Is anybody else tired of people sayin hyphy is like crunk?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 16, 2006
seriously tho..how could you explain to any outsider the shit that really goes down here. in the bay..we does this hyphy thing naturally and we don't usually gotta explain what we're doin or why we do it..we just do it. IMO I really think that you have to live here or be exposed to it for a while to truly understand what hyphy really is. with this whole hyphy craze or movement or whatever you wanna call it...people that don't know about it are askin about it..n if u were to try to explain to them exactly HOW to be hyphy for the first time..shit would just fly right over theire head n miss completely. but if u say its kinda like crunk..then they have an idea of what it is. that's why crunk is compared to hyphy all the time...for people who don't live in the bay or don't live the hyphy lifestyle. its just a way for them to kinda understand.

Mar 20, 2006
DaSlimReaper said:
It's hella funny how these niggas probably just started using the word in 2006 or late 2005 and swear to God they know what they're talking about. It's funny how no one "really" from Oakland agrees with comments like this, just the suburbian kids who weren't there when the word was first being used and just heard it on the radio.
okay, this is a thread about people comparing hyphy MUSIC & crunk MUSIC, not a thread about the meaning of the 2 words. obviously the word "hyphy" itself pre-dates its use in the music, & means something different than what hyphy music is...but we're talkin bout tha music here, so fuck all tha definitions.

the truth is, hyphy music & crunk music share alot of similarities. BUT, hyphy music is more uptempo (happier sounding) than crunk, the subject matter covers different topics (sometimes), the lyrics are generally less violent (with exceptions). both hyphy music & crunk music are mainly about catchy beats, & catchy lyrics. "catchy" does NOT mean good. IMO, hyphy music is pretty weak lyrically. its aimed at highschool kids & mainstream audiences.

the bay's music scene changed its image to make money, no doubt about that. now we got a buncha kids (& people who had never listened to bay or underground rap before they heard this hyphy shit a few years ago) runnin this BART forum, all because they did a google search on tha Federation or Keak or Mistah Fab, or whoever, & this site came up. i'd guess about 70% of hyphy/new bay fan's on here fall into that category.

anyway, i gotta go, so i dont have time to finish my thought...

Jan 17, 2006
the words r HELLA different....period

the music iz only similar in da bassline....other than the bass, da songs sounf NOTHING alike

ive never heard a mistah fab song and thought "damn, dis shit iz hella fuckin crunk"

Feb 16, 2006
DaSlimReaper said:
Yea, but you have to admit that the actual Bay Area rap scene/cuture was the selling point, the music isn't all that to be honest (to be having this big of a buzz), they're trying to sell the culture.

The music its self is more uptempo and has better lyrics for the most part. Yea, Lil Jon produced both big "national" hits first, but honestly, he didn't create either sound dawg. The first actual Crunk hit was by "The Iconz", not Lil Jon. And crediting Lil Jon for hyphy is crazy, all he did was produce a track, Rick Rock and others been following this format. Do you honestly think that Rick Rock drew inspiration directly from Lil Jon when he made his first hyphy beat? I doubt it, he was probably indirectly influenced but he didn't bite no one elses sound. The heavy drums have been used by Too Short for years, and I had dreds way back in 97! White T's and NIKEs in 98, waaay before the South made it popular, you should know about that. I hate these comparisons because you can compare any form of hip hop to the other, it's all music. None of it is the same and none of it is different as far as music, that's a dead issue. Our sake of identity is at stake though as far as a unique culture, and these people who perpetuate this myth are trying to destroy what we've created out here that quick. People really need to delve into this Bay culture, check the history, and then decide what came from who and what came from what. We're too secluded in the North/West region of the country to really be influenced by Atlanta that much, shit urks me. Niggas is really tryna say we bitin when it is so far from the truth.
I agree

jr916

Sicc OG
Jun 3, 2006
fa sho that crunk shit be in the club throwin bos and shit all sweaty and shit you dont see fools caving in the roof while throwin bo"s

Oct 28, 2003
Well heres the real difference CRUNK moves units and goes platinum and HYPHY doesn't. Industry and impact wise it's like compairing a merrit college to Harvard. I love the Bay and some of what hyphy, but honestly it doesn't really compair on alot of levels. Truhfully Hyphy would HOPE to get to crunks statis.