Roger's Sound (Talk Box)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 4, 2005
The reason behind the clarity is simply replacing your voice with the sound of the keyboard... what you are hearing is Roger's sound but coming out of someone else mouth, you simply talk or sings what you want to express but put emotion and attitude into it. This also contributes to how it sound ultimately... so what you hear is the sound and not my voice, Mr. Strike 1... hahaha

Apr 17, 2005
It does sound like you were using your voice for just a sec there. It wouldn't matter anyway if there were music behind it you would never hear it. What is your thoughts on Bosko's sound he uses. I think it is cool because he has his own signature sound. How do you feel about that.

Jul 4, 2005
I haven't heard much of BOSKO'S sound but from the few songs I have heard of him... he sounded froggy and nasally... and fighting the tube with his tongue... like instead of talkboxing out the mouth hahah it's coming out his nose haha but I've heard alot of talkboxers through the years and they all seem to be missing something in their approach to it. So my advice to them is: don't play the sound just with your mouth cause IT IS a mouth-throat thing you know hahaha :cheeky:

So Bosko has his own signature sound hmmm... is there somewhere on the internet I can hear more of him to voice a better opinion???

Apr 17, 2005
MisterGroove said:
I haven't heard much of BOSKO'S sound but from the few songs I have heard of him... he sounded froggy and nasally... and fighting the tube with his tongue... like instead of talkboxing out the mouth hahah it's coming out his nose haha but I've heard alot of talkboxers through the years and they all seem to be missing something in their approach to it. So my advice to them is: don't play the sound just with your mouth cause IT IS a mouth-throat thing you know hahaha :cheeky:

So Bosko has his own signature sound hmmm... is there somewhere on the internet I can hear more of him to voice a better opinion???
The best place to really hear him displayed is on E-40's Charlie Hustle album. If you listen to when Bosko first started using the talk-box and now you can hear the improvment but he still uses his own sound. I think everyone wants to sound like Roger but I like the fact that some people think outside the talk-box and try new sounds and patches to see what they come up with. I really dig your sound. I understand Mark 7 you are no slouch either. I remember when you first got that dx100 a few years back. Have you put it on anything yet?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Mr.Strike 1 said:
The best place to really hear him displayed is on E-40's Charlie Hustle album. If you listen to when Bosko first started using the talk-box and now you can hear the improvment but he still uses his own sound. I think everyone wants to sound like Roger but I like the fact that some people think outside the talk-box and try new sounds and patches to see what they come up with. I really dig your sound. I understand Mark 7 you are no slouch either. I remember when you first got that dx100 a few years back. Have you put it on anything yet?[/QUOTE

my question is that a signature sound in bosko cause he is trying to be diferent or is it that he is trying to duplicate the roger sound and thats it.Me personally the only other talkbox i like in the industry is teddy riley,quik,is o.k. battlecat is o.k,

Jul 4, 2005
I like Roger Troutman (of course) but I also like his nephew Rufus Troutman III CD "No Compromise" it's gospel with the talkbox which is a interesting twist to the game of talkboxing... he is very good... I also like Troy "Boxx" Mason he has a CD too titled "What's N Da Boxx" which is ALL talkbox... and he does a good job with his version of "HEARTBREAKER".

The ones I don't particularly listen to much of are (but have heard there stuff off and on):
DJ Quik
Teddy Riley
Magic (of NB Ridaz)
Bosko
DJ Snoop (he talkbox is in French, so I didn't understand nothing he said with it haha)

I have Roger Troutman Jr.'s CD "The Second Coming" he has a interesting sound that very different from Roger, Sr. but I dig where he's coming from with his new approach on it.

My view of things is, everyone is doing their best with the whole talkbox thing and I have nothing but respect for all who choose to play it but just keep in mind that its not a easy over night type of thing to learn... takes time as with all things being learned. But the most important thing about it is, just have fun with it and give your song what it needs to be listened too.

Peace :classic:

Apr 17, 2005
This whole thread has inspired me to practice more than once or twice a month. I guess I should make more time for this. I am glad to see that there are so many people that are into talkboxing.
@50cal I am not sure what Bosko was trying to do when he came up with his sound but I like that fact that he does not sound like Roger. I know that no one can really sound like Roger but that it what everyone strives to sound like.
Quik does a real nice job but he also has his own twist to the sound as well. I think Quik does a lot more harmony with his where as Bosko may only do two tracks or so with his sound.
I have never really heard Battle Cat do actual talkboxing he was more just as an effect there may be some songs I have not heard though so if you know of some let me know so I can check him out.

Apr 25, 2002
DJ Quik was friends with Roger, and learned from the man himself. Playing the talkbox is definately an art and I applaud anyone who is able to put their own twist on it and have it sound good.

Sep 8, 2005
Im currently producing my own tracks, & i was wondering what the price range is on to buy a talkbox, because i want to get that vibe on some of the tracks im producing.

Jul 4, 2005
I build talkboxes and they are professional built too... it's called the Golden Voice Talkbox and it can give you the sound you seek. I have samples of it posted on here for you to download... if you like what you hear hit me up and I will set you up with the goods. I can give you all the details about it once you contact me, you won't be disappointed either. I also play the talkbox too in a similar style as Roger's... so you can hit me up on maybe recording something withcha too.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
MisterGroove said:
I build talkboxes and they are professional built too... it's called the Golden Voice Talkbox and it can give you the sound you seek. I have samples of it posted on here for you to download... if you like what you hear hit me up and I will set you up with the goods. I can give you all the details about it once you contact me, you won't be disappointed either. I also play the talkbox too in a similar style as Roger's... so you can hit me up on maybe recording something withcha too.
i SHOULD HOOK YOU UP WITH 2 SLIKK RIKK OF SAN DIEGO HE PRODUCED THA INFAMOUS EASTTRIPPN C.D., iTS FUNNY CAUSE WHEN ME AND YOU WAS TALKIN ABOUT CERETAIN INDIVIDUALS YOU SAID THEY HAD NO SOUL,AND ALSO PUT IT ON THIS THREAD,RIKK SAYS THE SAME THING ABOUT PRODUCERS NOT HAVING NO SOUL..HA HA HA HA..iM GONNA GET THAT AMP YOU RECOMEND AND THEN STACK A LIL CHANGE AND GET THAT TALKBOX YOU MAKE, AND THE VIDEO,THEN pRACTICE IS ALL I WILL EVER NEED eXCEPT FOR SOME SOUL IN MY BONES...fOR NOW iM GONNA STICK WITH MY HEIL AND FRONTMAN AMP,THE NEW PATCH IS THE TRUTH CAUSE I PLAY BOTH PATCHES AND COMPARE AND THIS GIVES ME HOPE, THE OTHER ALWAYS HAD ME SCRATCHIN MY HEAD WONDERING WHAT I WAS MISSING,iTS FUNNY ALL THE INTERNET SEARCHES OVER THE YEARS IN SEARCH OF THE TRUTH, i NO LONGER SEARCH..iVE FOUND THE HIDDEN TEMPLE WITH SECRET CHAMBER WHERE THE SHAOLIN MONKS ARE GUARDING THE SECRET, MASTER, MASTER, TAKE ME TO THE TEMPLE SO i CAN STUDY TALKBOXIN i CANT WAIT TIL YOUR DVD DROPS

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
hey i was listening to the mr stryke sample you played and at the end around 21 secs you play a lil melody,post up a 2 bar melody like that,so I can sample that,Ive tried but I need to get my chops up
How far are you from finishing the dvd,like i said you can record it on a camcorder lil dvc tape and I will buy it,any format

Jul 4, 2005
I can do some more suited for what you want but let's talk on Yahoo Messenger about it playa... and the DVD lessons is in the works!

Here is something I did to kinda help those out with the clarity issues with their talkboxes... it's only a sample of me explaining something about clarity and me fooling around on the talkbox just to demonstrate the point of the audio recording... check it...

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3LPH564QJOF4T1GPNZ7KGFO3EZ

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
MisterGroove said:
I can do some more suited for what you want but let's talk on Yahoo Messenger about it playa... and the DVD lessons is in the works!

Here is something I did to kinda help those out with the clarity issues with their talkboxes... it's only a sample of me explaining something about clarity and me fooling around on the talkbox just to demonstrate the point of the audio recording... check it...

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3LPH564QJOF4T1GPNZ7KGFO3EZ
My messenger(actaully computer still is buggin) but damn youve already done more then anyone could hope for and if anyone ever picked up a talkbox they would understand what im sayin,but as long as you have my email you have a guaranteed sale of dvd

Where is stryke 1 and his banshee.eeeeeeheehhhhehehehe.I thought there would be some friendly comp.

mister groove are you gonna enter the beat contest in the southern cal board,nemo is gonna set it up,I think you should do somethin.

Jul 4, 2005
man hahhaha that guy at that website with the speaker and the ceral bowl is funny... doesn't look like any talkbox I know of... hahaha more like a very very low tech ghetto made talkbox... I would call it a toilet bowl box haha cause it looks like it belongs in the toilet in the back, you know that big ball thing that floats in the water...hahaha very funny looking talkbox. :cheeky:

May 12, 2002
www.glmc.gemm.com
funny thing is, I'm real tempted to take out the speaker of my marshall amp, jump over to homebase and get some tubing and duct tape. The quality of his demo doesn't sound very clean, but it beats $130! It'll be like a pre-trial, a talkbox to train with, then swoop one if u got the gift!