The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2006
We retained Al Saunders and brought in a defensive minded head coach. Now we are going to blow up the defense like we should. Let the smoke settle first. Offensively we will be fine. I like it. It puts all the underperforming players on edge, straight up. Hopefully they can light a fire under McClain's ass with this.

Jun 23, 2005
AFC West notes
February, 13, 2012
FEB 13
2:25
PM ET

By Bill Williamson

Fox Sports reported that Texas A&M’s Terrell Williams was hired as Oakland’s defensive line coach. Williams played at the school with new Oakland coach Dennis Allen. Former Kansas City defensive line coach Tim Krumrie was also a candidate. Like at Stanford, Texas A&M ran a 3-4. Oakland just hired Stanford’s Jason Tarver as defensive coordinator.

Allen was noncommittal about whether the Raiders will use the 4-3 or 3-4 defense as their base defense. He ran the 4-3 in Denver and Oakland ran the 4-3 prior to Allen being hired. Allen has said the Raiders will show multiple looks.

Also around the AFC West:

Oakland defensive lineman Richard Seymour told Sports Illustrated he’d be willing to restructure his deal. His $15 million contract for 2012 became guaranteed last week.

Our condolences go out to San Diego free-agent defensive lineman Tommie Harris. His wife, Ashley, died at the age of 29. So sad, so unspeakable.

In an Insider piece, ESPN.com’s Seth Wickersham explains a formula that gives the Chiefs hope that hiring Romeo Crennel as head coach was a wise move.

Once again, Tennessee free-agent cornerback Cortland Finnegan is being connected to the Raiders.

San Diego is expected to cut tackle Marcus McNeill next month. Atlanta may be a potential landing spot for him. The question about McNeill is will he be healthy? He has been dealing with serious neck issues.

The Chiefs’ website looks at whether free-agent safety LaRon Landry could be a fit for the team.

it doesn't look like seymour is going anywhere, since his contract is guaranteed now, but you can bet Mckenzie is gunna restructure his deal with a bunch of others.

Although i like the idea of having Finnegan, i just dont see the raiders paying what he will be demanding.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Yes, keep Seymour, especially since he said he's willing to restructure! I think we should stick with the 4-3 as the base defense but switch it up too so that Rivers can't call the blitzes out.

Sep 24, 2006
i dont have any faith for next season with our coaching staff. will have to wait and see how offseason plays out but its looking pretty grimm to me right now.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
i dont have any faith for next season with our coaching staff. will have to wait and see how offseason plays out but its looking pretty grimm to me right now.
I wouldn't go that far. I would say for the most part our coaching staff is kind of unknown.

The only hire I flat out didn't like was Greg Knapp. I still don't, but I feel a little better with keeping Saunders around

ALL BOUT CHICKEN

Allez Les Bleus 🌟🌟
Feb 27, 2006
Paris, France
www.fubuoverstock.com
i believe the raiders have the player personnel to successfully switch to a 3-4 defense...

although i could be wrong, i think the front seven would look like this:

right outside linebacker - right inside linebacker - left inside linebacker - left outside linebacker

quentin groves/ jarvis moss - aaron curry - rolando mcclain - kamerion wimbley

right defensive end - nose tackle - left defensive end

lamarr houston - tommy kelly/john henderson - richard seymour

Jun 23, 2005
i dont now how seymour would do at end in a 3-4, i dont think he has the speed anymore. now Shaughnessy yes, but he just has to be healthy this year. Then switch seymour/kelly in the middle, even houston if he puts on some weight

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
well we were 8-8 last year, and had a few really close games we lost, so it's not crazy to think we could be 10-6

I'm not even making a prediction right now, because it's way too early. we still have to go through free agency and the draft

ALL BOUT CHICKEN

Allez Les Bleus 🌟🌟
Feb 27, 2006
Paris, France
www.fubuoverstock.com
i dont now how seymour would do at end in a 3-4, i dont think he has the speed anymore. now Shaughnessy yes, but he just has to be healthy this year. Then switch seymour/kelly in the middle, even houston if he puts on some weight
when he was a new england patriot, i think he played defensive end in the base 3-4...since vince wilfork was the patriots' nose. he probably moved in as an interior lineman in nickel/dime packages, though...

and i don't know about shaughnessy being a 3-4 defensive end at 270 lbs., i'd think he'd have to add at least 15-20 lbs. of bulk...