Black father found dead with throat cut, ear missing: Texas sheriff claims he overdos

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
by Yvette Caslin

Alfred Wright 3

Alfred Wright, a 28-year-old physical therapist, was on his way to see a patient when his pickup truck broke down in Sabine County, Tex. His wife Lauren alerted his parents who went to help him. When Lauren called him back, all she heard was heavy breathing. She grew frantic and knew he was in distress. She sent texts pleading with him to call her. When his parents arrived on the scene, there was no sign of Alfred. His pickup truck was still parked at the package store, but Alfred was long gone. The store clerk said she saw Alfred, who was dressed in scrubs, but claims after he talked on his cell phone, he stuffed his cell phone in his socks and took off running, of “his own free will.”

Sabine Co. DA turns Alfred Wright case over to Texas AG's office - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Alfred knew help was on this way, so it’s questionable that he’d run off into the woods in a town where racial tension is highly prevalent.

Alfred grew up in Jasper along with his four siblings. His father is a pastor and middle school gym teacher. “Alfred was a man of great faith,” his wife tells CNN. A football player while in college, she goes on to say “he loved his family, was very ambitious and hard working … fun loving and brilliant.”

His family questions the sheriff’s office commitment to finding Alfred when they abruptly halted the search after only four days, saying they’ve exhausted their resources, Alfred would be listed as a missing person and there was no indication of foul play. They even said this case was likely drug related and Alfred ripped off his clothes after having hallucinations.

Alfred’s watch, clothing and his identification were found in the area near where deputies claimed to have searched.

His lifeless body was found 18 days after he went missing in November 2013, the week of Thanksgiving, near Hemphill in Sabine County, Tex. which is 45 minutes away from where “in the pre-dawn hours of June 7, 1998, James Byrd Jr. was walking home in Jasper, when he was stopped by three white men who offered him a ride home. Byrd got in the bed of their pick-up truck, but the men did not take him home. Instead, they drove him to a desolate, wooded road east of town, beat him severely, chained him to the back of the truck by his ankles and dragged him for more than three miles. The murderers drove on for another mile before dumping his torso in front of an African American cemetery in Jasper,” according to the police report.

Tragically, Alfred was found by volunteers and his father. He was stripped to his boxer shorts, wearing only a single sock with his cell phone tucked inside, and both his sneakers. He was missing an ear, two front teeth and his throat was slit. There was not a lot of decomposition in comparison to most bodies found in the elements after 18 days. On November 26, 2013, forensic pathologist John W. Ralston MD, ruled his death “accidental” due to “combined drug intoxication,” in other words, a drug overdose – cocaine, methamphetamine and amphetamines.

The family isn’t buying it because Alfred never used drugs. His family had their own autopsy and the pathologist concluded that he died of severe trauma to the neck and head and a gash across his throat.

The county’s autopsy report didn’t address the cut on his neck or throat area and also went on to report that any damage caused to the body was caused by animal activity, offering no explanation why the cut across his neck was a straight line and why the animals didn’t chew him to the bone after being out in the woods for over 18 days.

Every single day that passes, evidence is lost or destroyed. Please help this family find answers. Alfred took care of his wife and three sons financially and the family is seeking donations, any help is appreciated. Click here to help: Alfred Wright Foundation at GoFundMe.

Houston Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, senior member of the House Judiciary and Homeland Security Committees, recently announced “the Department of Justice will investigate and take appropriate action and will conduct a thorough and independent investigation into all the circumstances surrounding this tragedy and to take appropriate action necessary to vindicate the federal interest, protect the civil rights of all Americans, ensure that all persons receive equal justice under law.

“We are all better off when the facts are discovered, the truth is discerned and the family and the community are at peace.”

S.SAVAGE

SICCNESS MOTHERFUCKER
Oct 25, 2011
EAST SAN JOSE
so an animal cut a straight line on his throat huh, riiiight
that same animal must have taken him into its den (without eating him ) & kept him covered & in humidity, because the body had not decomposed like a body left out in the elements for 18 days.

,....chances are it was probably some pig that did it & the crooked ass cops trying to cover shit up.

WayCide-Ridah

Evergreen Hustlah
Sep 13, 2005
Tha Eva Green
I'm a tax paying citizen now, got a good job, own my home, car and truck....suit and tie type of dude....but....I as a person of color am still uncomfortable as fuck around any type of law enforcement...and would rather handle shit myself then call a cop...even told my wife I'd divorce her if she became a cop....I have my own set of morals and law enforcement just as a whole have fucked me over one too many times with that billy bad ass attitude!!

Sep 25, 2005
A strange case. The hallmarks - ear missing, teeth missing, tongue missing ... suggest something something similar to cattle mutilation. But there is not much information to go on. "black dad killed by racists in Texas" is not necessarily the go to headline for me, much less, "black dad does meth and disappears". Could be a mundane explanation but unless there's a serial killer on the loose, I don't suspect redneck racists would go to that extreme to mutilate someone. They would probably just kill/torture dude without doing all this weird shit and cutting out his tongue.

S.SAVAGE

SICCNESS MOTHERFUCKER
Oct 25, 2011
EAST SAN JOSE
A strange case. The hallmarks - ear missing, teeth missing, tongue missing ... suggest something something similar to cattle mutilation. But there is not much information to go on. "black dad killed by racists in Texas" is not necessarily the go to headline for me, much less, "black dad does meth and disappears". Could be a mundane explanation but unless there's a serial killer on the loose, I don't suspect redneck racists would go to that extreme to mutilate someone. They would probably just kill/torture dude without doing all this weird shit and cutting out his tongue.
You'd be surprised at the lengths some of these insecure whiteboys will go when it comes to their hatred & racism.

NONE of this is too far fetched, for Texas.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
a white girlfriend! No wonder he was killed in Texas!!! why didnt u say so before!
real rap

What part of Texas was this again? If it was East Texas I am in no way surprised.

One of the homies from NOLA told me bout this town in East TX called hanging tree (maybe this is just what the town was known as and not the real name of the town?) that still has the hanging tree in the center of town and his pops used to tell him don't ever stop there cuz they still hanging/ lynching smh that's Amerikkka tho

of course in AZ they still have the hanging tree in front of the courthouse up north, is it Prescott or Flagstaff...... idr

with that said I'm all for hangings, color aint got shit to do with it, I would like to see us start hanging "law" enforcement and politicians myself

RIP Alfred Wright

Last edited:

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I dunno where you got the missing tongue from, but he was dragged by a car/truck. he's obviously gonna sustain additional injuries and parts could get scraped off from pulling the body. An ear coming off or teeth knocked out could all be from that....the throat slit could be an "end to the suffering" type killing

on the other hand, I really do suspect racist rednecks to go to the extreme to mutilate someone.....or small woodland creatures.....