Yawning Man (Stoner/Desert Rock)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
So a co-worker of mine told me to check these guys out about 2 weeks ago and I downloaded their full length and EP. Holy shit is this stuff good. It's all instrumental stoner/desert rock. For those of you that don't know what desert rock is it's band like Kyuss, Earthlings?, and to some extent Queens of the Stone Age.

You can read more about desert rock here. And even more about the Palm Desert rock scene here.

For some odd reason a lot of their stuff reminds of music that should have been in the Kill Bill movies. I guess they are like the forefathers of the desert rock scene having started in 1986 but not releasing any recorded music until 2005.

Here is how Brant Bjork from Kyuss described their influence on hisself, Josh Homme (QOTSA, Kyuss) and the whole desert rock scene in general.

Yawning Man was the sickest desert band of all time. You’d just be up there in the desert, everybody’d just be hanging, partying. And they’d show up in their van and just, mellow, drag out their shit and set up right about the time the sun was goin’ down, set up the generators, sometimes they’d just go up there and drink beers and barbecue. Sometimes it would be a scene; sometimes it would be very intimate. It was very casual and loose and everybody would like, while they’re playing, everyone would just lounge around. They were kinda like a house band. It wasn’t militant like Black Flag. It was very drugged, very stone-y, it was very mystical. Everyone’s just tripping, and they’re just playing away, for hours. Oh, they’re the GREATEST band I’ve ever seen
Anyways, this stuff is really fucking good shit to just kick back and chill to and you should all check it out.

Here is their myspace page. Check out "Stoney Lonesome" and "Manolete" to get a good feel for the band. All four songs they have up are great though.

Here are their two albums too.

Yawning Man - Rock Formations
www.megaupload.com/?d=2c5ewtkc

Yawning Man - Pothead EP
www.megaupload.com/?d=3j9589el

May 1, 2007
I downloaded rock formations, this is a dope band. They have a real surf vibe going on with the guitars I think thats what I like about them most.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Damn, seriously, thanks alot Nutt. When I was home like a month ago my sisters boyfriend kind of introduced me to desert rock and I totally forgot about it till this thread. I fucking love that shit man, I'm probably going to be moving back to WA in about 2-3 months and when I do you need to meet this dude, he has like 700GB of rock and is believe it or not he is WAYYYYYYYY more knowledgeable then you, yeah I didn't believe it till I sat down with him. It will be fucking great though.

Sorry for the personalized post folks. Rock on.

BTW, I'm loving the totally instrumental stoner shit. Anymore?