Yuk interview

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 15, 2006
www.myspace.com
New Yukmouth Interview from YORAPS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What’s beef? … Beef is when you need two gats to go to sleep” – Notorious B.I.G.

LL Cool J and Canibus. Lil Wayne and Gillie Da Kid. Jay-Z and Jim Jones? The hip-hop battlefield is littered with mean mugs and brutal one-liners, remnants of the lyrical warfare that has been unleashed since the first MC grabbed a mic. Epic battles have ended (or jump-started) many a rapper’s career. How many times have you chosen sides based on whose verses packed more power? Beef is like oxygen - without it - hip-hop would have no fire. At times though, we’ve witnessed that fire burn out of control. So while having a clash that’s featured on the Beef DVD might be good for business - it’s not exactly the safest way for a rapper to shine.

Hmm…so what happens when your beef is blistering enough that the producers don’t just ask you to be in the documentary - they consult you about how it needs to be made? What happens when you’ve had beef so hot that it sizzled for ten years? Well, if you’re Yukmouth, you take all that warfare, put it on wax and drop it like it´s muthaf*#kin’ hot! Since his first smash hit in 1995 (as part of rap duo, The Luniz), Yukmouth has released sixteen albums, acquiring platinum and gold plaques along the way. Whether he’s been solo, teamed with The Regime, or partnering with Killa Klump, C-Bo, or his Luniz partner, Numskull, the Oakland-based rapper has stuck to his lyrical guns. He’s also the CEO of Smoke-A-Lot Records, a role that not every rapper can handle. I caught up with the self-proclaimed trash-talker to discuss his new album, the business side of the rap game, and of course what it really feels like when the beef gets char-broiled.

What is it about hip-hop that makes it so confrontational?

Hip-hop is just a competitive thing. It’s like boxing. Everybody wants to be the best. Everybody wants to be the king. The champ. But that doesn’t mean you’ve got beef with everybody, the competition is about the quality of your music. If you ain’t got hot music, then you ain’t selling. And if you ain’t selling, then it shows in your numbers. Niggas that are selling, they’ve got plaques on the wall.

Still… in terms of beef, some would consider you one of the “masters.” You’ve had some high-profile battles, and yet, you’ve evolved over the years. You’ve settled some on wax, and some off but you’ve handled it without anybody getting killed. How have you survived?

I’ve survived because I’m a lyricist! You can’t kill me with a freestyle. I’m gonna keep coming. I’m not gonna die off. You can’t Kool Moe Dee me, you can’t MC Shan me. I don’t care who your team is, or what label you’re on. It’s like Rocky, man, when he was fighting Apollo Creed. He came back in the last round and knocked Apollo’s ass out, and that’s me. I’m the last one standing, and everybody’s rooting for me. I mean, this Regime thing? It’s like I’ve got a cult behind me. We’ve got connections worldwide. It’s global.

What’s your impression of the crowds outside the US ?

I think they appreciate hip-hop a bit more. Some spots, you feel like you’re Michael Jackson. People touch you and they start passing out and shit, and crying. They sing your song word for word, and they treat you like a fucking super celebrity. A superstar. Here in the States, they’re so used to the shit, and everybody’s trying to be a rapper nowadays. People don’t really appreciate it, it’s more hate. A lot of people are hating instead of showing you love…whether it’s the crowd, or inside the industry. At the end of the day, people overseas are not trying to compete with you, they’re just trying to feel your music - period. You can’t get that same kind of love here.

I think some fans would say that it’s because the quality of hip-hop isn’t what it used to be. What do you think of the state of hip-hop right now?

It’s like Nas said, the shit is dead. It’s hard to sell. Everybody’s downloading or bootlegging, so rappers aren’t putting up the numbers like they used to. Artists that used to sell 10 mil, now they can barely go double or triple platinum. So that should tell you right there.

Do you think it means that like everything else, hip-hop needs to evolve?

I think I means that there’s too much piracy. People feel like they don’t have to buy albums anymore. They can just download it from their computer.

So the artists aren’t responsible at all? Quite a few fans would say that the reason they don’t buy entire albums is because you can buy a CD with 12 tracks on it, and maybe 3 of them will rock.

Well definitely, but that’s those artists that make three hot songs. Me, I give you 18 tracks, and you’ll get a hot 10, 16…you’ll get a whole hot 18! I try to do it up. But those artists, their shortcomings shouldn’t fuck it up for the whole industry.

Why do you think the South has such a stranglehold on the game now?

The fans want new music. All the newcomers are selling because niggas want new faces. They’re tired of the same old shit, and right now, niggas like Wayne and Jeezy are bringing it to them. But while the South is doing their thing, they’re not putting up any hellafied crazy numbers. I mean, the biggest album is what, Ludacris? Now him and Outkast went like double platinum. But other than that … Jeezy only went platinum. Rick Ross, I hope he went gold or platinum. I haven’t even checked the Soundscan yet. When you achieve 5 times platinum or 10 times platinum, then you’re a force to be reckoned with. Then, you call that a stranglehold. Nobody’s doing 5’s and 10’s anymore. That’s all I’m saying.

How do you juggle the CEO role, with putting out good music as an artist? How do you keep it fresh, and not get too caught up in the business side of things?

I keep my head to the streets. I stay in the streets because that’s where hip-hop is. It’s not the program directors, or the record execs, or even the CEO’s who buy the music - it’s the streets. I cater to them, I listen to them, I vibe off of the streets. You have to constantly reinvent yourself in this game. You have to stay on top of what’s going down. These youngsters decide what’s hot every month, and you’ve gotta know what you’re talking about. Gotta keep an eye on the latest slang, the latest dances, because if not, nobody’s gonna buy your shit.

You’ve also been part of a group, a duo, and you do solo albums. How do you prefer to work as an artist?

I like my team. As far as The Regime, it’s good being part of a clique. But as far as the business, making records? I like being solo. You have more control over the direction of the song. As a group, you’ve got 5 or 6 different personalities, with differing points of view, and that can damn near throw off a song. Say you’ve got three niggas on a track, and the first nigga is wack. People will turn it off after that first verse, or skip to the next song, and they won’t even get to hear your hot shit. Like I said I’m gonna make sure my shit is always hot. I know when I drop by myself, nobody is gonna be skipping any songs. My fans like it better with me solo anyway.

How did you get the name Yukmouth?

From talking hella shit. I’m a shit-talker. I was the class clown, all that.I’m like a comedian...

So, I’ve got some shit to talk then… about your Oakland Raiders. What the hell is going on with Silver and Black?

We suck right now. It makes me mad that I made the song. I still do shows, and I’ve gotta perform that shit every weekend! We need a new coach, and we need a new quarterback. We’ve got the players. I hate to say it, but we’re pieces of shit right now.

One thing Cali still has, is the best green. Why is that?

Because we grow it! I don’t know if it’s the sunshine…the breeze…the weather but it’s the best weed on the planet, hands down.

What do you think of your governor?

Oh…Governor “Ahhnold Svarzanigga”? I haven’t really paid attention, I’ll be honest. I know he’s got things real messed up out here, though. Taxes high, welfare damn near abolished…he’s got a lot of things going down that are bad for business. I don’t know how they put an Austrian dude as our governor. He barely speaks English! He does speeches and you can’t even understand him...

And what do you think about the immigration issue?

What do you mean, the big ass wall they’re building? The new damn Berlin wall? I think they’re just trying to control the drug trade. It’s really not about immigration.

I’m not even gonna go there… we have to save that for another discussion. But, what about Million Dollar Mouthpiece, your new solo album? When can we expect that?

First quarter of ’07. Either February or March. I’m working on it right now. Matter-of-fact, I just walked into the studio. So as soon as we hang up, I’m back in the booth knocking it out.

Anything you want to tell the fans?

I’m still putting out mixtapes. Gonna drop one this month titled ‘City of Dope, Volume 1’. And then after that, it’s the Million Dollar Mouthpiece dropping on Rap-A-Lot/Asylum. So go to www.smokealotrecords.com, get the mixtapes, you can order the apparel, and just stay posted for when I drop the album. Million Dollar Mouthpiece. It’s coming.