2 Conferences hold out on College FB Playoffs

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 15, 2005
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20080109-9999-1s9bcsfolo.html

Two specific interest groups are standing against the wave of demand that rises every year for a major-college football playoff – the Big Ten and Pac-10 conferences.

“The issue is, could there be an NCAA championship without the Big Ten and the Pac-10?” said John Sandbrook, a longtime UCLA administrator who conducted a report on the bowl system in 2004. “I think that would be a very interesting question to watch in terms of who stares the other one down.”

For example, Sandbrook said, let's say the Big Ten and Pac-10 stick with their beloved matchup tradition in the Rose Bowl while the other conferences decided to stage a playoff without them. What happens when USC's football coach pursues a blue-chip recruit. Wouldn't the recruit ask the coach, “You guys can't compete for a national championship. Why should I go to USC?”
Very interesting. Motherfuckers need to change their stance.

Jun 15, 2005
Playoff games could be just as big, and if only two BCS conferences are holding out, then it seems like a possibility to me.

Jun 23, 2005
hmmm...interesting....i vote for playoffs fuck pac 10 and big 10 if they dont wanna join then leave them out and watch the programs go down...

May 9, 2002
Playoff games could be just as big, and if only two BCS conferences are holding out, then it seems like a possibility to me.
They would have to reconstruct the whole bowl system...maybe even leaving some teams out. All this would do is just cuase MORE and DIFFERENT controversey...

Niether a BCS system nor a playoff system implemented NOW, will ever please EVERYBODY...

Jun 15, 2005
True...yet I know lots of people (as I'm sure you do too) who would love a CFB playoff right about now.

Now whether people like myself and them are a majority is something to consider, but more importantly that a good amount of conferences want it too. The BCS had a lot tougher time this year with so many good teams catching losses, but there were just too many blowouts in bowl games that were "supposed to be" good matches.

Jun 15, 2005
They would have to reconstruct the whole bowl system...maybe even leaving some teams out. All this would do is just cuase MORE and DIFFERENT controversey...
Also, why couldn't they use the Bowl games as the first round of playoff games?

Supposedly their assigned to bowl games due to rankings at the end of the season, yeah?

May 9, 2002
Also, why couldn't they use the Bowl games as the first round of playoff games?

Supposedly their assigned to bowl games due to rankings at the end of the season, yeah?
I was thinking the same thing. I dont know the complete logistics of how money is completely spread from bowl games being played, but im sure something within that would have soem corporation in an uproar.

All in all, i just dont see a solution that a majority of the people will agree with...oterhwise they would have done it already.

May 2, 2002
I don’t know all of the points and suggestions brought up in playoff talk, but something I was think about was…would there be more games played in a season (the two or three extra playoff games), or would they shorten the season by those two or three games?

These kids are risking their futures every time they step on the field…and they may not want to play those extra games just to hold up a college trophy and make us happy…especially knowing they have millions waiting for them in a few months.

Apr 5, 2005
With or without the playoff sytems, we'll still have the same problems. Lets say 8 teams make the playoffs......and the teams left out have a very similar record as the lets say 4 through 8 seeds. Those teams left out will make a case indicating that they are worthy to be in the playoffs as much as the other teams who make it.

Jun 15, 2005
The BCS is a very good ranking system, BUT - accompanied with a playoff system would ensure that an indisputable, uncontested champion remains at the end.

The structure is already in place. NCAA Basketball already has it. No one disputes who the basketball champion is, do they?

Of course there needs to be more time off between games, and less games to reach the championship - all that means is less teams get invited. 8 teams would mean 3 games to WIN the championship, 16 teams would mean 4. That would be 2-3 games extra on the season.

Sep 8, 2005
If they dont want to eat (meaning the Pac 10 and the Big 10) leave they butts away from the table. This whole Big 10 v. Pac 10 in the Rose bowl is getting outdated also. I believe a majoriyt of people would have rather watched USC v. Georgia than USC facing Illinois.

Sep 26, 2005
The BCS is a very good ranking system, BUT - accompanied with a playoff system would ensure that an indisputable, uncontested champion remains at the end.

The structure is already in place. NCAA Basketball already has it. No one disputes who the basketball champion is, do they?

Of course there needs to be more time off between games, and less games to reach the championship - all that means is less teams get invited. 8 teams would mean 3 games to WIN the championship, 16 teams would mean 4. That would be 2-3 games extra on the season.
yea i agree it would make it a whole lot better make teams play harder and the game more exiting for everyone

Apr 25, 2002
I think +1 is the way to go. Have 2 of the games on New Years day or the day after, and then the game the next week.

If the Pac-10 and Big-10 have two teams in the top 4, let them face off in the RoseBowl, if one does and one does not, have the #1 left out of the top 4 play the #2. If neither do, have their conference winners play in the Rose Bowl like always. Problem solved.

All in all, its absolutely retarded that the commissioner of the Pac-10 would even think of not getting into a +1, they have at least one team who can play in it every year (two this year had Dixon not been injured) and it would finally provide more Pac-10 - SEC matchups that everyone wants to see. The commissioner of the Pac-10 is a retard as is: he needs to be fired for getting bullshit TV contracts and mediocre bowl games, not to mention some of the bad officiating that goes unpunished.

The Big-10 on the other hand, has a lot to lose, they have been a week conference for a couple years now, but continue to get good TV contracts and good bowl games because they are the mighty Big-10. Kudos to them for looking out for their interests but its time to do what's right for all of college football and have a +1.