Inception

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
My brother is like you in regards to being a "movie snob (no offense)".....he is critical of EVERYTHING. He said Inception was "a bit disappointing". Interesting that you had a much more positive reaction to it.

I was going to see this weekend, but I couldn't justify spending 2 hours in a theater when it was 80 degrees all weekend. I opted to go out on my buddies boat instead. But, I will find the time to see this sooner or later.

Apr 25, 2002
Inception Good movie. Clearly the best of the summer. I saw this in true IMAX and enjoyed it that way, but it probably doesn’t need to be IMAX to get the experience. I enjoyed the acting and the costumes the most. The score was a bit much, running constantly, but was at its best when it needed to be. Great example of how to use CGI and not fuck up the movie. I don’t know if it is just how joseph gordon levitt plays roles like this, but I never trust him and felt like the whole movie he was going to stab someone in the back. Maybe he’s a great actor. Or maybe I just sense he’s a phony – which would make him a bad actor(my inclination from everything I’ve seen him in). He was better in Brick(his high point thus far) than in this. DeCaprio was good, but he’s been better. He seems to make wise choices of scripts and directors so I think he’ll get better as he gets older as has been the case up through this point. I feel like this movie could get either better or worse with multiple viewings which I plan on doing. It was a bit of a hodge podge of genres and the plot seemed to get convoluted, but . . . As it stands right now I’ll give it a 3.75 out of 5. In the context of summer of 2010 movies it gets 10 out of 5.

Oh and my feeling after Inglorious Basterds was right . . . this movie was waaaaaay better.

Apr 25, 2002
Well I'm tempering my critique a bit probably because I was happy to see a good movie in the theater for a change. I had high expectations, but didn't let them get away from me. I can see how it could be disappointing because it isn't as action packed as Dark Knight, but not as subliminal and confusing as Momento. My opinion of it will probably change once I watch it again. It isn’t ever going to be a top 10 movie for me or anything, but it was a good movie.

Feb 17, 2006
I think Nolan didn't leave a final answer because Cobb has to live with this question for the rest of his life. His totem, which is supposed to never be handled by anyone else, came from Mal. Additionally, we dont know when he received this, so if it is while he was dreaming or in Limbo, it may be a false totem. Sadly, i am at the point where Nolan saw Cobb's emotional arc more important then specifity in the plot. Cobb may not care if he is dreaming, because he made it back to his kids.

It is a minor copout, but I hope when I watch it again, I can a piece of evidence throughout... I have heard his wedding band correlates to dream state and reality.

May 14, 2002
I think Nolan didn't leave a final answer because Cobb has to live with this question for the rest of his life. His totem, which is supposed to never be handled by anyone else, came from Mal. Additionally, we dont know when he received this, so if it is while he was dreaming or in Limbo, it may be a false totem. Sadly, i am at the point where Nolan saw Cobb's emotional arc more important then specifity in the plot. Cobb may not care if he is dreaming, because he made it back to his kids.

It is a minor copout, but I hope when I watch it again, I can a piece of evidence throughout... I have heard his wedding band correlates to dream state and reality.
I just saw this movie and I also need to still let it boil down. But I also know I need to see it again. To see if I missed something. This is almost always the case. (I saw some breaking bad episodes twice and noticed I missed little things, so with this movie it won't be any different).

But didn't we see Cobb take that totem from the safe in the doll house which was in the house where Mal grew up.
Which was in a dream..

If he got it from there then it would mean everything is a dream.
Since you can take items with you to your dreams (by thinking about it because the memory of the object is in your mind).
But you can't take items from your dreams to the physical world.
So if he got his totem in a dream, he would have been in a dream every time he would use this totem.

But I have seen this movie yesterday and I've had 4 hours of sleep last night and 4 hours that night before so I might be totally wrong here and need to ponder when I can hold my eyes completely open at least...

Jul 27, 2009
nah he didnt take it from the safe, that part was in a dream. he just planted an idea into the totem so his wife would want to leave the dream.

but he got the totem from outside the dream i think because he cant pull the totem out of that dream to the real world

Feb 17, 2006
Good point iaoish. But i dont think we find out where he got his totem from. I always thought Cobb was spinning the totem in Mal's safe, while she was in reality, twisting her understanding of reality. However, why Cobb does this is still confusing for me. I need another viewing, or an explanation of why Cobb was spinning Mal's totem while she was alive.

I also can't accept that when Mal killed herself she was getting out of the dream, she was bat shit crazy, but maybe i am wrong.

@Mcthuggin- lol your last statement doesnt make sense. He got the totem in reality therefore he cant bring it in a dream?

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939234