The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 4, 2003
RM aint puttin up with these ridiculous contracts $$ .... Aso should have been paid that $2mil more off top!! I liked Routt but this was a classic Al move of over paying players

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
y would seymour want to restructure? hes gonna retire soon, so why would he take less cash and not compete for a super bowl with the Raiders? Im sure if hes cut, he would sign cheap with a contender, and raiders arent a contender, they are a few years off

Nov 1, 2004
i know people hate to use the term when describing their team but a few more of these moves and IMO the raiders are going into full rebuild mode. Its the only way to move forward, no other way around all the ridiculous high contracts Al Davis handed out. I read somewhere Between Routt, Wimbley, Seymour, Kelly, and McClain i believe he invested 160 million dollars.
All those names are on defense.
I think you're half right. Defensive rebuild mode with some scheme changes on offense.
We have the weapons on offense but the defense was terrible.

It's hard to tell if the players underperformed on D or the D coordinator was really that bad. Probably a mix of both with the players giving up once they lost hope in Chuck.

I love this move. Fuck it. Cut everybody. I want them to shake things up and cutting Routt is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. I hope there is more to come.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
the offense still had some problems, they're just a lot easier to fix than what's been going on with the defense. the right side of the O-line needs to be addressed, we need better depth at WR and we needed to make better use of BOSSMAN at TE.

Nov 1, 2004
Routt also had the most penalties and got burned for the most TDs than any other CB in the league.
I think it was 17 penalties and 9 TDs.
He didn't play nearly as well as we had hoped for. He is a very good CB but not worth that kind of money.

I read that the move actually costs the Raiders $2 Mil in cap penalties but saves them $5 Mil in cash.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
routt should have a better season playing for a team that doesn't play 99% man defense.

Get ready for the myth of the salary cap

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, February 10th, 2012 at 11:30 am in Oakland Raiders.

There have already been some references nationally to the Raiders’ release of Stanford Routt and how it relates to the salary cap.

It doesn’t.

The whole term “cap-related” is a myth, as Tim Brown once explained to me years ago.

It’s never the productive player that gets released. It is the one the club deems to be overpaid, with the player determining he’d rather move on and cash a check somewhere else rather than take a salary the team feels is more in line with his contribution.

We’ve been hearing for years about all the damage the Raiders have been doing to their financial structure in terms of the salary cap, yet through it all, it never stopped Al Davis from spending as much money as he saw fit to bring in players.

The problem was never the cap, it was the players he selected and the sometimes inflated salaries he paid them.

Routt’s release had to do with general manager Reggie McKenzie thinking the compensation was, as he put it on Jan. 30, “out of whack.”

We’ll find out soon what other salaries are out of whack, and with the end result of players being whacked from the roster.

The two highest paid players in terms of salary are Carson Palmer ($12.5 million) and outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley ($11 million). McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen both spoke glowingly of Palmer on Jan. 30. Hard to see him going anywhere, especially with Cincinnati selecting at No. 17 as a result, with second-round pick likely coming next season.

Wimbley had seven sacks after posting nine in 2010, but four of those came in a single monster game in a 24-17 win over the Chargers in San Diego. He was among the NFL leaders in pressures according to some stat-keeping services.

Linebacker Aaron Curry, acquired by trade, has a $5.7 million salary the Raiders surely never intended to pay next season. It will be up to McKenzie and Allen to make an offer to bring him back.

As for Michael Huff (due $8 million this season in roster bonus and salary), Tommy Kelly ($6 million in salary) and Richard Seymour ($15 million, half of it guaranteed), only McKenzie and Allen know for sure.

If the Raiders make moves with any of these players, it will have everything to do with production and little or nothing to do with the salary cap.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Routt gave up more TD's than any other starting cornerback in the league and then he led the league in penalties. He was garbage bruh, straight garbage.