Roger's Sound (Talk Box)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
a friend brought his banshee over, and I have the dunlop heil,I use a fender frontman amp and at that time used the yamaha dx100 we did a side by side comparison and he took the banshee back

Jul 4, 2005
If for some reason you can't obtain a Yamaha Dx100, there is an alternative: Yamaha TX81z FM Generator Sound Module. This is the rack version of the Yamaha Dx27/100 and will work fine with any midi keyboard controller. I suggest to you the following boards for your future TX81z.

M-Audio Radium 49
Emu Xboard 49
CME UF5
Alesis Photon 49
Evolution Mk449c

All can be found here... http://www.floridamusicco.com the TX81z can usually be found on ebay, someone is always putting one up for auction.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Is this the amp you have?if so I see why you got it its small.Is it cause it doesnt have the speaker like the frontman?What made you even try this one out?Im having trouble wit the picture It looks like a tabletop about two rack spaces thick and a foot from left to right
three inputs on the left 6 knobs tyhen a big knob
If you recomend this over my frontman Im a get it when i see it

Jul 4, 2005
Yes, what you described is the PA amp I use to power the talkbox. It's small, weighs about 10 lbs and easy to carry around if you're doing gigs.

Radio Shack sold the model I have for years (OPTIMUS MPA-50) but the current version of this PA amp has been re-designed and re-titled "Radio Shack 40w" item #32-2054. But PYRAMID has the same unit but added color to the front display (blue) and they call this model Pyramid PA205 and is the same as the Radio Shack 40w.

Just different name brands for the same pa amp.

@DJ MARK7:
I have 3 talkbox lesson video shorts (snippets) available that show my hand striking notes and you can hear what I'm playing... I made them to demonstrate how to play along with someone such as Stevie Wonder on the talkbox (which he is using in the snippet), the other 2 are of More Bounce and Superman. But I'm working on more of them but theses are merely little snippets made using Windows Movie Maker and a webcam.

And... you can get a talkbox from me at any time just let me know when and how you wanna pay for it and I'll get you one ASAP cause they are selling like hotcakes so you better get your grub on playal... hahaha

Apr 17, 2005
MisterGroove said:
The Banshee... I have been told and have heard people on it who don't sound good at all due to the fact it's hard to get the right tone out of it and the built in ampege isn't that large I think only 5 or 10 watts max. For talkboxing you need a bigger wattage value something like 40w-100w and with a 3 band EQ build in (Bass, Mid, Tre) for shaping the sound further.
I use the banshee and have not had any problems out of since I had it. The sound is really all in how you tweak the patch. I don't do anything live so it is fine for recording. I like the fact that if I have to go to a studio I don't have to pack up an amp and all those cables. I just pack the talkbox and bounce. I would put the banshee against pretty much any talkbox out there. It is just all in how well you can use it.

Jul 4, 2005
Mr. Strike 1

You care to place a bet about the sound of your Banshee against my talkbox sound...? I'm sure you will notice a major difference. The Banshee's built in AMP which is about a 5 or 10watts isn't powerful enough to give off a good sound no matter the patch you tweak and use through it. That talkbox just isn't worth someone's money any more. I've heard the Banshee capabilities and it ain't good... if I was grading the Banshee I would give it a D. But I would love to hear your sound on the Banshee... hit me up! :cool:

Apr 17, 2005
MisterGroove said:
Mr. Strike 1

You care to place a bet about the sound of your Banshee against my talkbox sound...? I'm sure you will notice a major difference. The Banshee's built in AMP which is about a 5 or 10watts isn't powerful enough to give off a good sound no matter the patch you tweak and use through it. That talkbox just isn't worth someone's money any more. I've heard the Banshee capabilities and it ain't good... if I was grading the Banshee I would give it a D. But I would love to hear your sound on the Banshee... hit me up! :cool:
Like I said I only use it to record so based on the mic it will give you a good sound. My partner in crime has a heil and we battle from time to time. I guess it is all in what you want your sound to be like. I don't have anything recent to post up for you right now. You do have a really good sound. Have you seen that S-talker talkbox. There is one made just for the synth but I haven't heard much about it.

Jul 4, 2005
I know all about the S-Talker Talkbox and I even know what's inside the box and how it sounds... the keyboard version of this talkbox is merely the same as the original except it has K-Type stamped on it hahahaha. Its just another way for that company to make money off thoses who use only a keyboard with it... and wanna do the Roger thing... they know what's up there with Roger/Zapp fans but you can use a keyboard with any talkbox hahaha... they got their nerve to say its for keyboard too hahaha...

Mr. Strike 1, come on yahoo messenger I will give you a LIVE demonstration and I could also hear your sound as well... my yahoo screen name is in my profile here.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Mr.Strike 1 said:
I use the banshee and have not had any problems out of since I had it. The sound is really all in how you tweak the patch. I don't do anything live so it is fine for recording. I like the fact that if I have to go to a studio I don't have to pack up an amp and all those cables. I just pack the talkbox and bounce. I would put the banshee against pretty much any talkbox out there. It is just all in how well you can use it.
I disagree,I did a side by side comparison with same keyboard and patch,and there was a big difference,but if it worksfor you thats all that matters

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Mr.Strike 1 said:
Like I said I only use it to record so based on the mic it will give you a good sound. My partner in crime has a heil and we battle from time to time. I guess it is all in what you want your sound to be like. I don't have anything recent to post up for you right now. You do have a really good sound. Have you seen that S-talker talkbox. There is one made just for the synth but I haven't heard much about it.
homie you soundin like napolean dynamite right now.."I only use it to record" I dont have anything recent" shit if you got the set up record right now,and post, or post somethin old

Insane mexican yeah a tube will have an effect, I made mine from different size tubings

Apr 17, 2005
50cal said:
homie you soundin like napolean dynamite right now.."I only use it to record" I dont have anything recent" shit if you got the set up record right now,and post, or post somethin old

Insane mexican yeah a tube will have an effect, I made mine from different size tubings
It has been quite a while since I have done anything. The songs that I have been on were when I first started using the talk-box and I have improved since then. The last thing I recorded was like 3 years ago for some local cat. When I am able to dig that shit up I will post it. I don't live and breath music anymore so I don't have time to just mess with this daily. But I will let you check me out.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
:knockout: :knockout: :siccness:
MisterGroove said:
Mr. Strike 1

I got something for ya ears... check it out playa...

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1L7XT16AY8ZJ92D1GEW0QJJBLP

Enjoy! Peace!
I aint gonna lie first and foremost you should change your name to the D.O.C. cause no one can do it better. Damn and you used stryke 1s name and you could hear every word and syllable.I would like to hear a banshee do that.I dont think its gonna happen.So you say you have some video,when you gonna drop that shit make a dvd, or shit do it on a camcorder,Ill buy the tapes,dvd whatever.Id like to see alll aspects from programming,any tech things on the talkbox,the amp,the mic, and mic pre-amp e.q if used. :knockout: anything,and everything you wanted to know about the talkbox fingering and use of pitch bend and modulation.When is your C.d. coming out,you have any songs completed,

Jul 4, 2005
I'm glad you mentioned the DVD video lessons cause I am working on just that for all to see about the whole talkbox (recording it, setting it up, etc...). I'm also working on my own CD presently so I should be droppin something on here soon with the talkbox as the feature. I just have to piece the DVD together but I can give you a one on one lesson easy if you also prefer that too. But a DVD with be perfect for anyone wanted to learn it... cause like any other instrument it takes practice and some soul and rhythm in ya bones to pull it off in a way that it sounds funky, clear and easy to your ears.

Apr 17, 2005
That was really clear sounding. Whenever you say "He is gonna play the talkbox to show you how to do it" it sounds like you are also talking with your mouth is that the case or am I hearing things? I would also be interested in that DVD you guys are talking about. While we are on DVD's does anyone have a DVD of Sinbad's Summer Jam with Roger on it? I have looked for that for a while and have not come across it yet.