WTF??? Detroit Hair Wars???? WTF???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 4, 2004
Seen this in the L.A. Times.......

http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-ig-hair-wars-pictures,0,2839283.photogallery

Inside Detroit's Hair Wars
By Kemp Powers, Special to The Times

Automobiles aren’t the only Detroit export that’s taken a hit due to the economy. The Motor City has also long been renowned as a creative center for avant-garde African American hairstyles, with its signature event for almost a quarter century the annual Hair Wars.

Started in 1985 by Detroit-area promoter David “Hump the Grinder” Humphries, Hair Wars isn’t a competition, but more of a runway showcase that allows stylists to show off some of their most cutting-edge hairdos. It was at an early Hair Wars that the “Hairy-copter” (yes, a hairstyle in the shape of a helicopter with actual rotating blades, thanks to a battery pack on the model’s head) first wowed crowds.

At its height in the mid-'90s, the show expanded to a 10-city national tour (including Los Angeles). But the struggling economy brought the national tour to a halt in 2006. Despite having to scale back, Hair Wars is still going strong in its home city, and last weekend more than 1,000 spectators packed the ballroom of the Ramada Plaza Hotel in Troy, Mich., for the 24th annual display of over-the-top hair fashion by such “hair entertainers” as Kevin Carter, Willie “Little Willie” Robinson, Tiffany “Tiff Da Barber” Brummitt and “Weaven” Steven Noss.

Pictured: The participating stylists spend weeks, sometimes months, preparing their signature styles for the show. The models must then show up hours before show time to have the elaborate pieces installed, as was the case with this peacock-style hairdo, shown here during an early phase and ...

... the peacock hairstyle as it appeared on the runway.

Though many of the hairstyles on display are practical, Hair Wars’ claim to fame is its over-the top tresses, such as the obviously titled “I-95” ...

... and “The Mercedes."

Women are the event's primary audience and clientele, but men’s styles were also on display.

A Hair Wars model prepares her makeup before hitting the runway.

The theme of this year’s event was “The Hair Wars Musical.” With the recent death of Michael Jackson, it was no surprise that many of the stylists chose to do musical dedications to the late King of Pop. The most extravagant was the show-stopping finale by Wishbone (a hairstylist from Little Willie’s Hair Salon in Detroit), whose cadre of models reenacted the dance routine to Jackson’s “Thriller.”

Hair Wars is ultimately about accessible hairstyles. While garish creations drew oohs and ahs from the crowd, the vibrant yet practical styles that consumers could request at any of the participating salons had attendees buzzing the most.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Guys too huh? What kinda shit is that? Id have to stop talking to somebody if I found out they were competing in a 'hair war'...

925: Whats up dude?
Friend: Not much, on my wait out the door...
925: Yeah? Where you headed right now?
Friend: My girls just shaved a green, yellow, and purple unicorn on the back of my head, were on the way to our competition...
925: *click*
Friend: hello?

Feb 7, 2006
muthafuckas look like they straight out of Dr. Suess's reproitoire

in a land filled with crime, crack and no autos
cavorts and carols wannabe models
but no secrets do they share for garish is their hair
with weave to their derrieres...
in detroit's year, of war of the hairs

Aug 9, 2002
Oh yall didnt know? It goes down! I think either 95 or 96, HAIR BALLERS OUTTA SAN DIEGO WON THAT SHIT! It be a plethera of bitches.

I know yall remember that picture of ol girl who's hair was shaped like a helicopter? It was posted on siccness a few times. She was in one of those detroit hairshows.

Jun 8, 2004
www.myspace.com
Do you guys remember the helicopter hair style!!?

lol.. That shit has been mentioned in this thread three times already.. Is that the fucking Botticelli Birth of Venus of hair styles or something?

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
that shit reveloutionized ghetto hair

she could only post up next to three-pronged electric sockets and shit

helicopter swangin bandana hangin

that shit is nigga rich

cant afford a helicopter lets put it in our hair

its like those hats with the copter on it but a ghetto version

or like the jamaican dude with the hairstyle of a hat

Jun 4, 2004
Mr. Little Was Big (R.I.P.)
By Kim Hastreiter

I was so sad to hear from my friend David Humphries (the visionary who created Hair Wars, Detroit's awesome hair entertainment competition that I have written about often) that one of the great Hair Wars artists named Mr. Little was killed in a motorcycle accident yesterday. I remember seeing Mr. Little perform miraculous hairdos -- he invented the "hairycopter" (seen at right) -- and he was a true artist and performer. I met him years ago after I had worked on a movie with filmmaker Andrew Dosunmu about Hair Wars. We even did a big Hair Wars party last year in Los Angeles!!!

I once watched him hang a model upside down at the Apollo Theater in Harlem and cut her hair upside down while doing a kind of limbo dance. When the model stood back up again her hair was in a perfect shag. My condolences to the whole Hair Wars family. Rest in peace, Mr. Little. You were big.