTube, etc. Embrace social media and get up to speed on the music streaming services/digital music services out there. Connect with your fans. Stand out!

CTRL + ALT + DELETE all of the "yes men". :siccness:

The list goes on and on... Gone are the days where an artists could just put out a CD, go do a few shows and sell THOUSANDS of copies. RIP to the 90s/early 2000's...

Feb 8, 2003
I went to a festival in Germany a few years ago and there were about 30-40k people there goin' CRAZYYYY for an entire weekend. During the Summer, on any given weekend, any where in Europe, there are similar gatherings that are celebrating Hip Hop and Rap. *shrug*

To artists in general...

As a start:
Hustlin' backwards. A person who is serious about their business, in most cases, does not want to work or even deal with an artist who lacks professionalism, has the tendency to be lazy/no motivation or drive, and/or has very little to no business acumen. Business situations should be win/win, quit tryin' to get over. If you are not aware of the millions of channels to get your music out there and ways to make money besides selling a physical CD, you are hustlin' backwards.

The "Stay Local" attitude. Hip Hop and Rap is GLOBAL. Cats that continue to embrace the "Stay Local" mantra will continue to stay local and continue to make LOCAL money. Many East Coast MCs are making BREAD touring the States, Europe and Australia. Africa is an untouched market by indie artists for the most part, but there are a shit load of opportunities there, that is if you can adjust to the business landscape. Most West Coasts artists, imo, miss out bc they can't see beyond their block. Expand your horizons, make some connections, get a passport (if you can), and TOUR.

Marketing. Just putting out a record is not good enough. Put out a dope product with dope packaging (a point that many artists glaze over). Figure out ways to market your product in an innovative way. Partner with brands and media outlets to push your ish. If you're going to give away free shit, make your fans work for it i.e. Tweet for an exclusive track/mixtape, come to a show for a t-shirt, contests, comment on YouTube, etc. Embrace social media and get up to speed on the music streaming services/digital music services out there. Connect with your fans. Stand out!

The list goes on and on... Gone are the days where an artists could just put out a CD, go do a few shows and sell THOUSANDS of copies. RIP to the 90s/early 2000's...

PERFECTLY SAID.

Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM

To artists in general...

As a start:

NICE POST !

Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM
a lot of these "artists" have trouble selling 3,000 - 5,000 copies of their best album...if they even press that many...I know there have got to be more than a few people reading this that pressed up a thousand copies, sold/gave away maybe half...and they got boxes in the trunk and in the closet collecting dust from their album in 2009

either that or these dudes do 24 mixtapes, each one has 7 recycled tracks, 4 bullshit tracks, 5 skits, and maybe one song you might play once ever 248 days....Now they have a "catalog" filled with records nobody more than 5 miles away knows even exist, they have the ego 16 times the size of their career. not to mention the 14 videos on youtube they shot on his iPhone and edited with movie maker...and since dude sells 2 zips every couple of weeks.. he's now "doin numbers" and "interstate trafficking with the cartel" and his label is Poseesion with Intent Records, and hes BIG PABLO THE DON and his "crew" is now the CORNERSTORE DOPEMAN MAFIA,..its like muthafucka get a hold of 5 or 10 racks and think they are the next Freeway Ricky and they run the country....and they act surprised when you aint heard of em and youre both from the same city, if not the same set.

Jun 10, 2002
I look at it like this for every 10 great rappers there are there are going to be 2 or 3 that slip past the radar and people are going to buy that bullshit even though its horrible. Im hella picky about rappers now days I used to love to go to the record store and shell out 15 or 20 bucks for a new cd but now days its rare because Im not trying to go and spend my money on a cd and only hear 2 or 3 good songs out of 15 and the fucked up thing is all the shit thats coming out now days it all sounds the same and its annoying as hell. nobody really is taking the time to do something different and its really fucking rap up

I got two important phrases that relate directly to this situation.

"YOU CAN'T TURN A HO INTO A HOUSEWIFE"
People are gonna download shit for free BECAUSE they can. It's in peoples nature to do what's in their best interest. No amount of wishful thinking or telling people to do the right thing on the siccness is going to make the majority of people buy your shit for $15 at Rasputins instead of downloading it in 5 minutes off of mediafire. No matter how much the market get's flooded with bullshit, I can almost guarantee that this thread isn't going to convince anyone with dreams of being a rap star to quit rapping. No one thinks THEIR stuff is the wack bullshit that's over saturating the market. People are gonna do what it's in their nature to do, for better or for worse.

"DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
No amount of blaming artists for being wack, or blaming Tay or other rappers for selling verses to wack artists is going to change the fact that no one had any choice in the game getting the way it is. The changes in the music game and in the media in general have to do with technology, sociology and market conditions, which are going on in all industries on a worldwide level. It was a natural progression, and there is nothing we can do about it. Wishful thinking and complaining on internet forums won't change anything. There is no one to blame but the game itself.

I still think the cream rises to the top though. I've only once met an underground no-name who was as dope as my favorite bay area artists that are getting recognition.

Nov 25, 2003
SUNSHINE CITY,CA
I DIDNT MAKE THIS THREAD 2 CONVINCE ANYBODY 2 DO ANYTHING. I MADE IT 2 DISCUSS WHAT I FEEL IS THE TRUTH. AND MOST OF THE PPL WHO I CONSIDER WACC ARTISTS WHO I'VE TAXED 4 A VERSE, ACTUALLY NEVER PUT THEIR MUSIC OUT SO I DONT KNOW WHY ANYONE WHOULD DIRECT A STATEMENT LIKE THAT AT ME. THATS LIKE SAYING DONT SELL DOPE 2 A BASEHEAD BECUZ ITS FUCCIN HIS LIFE UP. REAL HUSTLERS DONT CARE ABOUT SHIT LIKE THAT. BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. SOMETIMES ITS GOOD,SOMETIMES ITS NOT. I ACCEPTED THAT BEFORE THE 2000'S EVEN ROLLED AROUND. I JUST SEE A LOT OF COMPLAINING ABOUT THE QUALITY OF MUSIC FROM SO CALLED FANS BUT IF THEY DONT SUPPORT THEIR FAVORITE ARTISTS ANYWAY, WHY WOULD THEY EXPECT ARTISTS OR RECORD LABELS 2 CARE?? WHEN THE WORLD SEEMS LIKE A "DOG EAT DOG" PLACE...PPL LIKE MYSELF ARE GOING 2 SHOW THEIR FANGS AND GO 4 WHAT I KNOW. IM NO HIGH CLASS CELEBRITY, I WAS RAISED IN SOME OF THE WORST HOODS IN THE COUNTRY(EAST AND WEST COAST). IM THANKFUL THAT RAP HAS MADE ME SOME GOOD $...AND OPENED UP DOORS 2 OTHER AVENUES 4 ME AND SOME OF MY CLOSE FRIENDS. COMPLAININ AINT MY THANG, BUT DISCUSSIN SUBJECTS GIVES PPL CLARITY. I BEEN IN THE SICCNESS COMMUNITY 4 YEARS....AND I STILL LOVE IT. THE GAME DONT CHANGE,THE PPL DO.

I think both sides are guilty, but both sides are also products of their environment. It's like a cycle.

If fans download instead of buying, the artist doesn't make money, so the artist gotta make their product for cheaper, which often means it's not as dope, which means fans are less likely to buy it, which means they're more likely to download, which means the artist gotta rely more on selling verses for a living, which means some people that don't got it get cosigns from those who do, which means the artist who sold them the verse's stock goes down, which brings the market down as a whole.... etc... etc.. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I respect you Tay for always being solid with your opinions and dropping game. The only reason I brought up this point is that there are a lot of threads about what's wrong with the game and what can be done about it, and there isn't really a solution I can see, other than people just doing their best to make dope shit based on the circumstances.

I'm curious Tay, (since you probably know) do people be paying to get on the albums of established artists?

Nov 25, 2003
SUNSHINE CITY,CA
YES THEY DO...AND I'VE HAD ARTISTS OFFER ME MONEY 2 BE ON MY ALBUM INSTEAD OF BUYING A VERSE. ITS A PERSONAL DECISION AN ARTIST MAKES. I MYSELF DONT LIKE LEAVING THE STUDIO FEELING LIKE THE SONG IS NOT UP 2 PAR AND MONEY IS IMPORTANT BUT NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH 2 TARNISH MY IMAGE. NOWDAYS, IM MORE ABOUT MAKING GOOD MUSIC THAN TAXIN PPL 4 VERSES. I APPRECIATE THE $ WHEN THEY COME AROUND AND STAY HUMBLE ABOUT IT BUT THE GOOD THING IS I HAVE ALWAYS HAD CREATIVE CONTROL OVER WHO I RAP WITH AND WHAT I PUT ON MY ALBUMS. I COULDNT IMAGINE IT ANY OTHER WAY. AT LEAST I GET 2 MAKE THE KIND OF MUSIC I LIKE. THAT ALONE IS A SATISFACTION IN ITSELF. I STILL KNOW ARTISTS WHOSE CAREERS ARE SCRIPTED BY SOMEONE ELSE UNTIL THE DAY THEY SNAP OUT OF IT AND REALIZE THEY ARE IN THE "PUPPET POSITION" WITH SOMEBODYS HAND UP THEY ASS DICTATIN THEIR MOVES. WITH ALL THE SATURATION IN THE RAPGAME, IT HAS BECOME MORE OF A BUSINESS 4 ME BUT WHEN IT WAS NORMAL AND U HAD 2 BE DOPE 2 GET ON, THE GAME WAS MUCH MORE FUN. NOWDAYS U EVEN HAVE 2 WATCH WHO U RAP WITH CUZ SNITCHES AND SUCCAS GOT MONEY 2 AND IF U ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE STREETS U MIGHT END UP GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION. THATS WHY LATELY I BEEN DOIN MY WCM THANG. AT LEAST I KNOW EVERYBODY UNDER THAT UMBRELLA IS SOLID.

Dec 25, 2003
SOME PPL THAT RAP ARE WORTH MONEY,SOME ARENT. SOME LABELS PAY THEIR ARTISTS,SOME DONT. GOOD MUSIC SELLS, BAD MUSIC DOESNT. I GUESS ITS ALL A GAMBLE IMO. I'VE NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT THE MONEY ISSUE, I WAS JUST EXPRESSING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PROFESSIONAL AND A HOBBY RAPPER. I FEEL ITS TIME 2 SEPERATE THE GAME. IMMA START BEATIN NIGGAS UP AGAIN...LOL

Hahahahh

haha

Nov 25, 2004
My friends are in the same boat. They truly believe they will be famous one day lol and instead of making real money,they make shitty music and try to shove it in front of everyones face swearing they will be the next to BLOW up. They have about 20 listeners and they are on food stamps and welfare. Real "G" shit,you know

Feb 24, 2007
Great thread Tay... Great opinions by alot of y'all as well. I agree with alot of the post, but me as an old school artist, Id have to say I still work hard like Im fresh in the game. I never had a 9-5 working for anyone else but i do work hard from 9-9 in the studio and on the road for myself and for my fans. My current album "The Taleneted Mr. Reddick" is a great album based on reviews from fans and those in our industry who have heard it. So that makes me work harder. everyone cries for "REAL" music and quality music but when you deliver it they dont support it locally. Ive been out over 3 weeks and the response in Kansas City, Portland, New Mexico and Seattle for my album has been great. I believe you'll get out of something just as much as you put into it. If you really think you have the gift to make it in this music industry give it your all. Never doubt yourself and let no one else doubt you. Ive been doubted my whole career but have over 32 albums on my label, sold over 300,000 records, featured on tons of albums as a producer or artist, been on BET, MTV, CMC, A&E, toured the country and abroad, been in every major rap publication, even charted billboard twice but Ive NEVER been affiliated with a major label and still UNKNOWN, but Im not ever gonna stop til that organ in my chest stop beating. So when they tell you to give up on your dreams it could be because they scared to go for theirs. 1luv... Coolio-Da'unda'dogg

Also be on the lookout for me and Killa Tay Collab album coming soon. Go cop "The Talented Mr. Reddick" in stores now and I guarantee you wont be disappointed... follow me on twitter, add me on facebook, hit my webpage.

www.twitter.com/daundadogg
www.facebook.com/daundadogg and like my fan page www.facebook.com/cooliodaundadogg
www.daundadogg.com
www.youtube.com/daundadoggmusic View attachment 111446

Wow man, you just got yourself a new fan. Much respect.

Feb 8, 2003
aye Tay i have a couple questions for you if you dont mind answering.

How old was you when you decided to become a professional recording artist?

What motivate or inspires you in your writing process when working on a project or feature?

Nov 25, 2003
SUNSHINE CITY,CA
I ALWAYS WANTED 2 BE PROFESSIONAL. I HAD A RAP BATTLE WHEN I WAS 11 YEARS OLD AT VENICE BEACH AND I WON AGAINST SOME GROWN MEN. FROM THAT MOMENT ON I KNEW WHAT I WANTED 2 DO CUZ I LOVED THE FEELING I GOT WHEN THE CROWD WAS CHEERING 4 ME.
AND I NORMALLY STILL TRY 2 WRITE AT LEAST 1 RAP A DAY BUT I CANT SAY I'VE GOT A CERTAIN PROCESS. I HAVE BOOKS FULL OF RAPS BUT I ALSO LIKE 2 WRITE FRESH AT THE STUDIO 2 NEW BEATS. GOOD KUSH + ME = BLACC HISTORY

Feb 8, 2003
I ALWAYS WANTED 2 BE PROFESSIONAL. I HAD A RAP BATTLE WHEN I WAS 11 YEARS OLD AT VENICE BEACH AND I WON AGAINST SOME GROWN MEN. FROM THAT MOMENT ON I KNEW WHAT I WANTED 2 DO CUZ I LOVED THE FEELING I GOT WHEN THE CROWD WAS CHEERING 4 ME.
AND I NORMALLY STILL TRY 2 WRITE AT LEAST 1 RAP A DAY BUT I CANT SAY I'VE GOT A CERTAIN PROCESS. I HAVE BOOKS FULL OF RAPS BUT I ALSO LIKE 2 WRITE FRESH AT THE STUDIO 2 NEW BEATS. GOOD KUSH + ME = BLACC HISTORY

You should make a movie of your career or write a book one day.