Strange Music has failed.....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 23, 2003
Tech knows if he really wanted to blow up, he could at any point. Like he says fuck the industry....He doesnt want to be on Mtv every second like bitch lil wayne n shit. He has more than enough talent to be on the radio with #1 jams....But he chooses not to make that type of lolipop bullshit music...he actually HAS talent. Does it really matter if strange isnt promoting enough? Who gives a fuck, if people knew what good music is, they will eventually start listing. I figure, as long as tech doesnt give a fuck...why should we give a fuck? its his career. and that goes for all the other people on strange, they know what they got into...and as of now, they would have left if they didnt like it.
You missed the whole point.

In life you have to strive to get better and better otherwise you spin in circles.

Which tech is doing. Its very clear he is succesfull as an underground artist. Imagine if lil wayne made good music. How rich would he be then?

Nov 14, 2003
first step they need to take imo to get known nationwide is to not worry about promo in areas that they are already strong in (Midwest, West Coast, etc.), but put more focus into areas on the east coast, starting with the big markets (New York, Boston, ATL, etc.). If strange is currently printing up 50,000 sample CD's, take 10,000 of that to distribute along the west coast and in the midwest, areas that you are already known, but there are a few here and there that dont, then take the other 40,000 and get those distributed along the east coast. 15,000 in NY, 10,000 in boston, 10,000 ATL, 10,000 to where ever else along the east coast. you can't go anywhere fast if you are putting most of your promoting focus into areas that you are already known in. strange knows that when they have a show in Seattle it is going to sell out, so don't send them as much promo material.

one thing that has always gotten to me is, when they post that they need people to do promo work, the majority of the people that respond are from the Missouri area. yes, its nice that you want to help with getting promo material out there, but like i said, put more focus into the areas you are less known in. strange already sells out most dates on their 50+ stop tours, and MTV and everyone else is taking notice. the issue? you are not tapping into some of the biggest markets out there. get the buzz going on the east coast. combine that with the buzz going in the areas you already have, and then you will truly be nationwide.

Oct 25, 2006
Tech knows if he really wanted to blow up, he could at any point. Like he says fuck the industry....He doesnt want to be on Mtv every second like bitch lil wayne n shit. He has more than enough talent to be on the radio with #1 jams....But he chooses not to make that type of lolipop bullshit music...he actually HAS talent. Does it really matter if strange isnt promoting enough? Who gives a fuck, if people knew what good music is, they will eventually start listing. I figure, as long as tech doesnt give a fuck...why should we give a fuck? its his career. and that goes for all the other people on strange, they know what they got into...and as of now, they would have left if they didnt like it.
What are you talking about, bimmer?? Tech DOES want to get his name out there, he's said it many times, and he does care about it, it's right there in his fucking music. He says he wants to get his name out there, but is also pissed because us fans "take his music lightly". We don't take his fucking music lightly, the thing is that he doesn't take us seriously, and the same goes for Strange. They don't even take their own artists seriously. We disagree with the reason they go with, and Tech gets all hostile toward us, yet everyone here who DOES disagree is most likely correct about their reasoning. Like I said, it keeps going in circles, and we're all sick of the "THIS IS THE ALBUM OF THE YEAR, THIS IS GONNA BOOST TECH INTO MAINSTREAM" boasts. It really gets annoying hearing that bullshit and it not happening. Tech does really want to blow up, but I think his commitment to Strange is due in part to his big ass heart, and that's what's killing him. He really needs to put his foot down and get his shit out there, the only person standing between him and that is Travis. 1 million records sold independently and he still isn't anywhere near his goal. Something is wrong.

Jul 1, 2004
After thinking about it more. I think Travis has alot to do with things not getting done.

I picture all of the strange artists at the strip club and travis has all of their nightly allowances in an envelope. Kutt says " yo trav I wanna get a dance" Travis then slides tech a hundred and says hit me up when that runs out kutt!

Its like hes feeding them all bullshit.

Kutts first album was good enough to get his name out there. That was a big time failure.

Urban Legendz from SS was way better than the new album, yet this new one is what made travis "cutt the check".

Fuckin bullshit.

Strange artists need to fight the power and leave this mess.

And I already said it. We will all continue to listen to tech. It's just sad seeing him not meet his potential.

Even e-40 had to do a major deal with BME in order to get an album in the mainstream. Now look at him. He is a major pioneer and business man.

Tech dont own a brand of liquor or a couple of fat burgers.

Yes, we know tech will continue to make good music too. Thats fine. But he raps about being held back and not making it and struggling.

It COULD be partially his own fault.
lol i normally never agree with you but VERY WELL PUT MAN!!!

Aug 31, 2005
ive tried to tell myself that i shouldnt get on this thread, but i feel like i have a few things to say

1. Tech puts his all into everything he does, thats very clear, and sometimes what Tech feels i dont, i see some filler songs on killer, but even on those tracks i can tell tech put his all into that. I can honestly say music wise I dont really want Tech to change much, keep taking risk with beats, keep putting your life on paper and thru the mic. Only thing I would request is dont underestimate Seven, since ive been listening to his non Strange tracks ive realized this dude has a lot of diversity and very unique shit

2. promotion is all over the place, i requested promo for everready, didnt get any, tried to get some promo for the Fire and Ice show here and got nothing, at that point I gave up, but at the same time I cant sit back and watch Strange waste resources on the guy they have here who DJs at a hole in the wall and doesnt play any Strange music at that, or hand out promos to anyone [seen him hand out 1 tech/prozak sampler]

3. put the attention on your other artist as you do Tech, can you honestly look at Skatt and Snug or Kutt's artwork and say it looks anywhere near the quality of Tech's stuff? Prozak's cd is the exception, and then it seems the other artist get even less promo attention then tech gets

4. Tech has the midwest on lock, touring especially, we get that...so why are you still spending 90% of your time there? Why not do a tour of the east and south? same thing goes for promo distribution, seems like the midwest is still the focus, which is great if your goal is to be the midwest biggest artist, but id like to think Trav and Tech want to be bigger then that

5. im all about fuck the industry, but you gotta play ball a little bit, and its clear that its not all FTI anyway, Fontana or [some PR firm according to Josh Huffine] basically told Tech not to use the original cover for Everready...so if your willing to compromise the overall vision of a major release why do you refuse to follow the [proven] industry schedule of single-video-album release? Sickology is supposed to come out in March, right now id think Strange would prioritize their resources and focus on picking out a gem for a single and plan a video around it

ive already said that Matic, George Zelaya, and XV should be on the label..so i wont go there

Feb 12, 2008
I have heard someone say on here that strange made 30 million last year. Last year no music came out so it was not on the artists. I am guessing that that is their highest grossing year because Strange has steadily grown larger over the last couple of years (it might be just me but I think so). I am wondering where that 30 million went. Maybe a couple million on tours. I can not think of anything that Strange could have spent 30 million on.

It's pretty safe to say that Strange has a very healthy bank account and are letting it sit in there to gain interest. I agree that Travis is the one holding this movement back. Sure Killer was a step up they got some big names on the album, but it all comes down to promotion. Even if you have a dedicated fan base in an area you still have to promote in that area.

I can not complain about all this waiting because I have only been a fan for 2-3 years. In order for Tech to get out there I want to see promotion in all areas of the States for Sickology, albums on every shelf in the States, an actual video on MTV, just put one mainstream song on your album and push the shit out of it to radio, huge names on the next album (no bullshit out right now but still mainstream acknowledged people ie. Eminem, Cham, Ludacris, get T-pain on a hook, even Jay-Z like Tech mentioned would be fine.)

Just one of these names would sell some more albums. I'm just rambling and pissed now so take it however Trav and tech need to talk.

Sep 10, 2004
www.cdbaby.com
as far as i'm concerned... Tech is and has been the hardest rapper out there for a long time now... i'm gonna buy and listen to his shit regardless, as long as he's still comin hard... i'd like to see him blow up and take over the game and open MTV and BET's eyes to what real rap is, but i'm not gonna sit and complain about the decision making going on at Strange... thats their label and they have the right to make whatever decisions they want... no i don't see any promo out, and no i can't find any S & S or Kutt albums in stores around here... but i can still find them on the net, so its not like i don't have any access to the music... Tech is a grown ass man and he doesn't need me telling him on a forum what kind of business decisions he needs to make... as a fan i just listen to and appreciate the music that Strange does give us... its not my job to worry about whats going on in Travis' office... thats their label that they built from the ground up... not to knock anyone elses opinion, because we are all entitled to one, i'm just stating how i feel...

Nov 14, 2002
Tech knows if he really wanted to blow up, he could at any point. Like he says fuck the industry....He doesnt want to be on Mtv every second like bitch lil wayne n shit.
If you believe that, you're an idiot. Besides the obvious point that Tech would love to be played 24 hours a day 7 days a week if he could, the FTI thing was a marketing campaign. FTI was just a song. The idea of the FTI "movement" (according to Strange) was a success. Yet you haven't seen any free downloads on Tech's site since then, have you?

How are you gonna believe in that FTI shit they fed us with, when Tech's got the song "Why you ain't call me" whinin' in a chorus to industry kats that they never put him on a tour or gave him a feature on an album?

Come on man.

Feb 9, 2006
to me, selling over 1 million albums independently is success
Not when it takes you 10 fuckin years to do it....

I pretty much feel everything you guys are sayin. No it doesnt matter if Tech ever makes it, because like some of you said its his career not ours. It pisses us off to see Tech not make it just because we know how good he is and how much the rest of the world could benefit in seein a real mother fucker on the screen puttin real shit out.

But if Tech doesnt give a fuck and is too damn stubborn to do the shit he needs to do to get his shit out there for everyone to hear. Well thats fine thats his choice to go that route. But what starts to piss me off is when he starts bitching about it in interviews and songs... That video of him on the bus u could use as a perfect example. Talkin about how he has to give DJ's n shit money to get his shit played, which he doesnt feel he should because they should just recognize real shit and just play it cuz its good. Well WELCOME TO THE REAL FUCKIN WORLD TECH. Havent you noticed how greedy people are now a days?! How many times have u been fucked over in your life by greedy people? Dozens im sure, why the fuck would a guy gettin 10 g'z to play some dudes shit just slap ur shit on for free? Thats just gonna piss off everyone else who paid for their shit to get put on. It would be really great if we lived in a perfect world where real recognize real, but we DONT.

So if you arent ready to play ball with the big timers than quite bitching about how you aint makin it. Ur not makin it because you wont allow yourself to. I dont want Tech to change who he is to become big, shit aint worth it. But Strange aint willing to promote their artists like they should be and they arent willing to cut the check to the people who are gonna get em in the public eye than fine, dont and continue puttin out sicc ass music and keep doin your thing. But you cant bitch about shit that your doin to yourself.

Yes the industry is a fuckin machine and they dictate whats on and whats hot, they arent gonna change that shit for you. There are hundreds of artists out there strugglin just like Tech is and until your willing to bend a lil and do what you gotta do to get in mainstream then ur gonna be goin in circles just like dude said... People cant just guess when to come lookin for your shit, put sum fuckin promo shit out, get sum songs on the radio and get ur fuckin videos on tv. CUT THE FUCKIN CHECK TECH you will get back so much more than you put in...

Oct 25, 2006
Not when it takes you 10 fuckin years to do it....

I pretty much feel everything you guys are sayin. No it doesnt matter if Tech ever makes it, because like some of you said its his career not ours. It pisses us off to see Tech not make it just because we know how good he is and how much the rest of the world could benefit in seein a real mother fucker on the screen puttin real shit out.

But if Tech doesnt give a fuck and is too damn stubborn to do the shit he needs to do to get his shit out there for everyone to hear. Well thats fine thats his choice to go that route. But what starts to piss me off is when he starts bitching about it in interviews and songs... That video of him on the bus u could use as a perfect example. Talkin about how he has to give DJ's n shit money to get his shit played, which he doesnt feel he should because they should just recognize real shit and just play it cuz its good. Well WELCOME TO THE REAL FUCKIN WORLD TECH. Havent you noticed how greedy people are now a days?! How many times have u been fucked over in your life by greedy people? Dozens im sure, why the fuck would a guy gettin 10 g'z to play some dudes shit just slap ur shit on for free? Thats just gonna piss off everyone else who paid for their shit to get put on. It would be really great if we lived in a perfect world where real recognize real, but we DONT.

So if you arent ready to play ball with the big timers than quite bitching about how you aint makin it. Ur not makin it because you wont allow yourself to. I dont want Tech to change who he is to become big, shit aint worth it. But Strange aint willing to promote their artists like they should be and they arent willing to cut the check to the people who are gonna get em in the public eye than fine, dont and continue puttin out sicc ass music and keep doin your thing. But you cant bitch about shit that your doin to yourself.

Yes the industry is a fuckin machine and they dictate whats on and whats hot, they arent gonna change that shit for you. There are hundreds of artists out there strugglin just like Tech is and until your willing to bend a lil and do what you gotta do to get in mainstream then ur gonna be goin in circles just like dude said... People cant just guess when to come lookin for your shit, put sum fuckin promo shit out, get sum songs on the radio and get ur fuckin videos on tv. CUT THE FUCKIN CHECK TECH you will get back so much more than you put in...
That is EXACTLY what I've been trying to say Theezy, EXACTLY.

Aug 5, 2008
In the end, what truly matters is the music.
No one is fucking with Tech.
Very true...

I read this whole thread, everyone makes a good point, some more than others( not saying who) but personality I like the fact that Tech is still so called " underground #1 rapper " or whatever they call him now... I love the fact that when people ask me who my fav artist is, I mention tech, they dont know who he is... or they say he sang that I'm a player song" right? Than I show them his other songs and I turn them into tech fans.. not saying selling 1million records is nothing but, lets face it, hes part of the jugglao's clang he sealed his fate... he will always be underground, he will never be a Jay Z even though IMO he tops all other rappers...

and one the touring thing, I really feel like he has to travel the Midwest cuz thats where he started from and he's doesnt want to let his hardcore fans down... unlike Metallica or Green Day for example... but I'm cool with whatever.. underground or being popular, #1 video on TRL.. I will always be a fan of his and listen to him everyday!

JOK3R187

Ferocious Mackadoshis
Jun 17, 2005
*yawn's*

I cosign AZ420, INSB and Theezy more so than most as they took some of the points right out of my mouth meaning I ain't gonna state the obvious/ what's already been said and at the moment I can't be fucked getting into this with a detailed theoretical approach

the underground = tech's playground - we all know that

the obvious is tech needs to focus on branching out his product into the mainstream, which has been mentioned and discussed numerous times before... a lack of promotion and NO video rotation has most to do with this

A video (at least) should've been out PRIOR to the release of Killer as I and a lot of mothafuckas have been sayin' for the longest... as for the rest I think a lot of this fall's in the structure of the decisions and business of T.O. more so than tech himself

Sep 30, 2002
I think this thread is a joke. Look Tech was not signed to this label, he is the 50% partner and just as much of a decision maker as Travis, he is actually probably more of a decision maker than you guys think. I got Promo for Skat and Snugs album a month before it came out and I am here in Phoenix. Travis has been a business man for most of his life, he is good at it so yeah he handles the majority of the business, but he never does anything without running it by Tech first just like partners are supposed to do. The man is a friend of mine and you guys take this shit much more personally than even I do and I would love to see him get what he really deserves. This Strange music thing is a success already and I am sure if Tech said "hey Trav lets throw a mill into a video" it would probably happen. Its great that you guys care as much as you do, but you don't know enough to really know where any blame if any should fall.