Zo and k-Mart ready to go from the shoulders...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 10, 2002
Mourning and Martin Nearly Come to Blows at Practice

Published: November 21, 2003

AST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Nov. 20 ? After a draining practice session, Alonzo Mourning and half of the Nets team, mostly second-unit players, were making their way through the final strides of a set of suicide drills, punishment for losing a contest to the rest of the team Thursday at the Champion Center, the team's practice facility. As Mourning trudged to the finish behind his teammates, already unhappy, he heard laughter from the players who were watching.

Advertisement

Mourning snapped in reaction to the frustration of the drills, the team's troubles on the court and the cavalier attitude he has perceived during the Nets' 5-6 start this season. Mourning stalked over to where the players were laughing and, in a profanity-laden diatribe, shouted in part: "This ain't funny. This is about winning."

Richard Jefferson, a third-year forward who was one of the players who were laughing, told Mourning that indeed it wasn't funny, it was "hilarious."

When Kenyon Martin, a fourth-year forward, jumped in by mocking Mourning's recent performance on the court and commenting that Mourning would not have to run if he would improve his rebounding, Mourning attacked Martin's leadership and toughness.

Mourning, who signed with the Nets this summer after kidney disease cost him all of last season and nearly the entire 2000-1 season, told Martin: "At least I'm out there on the court, not in the training room. I'm trying to make the best of my time."

"You can't be a leader in the trainer's room crying, `My ankle, my ankle,' " Mourning added, referring to the sprained ankle that sidelined Martin for five games. Martin responded by mocking Mourning, muttering, "My kidney, my kidney."

Mourning did not immediately react to that comment. But when the players separated into groups for the next part of practice, he suddenly charged toward Martin before being restrained by teammates as he yelled, using more profanity: "What did you say about my kidney? Don't talk about my kidney. I'll put you on your back."

Teammates halted Mourning and kept him and Martin from getting close enough to come to blows. Meanwhile, Coach Byron Scott, who had watched from the far side of the court as the altercation began, stepped in front of Martin and spoke calmly to him.

The practice then resumed with Mourning and Martin not speaking to each other. The Nets' vice president for public relations, Gary Sussman, said later that neither player would be available to reporters.

Mourning had voiced his displeasure on Wednesday with the team's work ethic and attentiveness, traits ingrained in him when he played for Pat Riley on the Miami Heat.

"I didn't expect it to be like this," Mourning, who has never played in the N.B.A. finals, said on Wednesday in reference to the Nets, the Eastern Conference champions the past two seasons. "I thought we'd come out strong and give more effort. Some guys work their whole careers

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
I told yall the Nets aint goin back to the finals!! Their worst move was cutting Mutumbo!! GOT EM!!

May 4, 2002
That kidney disease could kill Zo. There ain't much funny about that. K Mart needs to be kicked in his head a few times.

Apr 25, 2002
Zo needs to quit tryin to act tuff.........we all saw his sorry ass atemp to fight with Larry Johnson.................Martin would fuck his old ass up

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
U always thought Zo was sporry?? U trippin mane!! he was one of the top centers for years before he got sick!! Learn about it!! GOT EM!!!

Grim

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.grim64131.freeservers.com
yeah honestly I did, I have always thought he was a soft ass center, never have liked him...doesnt have anything to do with his sickness, I actually hope he does good now and feel sorry for the guy....but I dont think he was ever all that good

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Yea man he retired, he needs a transplant!! But grim damn mane I dont wanna be funny, but dogg u dont know hoop if u think Mourning was weak when he was in his prime!! he was easily a 20 & 10 guy everynight for the Hornets & Heat!! GOT EM!!!