YELP

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 18, 2008
i was just wondering if the goons fuck with yelp.
How many of yall write reviews for businesses or read what ppl write.

Trying to see if this is worth investing money for a business i work at.:eek:

Cheaptimes

C'mon now...
Jan 3, 2005
www.twitter.com
from time to time. I know some folks that live on that place though. Some reviews are very helpful. Some are ridiculous. sometimes its better than those customer service cards and a responsible business will actually go out of their way to right a wrong thats happened.
Heard there was a thing where yelp was in trouble for taking money from other businesses to delete negative posts or put their business at a higher level than it should be.
I thought it was a free service?

:ab:

blunt_hogg559
Jul 6, 2005
It's a free service but the company is looking to get paid off of advertising revenue.

I use yelp all the time. they even have reviews for cannabis clubs

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
From what I know Yelp is free. I've used it a few times to look up places I was going to maybe order food from or go eat at it but that's about it. Just like any user based site you have some complete morons on there though. I've seen people give the movie theatre I work at a bad review only because they didn't like the movie they saw lol. Fucking idiots it isn't Rotten Tomatoes.

Dec 17, 2004
^^is that related to yelp?

i use it but take reviews with a grain of salt. usually though if a place has hundreds of reviews and has 4-5 stars...that is mostly a good sign of a place.

i like using it when in an unfamiliar city. i look for the highest reviewd and rated yelp bars and restaurants to get me started on where to go

also gotta keep in mind the type of people that write yelp reviews

when looking for good mexican and youve got white people yelping how great a place's bean and cheese burrito is...might not actually be the best spot

Apr 25, 2002
my biz uses yelp. we have great reviews and generate business off of it. You can upgrade ur business listing for $$$. You get bold listing, higher placement, and more photos to post. we thought about paying them but our reviews are great as is, so we opted not to. If you have shitty reviews, paying yelp aint gonna help.
They did get in trouble for removing bad reviews from paying businesses and supposedly they do not do that any more......

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

i don't write reviews but read reviews on there all the time. But like people said before, take the reviews with a grain of salt...people are pissed about everything

Dec 17, 2004
my biz uses yelp. we have great reviews and generate business off of it. You can upgrade ur business listing for $$$. You get bold listing, higher placement, and more photos to post. we thought about paying them but our reviews are great as is, so we opted not to. If you have shitty reviews, paying yelp aint gonna help.
They did get in trouble for removing bad reviews from paying businesses and supposedly they do not do that any more......
so businesses pay yelp for the website to promote it? paying them has nothing to do with the reviews though right? is that why i receive an email every thursday where yelp recommends certain places?

my friend owns a restaurant and its funny watching him read people talk shit about it. hes convinced some of them come from the competing restaurant of the same type of food on the block

i know some businesses tell their workers and friends to write positive reviews. thats bullshit

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
thats all i need is for everyone to know where i am at all times.....i like some privacy
I don't think you can "check in" at places on Yelp and have it show up on Facebook or Twitter. I never noticed it on there before anyways. Either way I forget the name of the site I always see popping up when people do "check in" at places on Facebook but that is stupid as fuck. If I was younger and didn't know some of my "Facebook friends" that well and noticed they were at Red Robin a hour from their house... I'm just going to leave it at that.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I use it alot...Especially the app they have for the iPhone 4

Plus I know our company takes the reviews REAL serious. So if you ever want free shit from a company, just go on and complain about them lol

Nov 20, 2007
I know people who use it to check in on Facebook. Probably not the best thing to let people know what places you frequent all the time or even where you're at. Fools be checking in at what Bart station they touched down at lol.

Jan 9, 2009
i was just wondering if the goons fuck with yelp.
How many of yall write reviews for businesses or read what ppl write.

i fucks wit it. heavy

especially when im in L.A. and the OC searching for the next burger

you cant beat unadulterated peer reviews.

Apr 25, 2002
so businesses pay yelp for the website to promote it? paying them has nothing to do with the reviews though right? is that why i receive an email every thursday where yelp recommends certain places?

my friend owns a restaurant and its funny watching him read people talk shit about it. hes convinced some of them come from the competing restaurant of the same type of food on the block

i know some businesses tell their workers and friends to write positive reviews. thats bullshit
Yes businesses pay for "enhanced listings." more piks, higher placement, and video now I think ect.
Supposedly paying should not affect the ratings. But they got caught and sued, or threat of a suit, for removing bad reviews for the paying customers. Supposedly they do not do that now but who believes that. They call all the time trying to get you to sign up with them. The business paragigm is hipocritcal though, it is a fine line if they are truely on the up and up. They want you as a store to pay for representation, but technically they do not want you as a business to encourage yelp reviews from happy customers because the reviews should be organic and independant. But they want my money at the same time for advertising.