1940 Doll Experiment

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2016
East Palo Alto
www.youtube.com
LINK TO PDF: https://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/05/13/doll.study.1947.pdf

In the 1940s, psychologists Kenneth and Mamie Clark designed and conducted a series of experiments known colloquially as “the doll tests” to study the psychological effects of segregation on African-American children.

Drs. Clark used four dolls, identical except for color, to test children’s racial perceptions.

They used black kids ages 3-7; tested some kids who went to school in intergrated schools and tested some kids that were in segregated schools. Roughly half and half.

They would ask the kids,
1. What doll do you want to play with.
2. Give me a nice doll.
3. Give me a bad doll
4. Give me a nice colored doll
5. Give me a doll that looks like a white child
7. Give me a doll that looks like a negro child
8. Give me a doll that looks like you.

The kids in northern states associated whites with nice good things and some of the kids then ran or would cry when they would pick the doll that looks like them. Because they associated black with Bad.

Meanwhile the southern kids would associate the nice good dolls with black. And when asked what dolls was them they would justify why they picked the black dolls with things like "I'm only black because I have a tan."

Southern kids Either way were influenced by racism to not want to be black but they didnt hate themselves and boast whites above them.

I found this experiment powerful as fuck.
I took my nephew to school one day and saw one white kid in the whole class and he was new and was tripping off the other kids asking them if their skin was real 😂 things are becoming backwards now.
I dont have a question, I just want to know your thoughts on this experiment. I feel ending slavery was of course positive. But intergrating kids made everyone put whites above them and make them feel less than, even as young as 3 they were influenced, compared to all black schools who had pride in who they were.

Jun 21, 2006
Another powerful experiment conducted by white people in the 1940’s....
So every kid in the experiment was white? But the southern kids chose the black doll because they were sun tanned?
Why didnt the scientists ask black kids opinions? Whats the relevance of this experiment?

Jan 29, 2016
East Palo Alto
www.youtube.com
Another powerful experiment conducted by white people in the 1940’s....
So every kid in the experiment was white? But the southern kids chose the black doll because they were sun tanned?
Why didnt the scientists ask black kids opinions? Whats the relevance of this experiment?
No bro, it was conducted by a black man. And every kid in the experiment was black. Click on the PDF file and it has all the results on it.
It was to measure how segregation affected African-American children.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
My daughter almost 5. At her daycare she is the minority, it is mostly white. Sometimes we'll be looking at pictures or doll shopping and she would always choose the white long haired doll, or say "I want this hair" referring to the white doll. She used to say that she didnt like her own hair. I used to get upset. I realized that at the young age of 4, I must instill in her head that she is beautiful and her hair is beautiful and that nothing else matters smh.

Jun 21, 2006
I blame the white people propaganda game. They have all the power and money so the image is white people are succesful. They control the media so all you see on tv and papers is succesful white people. A 5 years old kid will be easily influenced by this.

Sad shit

Jan 29, 2016
East Palo Alto
www.youtube.com
My daughter almost 5. At her daycare she is the minority, it is mostly white. Sometimes we'll be looking at pictures or doll shopping and she would always choose the white long haired doll, or say "I want this hair" referring to the white doll. She used to say that she didnt like her own hair. I used to get upset. I realized that at the young age of 4, I must instill in her head that she is beautiful and her hair is beautiful and that nothing else matters smh.
I feel the fuck out of that bro. I have a Godchild who is half black and half Mexican. She would ask why there wasnt any princesses the same color as her. I got her princess toy that was dark skinned dark hair and had a sword (not sure what movie) and she went crazy, she said it looked like her and loved it.

I grew up going to a charter school in EPA and all we had were mexicans, tongans and blacks. And I still remember showering as a kid trying to scrub the "black" out of me and I was remembering that when I read this experiment. I had no contact with white people but still wanted to be like them. The fuck.
Not sure what would even set that mindset. I was in 6th or 7th grade when that happend. And I wasnt even that dark as a kid. I got darker as I got older. Fucking crazy... Hating who you are for no reason.

Jan 29, 2016
East Palo Alto
www.youtube.com
I blame the white people propaganda game. They have all the power and money so the image is white people are succesful. They control the media so all you see on tv and papers is succesful white people. A 5 years old kid will be easily influenced by this.

Sad shit
Shits getting wierd. U see those videos of white girls purposely trying to look dark skinned now 😂

Props: datplaya