What's your thoughts on bilingual rap?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
Some of its cool, some of its like WTF? LOL, my friends from Serbia let me listen to some rap from over there and I was like... wow, lol, this is rap? I guess maybe if I understood what they were saying I might enjoy it a bit more, but even that beat sucked! So its kinda iffy-iffy.

its wierd but its really made for that certain audience. english is a more world wide language so its acceptable in other regions around the world but u see what reageeton did couple years ago they play'd that in alot of hip hop clubs and stations....so i think the more recognizable the language is then the more it can be felt amogst people

May 16, 2002
It depends, like many...I also agree that a few do it well.

I'm working on doing it, but haven't been happy with the way it comes out.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
just like regular english some people just cant flow...even if you cant understand a language you should be able to pick up on the swagger or flow of a persons rhyme in another language. this is the reason that thousands of japanese kids (beyond blatant dickriding of the US) will jump up and down to brand nubian songs and sing it word for word, but not know what the FUCK theyre actually reciting.

so ive liked alot of bilingual rap. some has even been educational. for instance kid frosts song (i think it was ya estuvo?) , he did the first verse in spanish i believe, then the next in english...so if you paid attention to the song youd kinda understand what he was saying even if it was in spanish, because its been translated enough.

7 notas 7 colores were tight back in the day
its good to see people of all cultures rapping and i can i appreciate it even if i dont always get it.

thats the same closemindedness white people have against rap...too much slang for them to get it..like "whats a foe?"

sometimes i trip at the fact im actually bumping latino rappers in my car and not thinking about it....it seems the only person that would bump lil uno or conejo is a hispanic sureno or somewhat close to that

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
just like regular english some people just cant flow...even if you cant understand a language you should be able to pick up on the swagger or flow of a persons rhyme in another language. this is the reason that thousands of japanese kids (beyond blatant dickriding of the US) will jump up and down to brand nubian songs and sing it word for word, but not know what the FUCK theyre actually reciting.

so ive liked alot of bilingual rap. some has even been educational. for instance kid frosts song (i think it was ya estuvo?) , he did the first verse in spanish i believe, then the next in english...so if you paid attention to the song youd kinda understand what he was saying even if it was in spanish, because its been translated enough.

7 notas 7 colores were tight back in the day
its good to see people of all cultures rapping and i can i appreciate it even if i dont always get it.

thats the same closemindedness white people have against rap...too much slang for them to get it..like "whats a foe?"

sometimes i trip at the fact im actually bumping latino rappers in my car and not thinking about it....it seems the only person that would bump lil uno or conejo is a hispanic sureno or somewhat close to that
Good post...

@ the last paragraph, very, very true. The skill is definately there, whether you're a Mexican Sureno or not.

And...for non-spanish speaking people, what are your thoughts on spanish speaking rappers? Would you bump them? Or would that language barrier be too much?

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
^^^i like a lot of "spanish speaking rappers." there arent a lot of people out here that speak spanish (besides the 3 latino people that live here lol). so when i play it in my car & im singin along, people are like wtf??? n i just keep right on wit it.
Wow...that's 'strange' to me, I guess; I grew up in a community of (estimate!) 75% Mexican decent...not latino or hispanic; MEXICAN. We've had a few Puerto Ricans and Columbians...but 2-3 don't count. LOL