10 Reasons why Bay Area artists dont have Nationwide appeal .

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 30, 2004
1. Copy cats- It seems alot cats wanna blow up and they copy everyone from the East or they copy LA fools. They also copy too many styles from their own back yard in the Bay Area.

2. Clothes-The Bay Area doesnt have their own clothes which others or Bay Area fools would wear. For example fools wearing Roca Fella and Phat ( there are much more part of the Def Jam Family)

3.Videos- Hardly no Bay Area fool be making videos. I know people be talking about balling but cant afford to make a good original video. It helps to make a video and hope the can get it played( BET and MTV are Bay Haters)

4. Collaborations with East Coast - Hardly any East Coast / Bay Area Collaborations. It seems the Bay Area rappers be recycling the same artists all the time to appear on their album.

5. Compilations- People are tired of hearing the same rappers trying to make the same type of songs over and over again. The Mixtape is another form of a Compilation on its way out ( Most East Coast Mixtapes have new songs with new beats also known as exclusives and West Coast mixtapes just jack beats)

6. Guest apperances- It seems Guest apperances are way too much on an album . It seems the guest are very unkown to most people. Again it seems like an Artist album feels like a compilation.

7. Singles- It seems the Bay Area artist doesnt make songs for the radio and expect to be played on the radio. This isnt the NWA days anymore. It seems everyone likes any song that gets radio play.

8. Clear Channel- They wont let the Bay Area shine at all. They seem to repress the Bay Area scene when it comes to rap. The new Clear Channel management want carbon copies of national radio pop hits.

9. Viacom- It seems Viacom doesnt play hardly any Bay Area artist when it comes to their companies such as MTV, BET, V-H1, and Infinity Radio.

10. Record Companies- It seems the record companies have already defined the Bay Area Market. They view the Bay as being too identical to each other and no one is worth signing because there is nothing interesting happening in the Bay Area. Examples include Warner Brothers, Universal, and Sony.

Jan 20, 2003
good post

chuck from done deal brought up some good points on a similar topic when he said production in the bay isn't that good. there's only a few producers that consistantly come out with hits.

i really feel u on the lack of videos though!!!

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
I've been saying all of this for the past couple years and people called me a hater and shit...and tried fighting me over it, LMAO!! I'll SAY IT AGAIN...Bay Rappers as of RIGHT NOW, do not have a chance unless they pack up and leave the Bay...point blank PERIOD!!

Apr 25, 2002
burnrubberz said:
8. Clear Channel- They wont let the Bay Area shine at all. They seem to repress the Bay Area scene when it comes to rap. The new Clear Channel management want carbon copies of national radio pop hits.

9. Viacom- It seems Viacom doesnt play hardly any Bay Area artist when it comes to their companies such as MTV, BET, V-H1, and Infinity Radio.

10. Record Companies- It seems the record companies have already defined the Bay Area Market. They view the Bay as being too identical to each other and no one is worth signing because there is nothing interesting happening in the Bay Area. Examples include Warner Brothers, Universal, and Sony.
Finger-pointing is one of the biggest problems and you just did it three times in a row in a 'top 10' list. You can easily come up with 10 reasons without trying to blame other people/media/corporate world.

Nov 18, 2003
Major Labels can suck a dick you are talkin bout diversity in the Bay look at New York where most of their attention is focused and show me diversity. The reason the Bay isnt blowing up is not a lack of talent it really comes down to a lack of exposure and the music not being pop/radio friendly.

Who is going to by an album if they dont know who the artist is? People out here dont know who the Jacka is, when some people outside the Bay don't even know the established Bay artists ie..(Yuk, C-Bo, Lynch,Keak or RBL Posse). The only artist people affiliate with the Bay is E-40. For example I went to the record shop when Godzilla dropped and the people working there didnt know who the fuck YUK was.

Plain and simple if its on Radio and Video it will sell look at Twista and Lil Jon they are getting countless spins and their videos are on all day long. Twista for one has actual skills but never got this type of exposure until his Roc A Fella affiliation. Another point when is the last time you saw an up and coming Bay artist in The Source they could do features on San Quinn or Messy Marv, You can barely find Murder Dog in my area.

I could go on and on about how fucked up the game is right now.

Apr 25, 2002
In my opinion clothes isn't that big of a factor.

Clearchannel discriminates against all underground rappers around the U.S. equally. It's not that they won't let the Bay shine soley it's the fact that they won't allow anyone that doesn't have quite a bit of things shine. One of them could be popularity or money. Clearchannel is a business and they want ratings, so logically speaking in order to get high ratings you got to put on popular music.

I know it may seem f'ked up because you may wonder "How the fuck do I get up there? I don't have the bread or the or major corp. backing", but thats just the way it works you got to reach them not the other way around and thats only if you want to. Theirs other ways of selling record and getting exposure without having to go through them. You just got to maximize all your opportunities.

Popularity can also be our faults because honestly speaking I'm not calling up KMEL and requesting music when some of the rappers on this board are saying "Call in and request _____ new song". Fans are fucking blowing it when they're not doing that because obviously these rappers got there shit in the station and all they need is us to call in and we're not doing it.

So who's going to start the mass movement to rally people to call in?

Dec 30, 2003
the only thing i say is...be OPTIMISTIC....this shit will happen....we will see bay rappers on MTV, BET, and maybe FINALY CMC....bay rap is too good to go unheard for too long...all we need is some recognition right about now

May 10, 2002
*looks at his watch*

Yup it's about that time for the 'why the bay aint blowin up' threads to start.

Mufuckas aint makin hits out here. Simple and plain. If you got a hit, you're in there, if you don't you aint. There it is.

This mufucka talkin bout some clothes and shit. How you expect any of the labels out here to have their own clothing line when they can't even sell 10,000 units? Get the fuck out of here with your fake as David Letterman Top 10 list..

Apr 14, 2003
#2 Clothes.....That one is garbage.. rocking clothes doesnt make you blow up...

#4 It would be hard to collab a East Coast rapper wit a bay area rapper because of the sound and style differences.

#10 - Jay Tee and Baby Bash just got signed homie. What about E-40 and Too Short is on jive....the same label that is home to like britney spears type ish

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
You also can't forget the fact it's a case of "big bank take little bank"....
The major labels and artists cannot afford to let Bay Area artists blow up. They want them to stay underground so they can continue to rape them of their ideas....

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
I'll just put it like this...garbage!! There's 10x more garbage ass rappers than there are tight ones in the bay. And, to be honest, the garbage rappers get distributed because they have 25 features on all thier albums, and only 2 verses of their own....but the features spit garbo ass verses too because the rapper that paid them sucks, so why not do a half assed job?? I've met so many tight rappers out here, and none of them get any attention because they don't have bread to break out to features!! Record companies look around, they hear garbage, the radio doesn't play it because they aren't hits, MTV doesn't want it because they aren't hits, people don't buy it because it's not worth the $$ and nobody here is sellin millions because people don't buy it!! All the finger pointing and blame has now been shifted to the rappers!!