Who Are The Most Overrated Rappers To Ever Pick Up The Mic(Regardless of Region)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Cash Money Records damn near ruined rap music, after the way "bling, bling" hit and became so popular rap changed from being a statement to a way to get as many dubs in a video as possible, you had so many people entered the game after that strictly to make money, or make it look like they had money, hip hop lost a lot of substnace because of Cash Money.

...also 50 cent, The Game, Keak Da Sneak, Daz Dillinger, and i also want to say snoop dogg for the way he has sold his gangster image into a marketable commodity his lyrics have also fallen off quite a bit over the years

Aug 22, 2006
"i gotta quit this fuuckin board and hip hop in general when i hear someone say that BIGGIE, RAKIM, MAC DRE, JAY-Z AND KRS ONE ARE OVER RATED. "

again, it isn't a question of skills. its a matter of opinion. But if you look at my analogy of why Biggie is overrated, there really shouldnt be an argument. Do you honestly think biggie dropped enough material to ever be considered the greatest? does his discography match up with 2pacs? yet they are always spoken of in the same light. only thing they have in common is they both were killed too soon in life. pacs body of work at pretty much the same young age was much greater than big's. Big had two cd's, hell, only one was released while he was alive. So if youre willing to consider him an all-time great, you must believe lebron and wade are all-time greats in the NBA as well even if they never play in another game.

Aug 3, 2006
yall are trippin t.i. is dope

jay-z is a really good rapper but nowhere near "the greatest" like folks say
biggie wayyyyy overated ready 2 die was a solid album but how does one good album make you the best? his flow is hella boring
50 cent is weak as fuck lyrically dont see why people dig his shit so much
keak even tho i slap his shit aint all that dope and is weak on a lyrical level
ludacris is also garbage to me

May 20, 2006
The #1 overrated rapper is hands down SNOOP DOGG.
I say this because he has been using the same verses since Doggystyle.
He's a cool personality, but couldn't flow his way out of a junior-high school freestyle session.
#2 METHOD MAN would have to be a close second.
Cool personality, some of the worst Hip-Hop albums I ever heard. He's the reason I stopped listening to East Coast rap.
#3 Slim Thug
His lyrical content and his style will put you in a coma.
#4 50 Pennies
This nigga is the King of studio gangsterism. His lyrics are as unreal as a Harry Potter screenplay, pure fantasy.
#5 Notorius B.I.G.
Biggie was a decent artist, however one of the all time greats he is not. He was basically the benefactor of the great media machine of the East Coast, and he was the first New York rapper to imitate the formula that was working for the West Coasts artists. Gangsta music.

Feb 13, 2006
Romanowski21 said:
Public Enemy......hands down.....those beats are garbage!!! All kinds of messeges but way overrated.
oh no you did not just say public enemy is overrated. you even said that theyre beats are garbage. i'll give it to you, if you were talking about recent releases, but cmon man. the bomb squad has to be one of the most influential production crews in the history of hip-hop. the rawness of the drums, the outrageous organized chaos of their boom bap production style brought some of the hardest beats of the era. you wouldnt have had the classic "amerikkkas most wanted" by ice cube or any of the classic early 90's r&b songs (ie, swv and bel biv devoe).

the booming party/dance-able beats with political raps, is still something that we miss today. alot of todays political/conscious music is boring (with the exception of the coup) and dont live up to what public enemy was able to accomplish. partying for your right to fight.

and you cant ignore the power of chuck d's voice and delivery... along with some of the most powerful words ever spoken in rap.

but to each his own. your highly regarded rappers might be on my, and the next man's, overrated list.

my list would go something like this:

eazy e (enjoy his shit, but you could tell he was trying way hard to carry a beat and spit simple flows)

the game (proof that mediocre rappers can release good albums, due in part to production)

rick ross (see the game)

talib kweli (backpackers dont get your straps too tight... but, while he might have good content and lyrics, cat is just too boring more times than not)

missy elliot (as much as i love the shit she made for aaliyah, her own shit aint all that)

Sep 29, 2003
cash money didnt ruin rap music, it brought a whole new sub-genre to the scene.....they released a lot of CLASSIC albums and just to add, nobody in that camp is overrated

Aug 22, 2006
"talib kweli (backpackers dont get your straps too tight... but, while he might have good content and lyrics, cat is just too boring more times than not)"

true enough. although i am a fan, other than the black star album, none of his solo projects really standout as classic, IMO

Dec 25, 2003
The most overrated rappers so far are:

Snoop Dogg
2-Pac
Biggie
50 Cent
G-Unit
Game
T.I.
Ludacris
Dr. Dre
Jay-Z
Kanye West
Dipset
Juelz Santana
Wu-Tang
Method Man
Lil Jon
Outkast
Black-Eyed Peas
Daddy Yankee
Mike Jones
Paul Wall
Chamillionaire
Three 6 Mafia
Bone Thugs N Harmony
Akon
Nas
Pitbull
Missy Elliott
Lil Kim
Busta Rhymes
Pharrell
Vanilla Ice
K-Fed

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
is it really necessary for some idiot to come in after every single post just to say "you're trippin" "you on one for that shit" "you crazy?"

shut the fuck up,its an opinion...stop catching feelings