What's your thoughts on bilingual rap?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 11, 2002
..I've heard tracks from Japan, Belgium, Germany, Africa, Puerto Rico, the UK... and if its done right its dope...

Apr 3, 2007
I LIKE THAT SHIT. WHEN SOMEONE IS RAPPING IN ENGLISH AND THEN THEY SWITCH IT UP AND START RAPPING IN SPANISH SOUNDS DOPE.

ONE TRACK THAT HAD ME TRIPPIN OUT WHEN I HEARD IT WAS THAT SONG BY LIGHTER SHADE OF BROWN CALLED LATIN ACTIVITY. THAT GIRL TEARDROP SWITCHES IT UP LIKE THAT ON THAT TRACK. HER VERSE IS CRAZY.

Jan 1, 2006
Nah... I say just leave it in english.

I don't like when rappers throw in some Middle Eastern phases. Yea it's part of their Muslim faith but they don't even say it right.

Spanish seems to be the most common but I'd rather have the lyrics on point with english. Just my personal opinion

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
just like regular english some people just cant flow...even if you cant understand a language you should be able to pick up on the swagger or flow of a persons rhyme in another language. this is the reason that thousands of japanese kids (beyond blatant dickriding of the US) will jump up and down to brand nubian songs and sing it word for word, but not know what the FUCK theyre actually reciting.
That shit reminded me of when I used to go to Living Legends shows and Arata would show up.....I remember that one song where they had all the legends on it and everyone in the audience went hella dumb when Arata came on....

my friend: "That's hella tight, that foo is rapping in Japanese"

me: "so, it just sounds like he's making a song about garfield's dog Odie, cuz everything sounds like 'odie odie oh koh sha'"

and I like cypress hill, I have or have listened to almost all their albums....I was hella loaded one day and my potna ended up putting in the spanish cd, which is just a greatest hits cd but they did everything in spanish.....I didn't mind it much until "loco en la cabeza" came on....LMAO!

Mar 4, 2006
I was talking about rappers who throw a lil Spanish into their mainly English rap doing this. It's something Ive noticed about bilingual rappers. I think the language you rap in determines who your target audience is. I stay away from rapping in two languages myself because my target audience is English speakers.

Jun 5, 2004
I was talking about rappers who throw a lil Spanish into their mainly English rap doing this. It's something Ive noticed about bilingual rappers. I think the language you rap in determines who your target audience is. I stay away from rapping in two languages myself because my target audience is English speakers.
i feel u... i hate when rappers be speakin spanglish.

Either do a spanish song so that all spanish speakers will like it, or do a english song so that all english speakers will like it.

There's no sense rapping a line in english and ending it with a spanish word, cuz dudes that only speak english are gonna be like "What? i didnt understand that last word". And dudes that only speak spanish are gonna say "i only heard that last word"

Mar 4, 2006
What about if your target audience speaks spanglish?
there's nothing wrong with that. It's an artist's choice who he aims at as his target audience. I can rap in Spanish myself but I don't record in Spanish because I don't think Latinos really listen to rap music like that. There's so many types of Latin music rap is probably one of the last genre of music on spanish speaking peoples' radar. I think spanish speaking people would probably prefer reggaeton over Spanish rap.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
If it's done right and doesn't sound awkward, than it's tight. If it sounds awkward though, it makes it sound corny as fuck. It's really hit and miss though...

And for God's sake, if people are gonna use Spanish words, at least be able to pronounce that shit correctly! I've heard some Darkroom shit in Spanish that is fuckin ridiculous. And I like some DR shit, but some of those fools CANNOT talk in Spanish but still try to rap it...