Zito going to bullpen after 0-6 7.53ERA start

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 11, 2004
http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/...ent_id=2623237&vkey=news_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf
WE WASTED SO MUCH MONEY AND HES BEING A FUCKING BUM

SAN FRANCISCO -- Mike Krukow could have been talking about a member of the Green Berets or a Navy SEAL.

"You get down there and you get the search-and-destroy mentality," Krukow said recently.

The subject, however, wasn't counter-terrorism activity. Krukow was discussing Barry Zito's move to the bullpen, a likely temporary stint that, ideally, will give the struggling left-hander a fresh perspective on pitching's basic truths.

Throw first-pitch strikes. Challenge hitters. Maintain the aggressiveness which, Zito admits, has eluded him all too often while compiling an 0-6 record and a 7.53 ERA. Relievers are less concerned with pacing themselves for a six- or seven-inning outing or setting up hitters, as is the case with starters. Whether they're protecting a lead or entering a lopsided affair, relievers are striving to bring a game to its conclusion. They don't have time to mess around. Zito, although he'll likely make multiple-inning appearances out of the bullpen, can benefit from this mind-set.

Krukow, a 124-game winner in the Major Leagues who's now a Giants broadcaster, recalled being banished to the bullpen in 1987, the year after he finished 20-9 for San Francisco. Krukow emerged from that experience to win his last two starts of the season.

"The last thing they always tell you coming out of the bullpen is, 'Make something happen,'" Krukow said. "That's the attitude that got me back on board, and I think that's going to be the same thing that happens to Barry. Make something happen."

Performing aggressively can help any pitcher, regardless of his role. Why, then, do starters occasionally lose this focus?

"I don't know if I can answer that, but [relieving] just refocuses your objectives out there," said Giants right-hander Brad Hennessey, who has occupied virtually every role on the pitching staff since reaching the Majors in 2004. "I know when I was starting before I went to the 'pen, it was one of my main priorities, but it kind of gets lost in the process -- trying to get deep into the game and keeping the game close. You don't realize, sometimes, how effective it is to be ahead on the count."

If Zito enters a game in the middle of an inning in a tight situation, he'll have no choice but to concentrate on attacking the hitter.
"The last thing they always tell you coming out of the bullpen is, 'Make something happen.' That's the attitude that got me back on board, and I think that's going to be the same thing that happens to Barry. Make something happen."
-- Mike Krukow

"You're coming in with guys on base and you can't get behind [the hitter]. So it just helps you keep your focus on being in the zone," Hennessey said. "That's one of the things I really benefited from in my transition."

Instead of dwelling on his next start, Zito, a thoughtful sort, must simply react to whatever situation he's thrown into as a reliever -- another potential benefit.

"There's a spontaneity to the bullpen that takes away all the pre-thought," Krukow said. "You get the ball on the mound and just start cranking it. I think at this point it'll be something that really helps him."

Zito also will learn to become more energy-efficient, like an LED bulb.

"You don't have 15 minutes to warm up," said left-hander Pat Misch, who'll start Friday's series opener at Philadelphia and has bounced between the rotation and the bullpen. "Sometimes it might be 15 pitches, or 12 or 10."

To shorten one's warmup time, Misch recommended frequent stretching, starting as early as the third inning.

"So you stay loose all the time," he said.

As Yogi Berra allegedly said, you can observe a lot just by watching. As a starter, Zito would spend four days between appearances as a spectator. But without that assurance of an upcoming starting assignment, he might view the game a little differently. This happened to Matt Cain, when the Giants sent him to the bullpen with a 1-5 record and a 7.04 ERA in May 2006, his rookie season. Cain fired two perfect innings at Houston in his only relief appearance, then returned to the rotation by pitching a one-hit shutout at Oakland.

"It helped me a lot," Cain said of his bullpen stint, "because I was so caught up in everything that was going on, just the whole entire atmosphere. I was still new to the big leagues. It made me sit back and watch the game."

Sit back doesn't mean laid back. Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti pointed out that mild-mannered Russ Ortiz, an 18-game winner in 1999, was demoted to the bullpen to begin the season's second half in 2000 after posting a 4-8 mark and a 6.92 ERA. Ortiz regained his starting spot when Joe Nathan injured his shoulder and won seven consecutive games on his way to a 14-12 finish.

"You come back fighting," Righetti said. "If you're a competitive person, which [Zito] is, you find sometimes you need to light a fire one way or another."

Chris Haft is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Blame Giants management and Scott Boras. Zito was mediocre even before he signed with the Giants. His only good season was his Cy Young year; he was going downhill ever since. Now his mind is all fucked since he signed this big ass contract and can't live up to the hype.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

going to the bullpen will not help at all...I can't even think of any situations where they would bring him in...They certainly won't bring him in a 1 or 2 run game so he can come fuck it up for the starter and bringing him in only in blowouts will just be embarrasing for a guy gettin that much money...

either send him to the minors so he can get his confidense up (unless he gets rocked there too) or he gotta start doing everything opposite of what hes doing now coz nothing he doin now is working....

Mar 12, 2005
15 MPH???

so he is throwing 74 MPH now? because he is normally around 89 MPH............last time i saw him he was throwing 83
Before moving across the Bay and Gaining Leg weight, In Oakland his fastball was as high as 92-93, and Consistently 90-91, that's a big difference from his 85-87 MPH fastball he throws now. But LOL @ 15 MPH lost.