Is anybody else tired of people sayin hyphy is like crunk?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 7, 2006
if u ever watch crunk they just move around and psuh mufukas...we dance and go dumb to me thats hella different and the music is way different...im just sayin if we like "yaeh its just like crunk" then eveybody is gon think they heard it b4 since we say they like cuzins...we already hella different than the rest of the world so lets do it to the max

May 12, 2002
dope.st
It's very irritating overseas, all the hip hop squares think (and dismiss) Hyphy as being crunk, and all the music and hip hop writers and magazines, who like to sound real knowledgable, always name check crunk when intro'ing Hyphy.

I hate that shit. If MTV can move beyond the comparison and recognise the distinction (which they have this year), every other fool needs to slap themselves if they can't do that too. Hyphy is more than just "like crunk".

I think for most people outside of this, it's easier to compare to crunk than try and use their musical brain and actually describe the music. SMH at music journalists that need to reference another genre in order to describe a sound.

Jan 31, 2006
www.MUZiKiNGZ.com
Krunk waz 1st...Right?... There Will Always B That Comparison..
Some niggaz come OG wit it...They Know Dat
..But alot of niggaz doin'em south beatz..

& when fonz sign wit the main Krunk nigga..
what u think people gone compare u 2..?

B happy u gettin airplay..even though i know ya been deservin it

May 13, 2006
Hyphy= Crunk they both are the same...and its funny people talkin about squares(probably one themselves)If you cant tell the difference you a square? what ya need a special decoder ring from the set to be down?This is music to be enjoyed by all....when yall aint getting airplay the complaints are always-we aint getting no airplay-they got no love for the bay.Now you get a lil airplay and no one else can be cool enough to listen to it,talk about it.So what if they make the comparison? does that change the fact that your region is in the spotlight? take advantage of it,instead ofcomplaining like some school girls.If you really want to do your research you will realize why people compare the two....Aint nothing on some original shit...people been getting hyphy for years across the U.S.-It just wasnt called hyphy...most people who are acting up on here are probably under the age of 20 years old

D

DaSlimReaper

Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
It must suck livin in denial....
Nigga you're a hater and you ain't even from Oakland! All these out of town niggas tryna define what hyphy is has been killing me latley. We always knew what Crunk was and no body in Oakland ever used it as a word to replace Crunk, it's a totally different word that used to have a different meaning (and still does on the streets) than this bullshit mainstream definition. Crunk is crazy and drunk, period! Hyphy has always been uncontrolled anger, boldness, being hella hot, doin too much, loosing your mind, it's different dawg, you're looking at it from an outsider's view. It's way more shit that goes with hyphy than Crunk. If you're in a riot, and you start throwing rocks at 5-0, that's hyphy, not Crunk. Same thing with ghost riding, thizzing, our way of dancing, fighting, our way of driving, sideshows, etc.. You sound stupid trying to limit our culture to just "Crunk".. This word should of never went mainstream I swear, coz now the nerds swear that they know what they're talking about when we talk about what used to be a street term (Hyphy).

TROLL said:
co-sign..

they're all jus diffrent names for the same shit..
Same goes to you. It's hella funny how these niggas probably just started using the word in 2006 or late 2005 and swear to God they know what they're talking about. It's funny how no one "really" from Oakland agrees with comments like this, just the suburbian kids who weren't there when the word was first being used and just heard it on the radio.

TROLL

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2003
DaSlimWeaker said:
Same goes to you. It's hella funny how these niggas probably just started using the word in 2006 or late 2005 and swear to God they know what they're talking about. It's funny how no one from Oakland agrees with comments like this, just the suburbian kids who weren't there when the word was first being used and just heard it on the radio.
only radio i listen too are talkshowz... no muzik. i been listening too bay shit for a looonnnggggg time now
DaSlimWeaker said:
It's funny how no one from Oakland agrees with comments like this,
:eyecross:

well no shit.. refer too CoyOcertos comment u quoted and realize you just helped prove his point alone with that line... of course folx from oakland are gonna disagree..

A quote from messy from the same song in my sig

Messy Marv said:
STOP ALL THAT YIN YANGIN
SHABOOBALOOPY JEYYAYYYAAAAA!!

Oct 28, 2003
You have to blame that on the actual "hyphy kings" like Ric Rock and the Federation. They were in interviews saying "hyphy is the bay's crunk". That's where thie shit really started.

Dec 9, 2005
You can't deny the musical similarities between the two, so get used to the comparisons, because the two are pretty much synonymous at this point

D

DaSlimReaper

RealRich said:
You have to blame that on the actual "hyphy kings" like Ric Rock and the Federation. They were in interviews saying "hyphy is the bay's crunk". That's where thie shit really started.
Yea, well they didn't create hyphy either, they just put a soundtrack to it.. Fuck the music, I'm talking about the word it's self. I won't deny that hyphy and crunk music are similar, in that they are both party music. But the words are in no way synonymous, there is a huge difference in the culture and how the word is used. They exist in two completely different contexts..

D

DaSlimReaper

RealRich said:
Well the PEOPLE outside of the hoods in the Bay are talking about the music.
Not really, XXL printed an article like a month ago where it said that to people outside the Bay, the most appealing part of the hyphy movement is "Ghost riding the whip".. I bullshit you not, and ghost riding is definitely not crunk.

Oct 28, 2003
I don't think the two are the same, but they are linked. Visually the people are damn near twins (with the dreads, white T's...) The music is heavy drums 808's and synth drivin, they are very connected with dances that acompany the scence and LIL JON produced boath trends first big hit songs.

Dec 9, 2005
DaSlimReaper said:
Not really, XXL printed an article like a month ago where it said that to people outside the Bay, the most appealing part of the hyphy movement is "Ghost riding the whip".. I bullshit you not, and ghost riding is definitely not crunk.
Regardless, the music is the reason why Hyphy is even in XXL, or MTV, or BET...

D

DaSlimReaper

MOREBASS said:
Regardless, the music is the reason why Hyphy is even in XXL, or MTV, or BET...
Yea, but you have to admit that the actual Bay Area rap scene/cuture was the selling point, the music isn't all that to be honest (to be having this big of a buzz), they're trying to sell the culture.

RealRich said:
I don't think the two are the same, but they are linked. Visually the people are damn near twins (with the dreads, white T's...) The music is heavy drums 808's and synth drivin, they are very connected with dances that acompany the scence and LIL JON produced boath trends first big hit songs.
The music its self is more uptempo and has better lyrics for the most part. Yea, Lil Jon produced both big "national" hits first, but honestly, he didn't create either sound dawg. The first actual Crunk hit was by "The Iconz", not Lil Jon. And crediting Lil Jon for hyphy is crazy, all he did was produce a track, Rick Rock and others been following this format. Do you honestly think that Rick Rock drew inspiration directly from Lil Jon when he made his first hyphy beat? I doubt it, he was probably indirectly influenced but he didn't bite no one elses sound. The heavy drums have been used by Too Short for years, and I had dreds way back in 97! White T's and NIKEs in 98, waaay before the South made it popular, you should know about that. I hate these comparisons because you can compare any form of hip hop to the other, it's all music. None of it is the same and none of it is different as far as music, that's a dead issue. Our sake of identity is at stake though as far as a unique culture, and these people who perpetuate this myth are trying to destroy what we've created out here that quick. People really need to delve into this Bay culture, check the history, and then decide what came from who and what came from what. We're too secluded in the North/West region of the country to really be influenced by Atlanta that much, shit urks me. Niggas is really tryna say we bitin when it is so far from the truth.